Painting an old garage floor

Steve,

I moved to house 2 1/2 years ago and had the floor painted by Premier Garage. It remains just they way it looked the day they did it. They do come in and prep the floor by washing it and sanding it. The process is expensive but I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Prep is the key part of painting the floor. Good luck with it.

Bob

Steve,we painted our shop floor with poly.concrete paint.Washed it with acid,let dry .Holding up awesome.All the cars we have leak to some point,supposed to ,1914 being the oldest.If you research the epoxy coatings,they recomend a poly top-coat,because they hold up better to the gas and oils,so why spend the bucks for the epoxy?It,s been over a year,even under the lift is fine.

why paint it unless it is to become a museumm or for display only and not a working garage .some years ago i cocreted (cemented )my driveway i did it so i woud not have crawl under my car on gravel or mud since then it has been slowly but surely stained by oil, paint staines , etc , my wife always says to do something about it , my reply is it was laid for the car and the stains add to the patina , (surface appearance of something grown beautiful, especially with age or use .

From what I understand the key to a durable finish is the cleaning of the concrete. All the oil and chemical stains must be neutralized prior to putting down any paint of finish. The U-Coat It people who make a well known floor covering sells some cleaner that must be applied to draw out the oil etc in concrete. Once water does not bead on the surface you are going to paint then it is ready. Everyone I've spoken to that has put down the U-Coat It product is 100% happy with it. But preparation is the key.

I will bet u-coat is an epoxy,research well ,and they reccomend a polly top coat,so why spend the cash.The poly we put down,one day for the acid to dry ,one day painting.we use our shop,old cars all the time,in every bay.Why spend the cash for the epoxy. Durant is right about the cleaning,it must be done as with anything.

Old Car Fan, I think your right. According to the manufacturer you clean the floor, keep it wet, put on the U-Coat It and if you want you can spread particles of color in it. Then you put on a clear coat. Where do you get the Poly paint for your floor, Home Depot? or Lowes? Is there a brand name? Just curious

I researched it for about a year,im in the building trade as well,did my brothers shop with pure poly,The shop is somewhat part time(we both have a daily comentment)but are in the shop as time permits.Like i said on the earliar post,the oldest car is a 1914.They leak,no problems.I will send you the name brand thursday,you will not be upset with the product.

I have painted several old floors, including a dealership building dating back to the 1940s that went through a prolonged period of "deffered maintenance" before we took possesion. The key to good adherance is preperation, as stated above. We used two part epoxy, had to scrape up wads of grease on the floor, power wash with an alkline degreasing solution (you won't have to do this, this was an extreme case of a filthy shop) mop a few times with water and ammonia, then mop with 50/50 mix of water and muratic acid, then paint. Be sure to follow the paint manufacturers instructions re: pot time before painting. We rolled floor jacks, hi-los, everything over that floor, no problems.