1990 TC with 14k Turbo

CollinJ

Hello,

My name is Collin, I work for a wholesale company in Twin Falls Idaho called Sullivans. I buy and sell cars wholesale. I recently had a dealer of mine approuch me with this 1990 TC with the 2.2 turbo motor red in color with only 14k oribinal miles. Does anyone have a value of what that might be worth, I have no idea cause I usually deal in 2005 and up cars. Would anyone have any interest in this car if I can get it bought? I would get pictures and VIN of course

Thanks for your feedback,

Collin

Guest MiamiTVR

Might check Edmunds.com where the values are based actual sales prices not asking prices or Ebay Motors, but then most dealers would know of these sources.

again I work in wholesale so I don't work in edmunds, I work in kelly, nada, and Black Book all day as sources for book values and most of them don't have a "classic" section... Being that kelly calls it a 4,200 dollar car I find it hard to believe that with a collector the car is only worth 4,200 bucks. So I figured I would come to the only forums that has a current TC section and ask the people thats actually like the car or own one.

Collin, You have just had a "rude awakening" in the world of the TC. All the cars that are going for big bucks now, Thru advertising, use, and other means, had a following of youngsters with stars in their eyes and no bucks to buy. The cars that created those stars aged to be worth bucks to those that could not then; but could now afford to buy them big.

Now the TC. It never did "Take Off" and there were too few of them made to create the need that developed in the empty pockets, they were never put in "Concours" events, They never raced, ~ and ~ therefore never brought before the public as a whole. Again; Therefore they didn't know about them, or because of the time frame of introduction; they were Thought of, as second rate copys of a normal car (LeBaron) when in fact they were the source that created that car.

Bottom line: It's just one of those things. Lou

The value of a TC by Maserati isn't that high in the collector market, there are far more cars for sale at a given time than people looking to buy one. I would venture to guess that if you looked at all the car sales sites on the internet that you would find at least 100 different TC's for sale at the same time. A lot of the original owners are trying to sell the cars due to age and just wanting something different, some of the 'new' owners have discovered the TC is not the car for them shortly after buying one. The main buyer group seems to consist of people who already own at least 1 TC and love it so much that they just have to be able to drive different colored versions, or to keep someone else from borrowing the one they love to drive or to obtain spare parts for a low overall price. This just doesn't translate well to high collector values and probably never will.

Guest MiamiTVR

Collin

It is in going against the tide that the best returns are made.

If your confidence that the car is underpriced at over 7K gives you a comfort level that allows dismissing the values determined in the eBay auctions and by the Edmunds folks this may be an excellent opportunity to make a great investment. Hesitating you might miss it.

At the worst it will be lesson learned about markets and pricing and you will have unique vehicle to enjoy and learn about.

Hi Collin,

I have not kept up with this forum, I've been away. Give me some particulars on this car please. 2.2 = 4 cyl. Is it std. or auto.? Color, exterior, Color interior. etc. >????? Lou

Guest StudeDude 01

Collin---the TC is listed in the NADA Classic, Collectible & Special Interest Guide. A 1990 is: Low--$4700, Average--$7375, High--$11300. Add 15% for the 16 valve engine. Let your eyes be the judge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hemi Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A 1990 TC with a 2.2L engine would be a 16 valve model. There were no 8 valve 1990 or 1991 models. </div></div>

My uncle who lives in Sun Valley called me a year or so ago and mentioned there was a TC for sale at an auction. I told him to see if it was a 5 spd car and explained to uncle Marc they were my primary interest. He checked and sure enough it was! He inquired a bit about the car and turns out it belongs to the gent that runs/is involved with the auction. I suspect it is that car and Collin is dealing with the same guy...

FWIW, Marc said the car was VERY clean cool.gif I almost had him talked into the car I think wink.gif

Alan