Identity these cars in stacked parking (NYC?)

Peter Gariepy

It must have been a very expensive lot. All but 2 of these cars appear to be CCCA Full Classics to my eye, but they're not easy to ID.

The sedan fifth one up from the bottom has what appear to be classic 1929-30 era Packard disc wheels, and the one small coupe near the bottom looks vaguely like a '32 Dodge to me. Beyond that I'm not much help.

Guest Bob Kerr

Can't help with the cars, but the vertical rotary parking lot I saw in an old film once. It was in New York City and was an answer to the parking problem they had even that early. The thing is like a vertical carosel. Cars are parked and the next open slot is put on the bottom for the next car. If someone came to get their they had to revolve the machine around till the car they were unloading came back to the bottom. Had to be a mechanical nightmare and expensive to run all day. In the film I saw , it was running! It may have been one of those early Ford films. We saw a whole slew of those in grade school.

It looks to me like the entire structure is supported by the two columns that are at the rear of the car, and the cars are resting on rails or a platform supported from that side, with the cars driving onto the platform which is suspended from arms over that side. It sure must have been quite a complex design. Maybe not expensive to operate if they only parked cars that were longer term, like all day, and shorter term parking (several hours) left on the ground as can be sen in the photo. However, I am sure it was expensive to build.

It would be interesting if we could learn more of the history, as it is not just about the cars, but the whole auto transportation process.

John

Guest Bob Kerr

Something tells me the thing was called "Rotopark". Just popped into my mind. Here is some food for thought, how many grease fittings are on that thing ?!!!

Here's my guess after intense studying of the photo...

from the bottom up...

1931 Marmon 4-dr.-big squarish rad. shell and a very long car.

1928 or '29 Plymouth 4-dr.-tall, Chrysler like look.

1931 Dodge coupe with spotlight-('32 was slanted windshield).

1931 or '32 Chrysler 4-dr.-low and long.

1929 or 1930 Packard 4-dr.-big with disc wheels.

1932 Chrysler 4-dr.-long, low stout spokes with big caps.

1933 Chrysler or Lincoln coupe-slanted windshield low roof.

1932 Buick coupe.

1931 LaSalle cabriolet-landau bars.

Top car????????????????????