removing a radio

Guest mitch lojek

Guest mitch lojek

having bought a 1947 lincoln continental I noticed that the radio is not working. does anybody know if these radios were fused? there seems to be no power going to the radio.

I also noticed that there is a 3 prong plug near the radio that is just hanging there. is this the aerial?

if all else fails, how do I remove the radio. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mitch lojek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">having bought a 1947 lincoln continental I noticed that the radio is not working. does anybody know if these radios were fused? there seems to be no power going to the radio.

I also noticed that there is a 3 prong plug near the radio that is just hanging there. is this the aerial?

if all else fails, how do I remove the radio. any help would be appreciated.

thanks </div></div>

Well, one thing is for sure, for a radio from 1947 it will have vacuum tubes!!!! The first commercial transistor radio came out in 1954 - http://myweb.msoe.edu/reyer/regency/.

Anyway, you most likely have a bad tube. No idea how to remove the radio, sorry. But I bet there is a lot of room under the dash to work so it shouldn't be that hard.

Have you found the matching socket for that three-pronged plug and tried plugging it in to see what happens? Before doing that, you could put a voltmeter across the terminals to see if there is anything there.

Good luck.

Guest mitch lojek

bill,

thanks for the information.

my first thought was that some tubes might need replacing but when I looked under the dash I saw these unconnected wires.I saw one wire coming out of the radio that looked like it should be connected to another plus these 3 prong plugs.wanting to save myself some work,I thought I would run it thru the forum.

thanks again

There should be a fuse in the line to the radio. I believe it was 20 amp but don't quote me on that.

The three prong plug would most likely be for the speaker. The antenna was most likely a single prong plug that would plug into the radio.

Guest mitch lojek

bill,

there is a lead coming out of the radio that looks like it should be connected to a fused wire. as for the 3 prong plug there are 2 of them. the radio is a wonderbar radio.could one of them be for the foot switch?

mitch

I don't know about the foot switch. I wouldn't think it would need 3 wires to work though.

It's been too many years since I played with these old radios. At that, most were Chevys, Plymouths, and a few F***s. I worked on them because I was too poor to get them fixed, much less buy a newer car. I'm not about to pretend I'm very knowledgeable in this area. I don't doubt if the radio were in front of me I could help you though.

Do you see a speaker inside it? I doubt you do. Most speakers were seperate and some came in another case and sometimes there were tubes in that case.

There should be a schematic inside the radio case and it would tell you what the wires were for.

Guest mitch lojek

the schematic only shows the position of the tubes. there are no wires showing.

I did remove the radio today and found out all the wires were disconnected going into the radio. someone has been fooling around with it and never put everything back. time to get the old tube tester out.

mitch

Guest mitch lojek

assuming you are correct can you put a dollar figure on what it will cost to repair?

being a large fellow,it's quite cramped laying on the floor trying to remove it.would be nice to remove the front seat.does anybody know how to take it out? any help would be appreciated

mitch

• 2 weeks later...