1936 Olds, help on oil change 0(@!!@)0

Andrew_Benoit

I just perchance a 1936 Olds Touring sedan with old original 6 cylinder engin (running but barley).

First vintage purchase so I don’t know much about older cars.

I need to change this black dirty oil ASAP.

Do I use SAE 30 with some sort of additive (HTDP?)

How many quarts?

Where is the oil cartridge or filter, I could not find it underneath?

Would Napa have a replacement for me; do I need to give them a Part number?

Does anybody have suggestions on mod kits for this old engine?

I would like to keep the original but improve its performance reliability.

Need help badly

Andrew from Delaware

You're one of several 1936 owners on here, so you've got support. I'd also suggest a National Antique Olds Club www.antiqueolds.org membership and signing the car up with the 35-36 Olds Registry.

Car probably doesn't have an oil filter. They were still optional and usually aftermarket equipment back then. It will be mounted on firewall or on a bracket on the engine if it has one, and use cartridge type filters. If it has one you will probably have to take the old cartridge with you to cross reference a new one.

SAE 30 should be OK, though in those years 20w was also commonly used. You can find that at farm and tractor supply stores.

If the engine has never had a filter, you may need to worry about detergent oil breaking deposits and sludge loose and allowing them to circulate thru the engine. For that reason I'd be wary of using a detergent additive. If the oil pan is easy to remove, remove it and clean it out, then you should be OK using any detergent oil.

Let us know how engine performs after an oil change or two, then we'll get into the other questions. Bottom line, even if it currently needs a rebuild, these engines are understressed so a stock rebuild will be plenty. Just remember 30s engines aren't powerhouses in the first place, but they were dependable in their day.

• 1 year later...
Guest buttie36

Hey Andrew glad you purchase a neet car.If you still have it. I have 36 olds business coupe. Had it for yrs but I have 327 in it. Unfortunately the 34-36 oldsregistry is not being published now. It stopped last year 2010. we miss it.

there is no filter used. If you send me your email address I can get you in touch with some guys who are gurus on them.

Regards Butch Conary