65 Wildcat 4-speed project progress

Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel

I've had the Burgundy Mist Wildcat Custom Coupe in a local shop for a total frame off restoration. They have made excellent progress in the last year! This car was "found" be Pete Phillips and listed as a lead in the Buick Bugle circa 2001. I had it shipped sight unseen from Katy Tx and drove it a little- bad oil pressure and a then a bad fuel pump, I removed the dual quads, took it to BG once for the GS nats,

broke the 3.42 rear end and basically parked it.

Before: Detrimmed and with a KW replacement engine...some Camaro 4-speed...

I have had the original trans rebuilt with NOS gears(the high nickel content ones)

Rebuilt the 3.42:1 differential- they appear to be HD compared to the 65 Riv ones I've seen...

DSC00475.jpg

The frame all resto'd

DSC00360.jpg

The real deal ##s carbs for a 65 4-speed- Thanks Jim Wall!!!

DSC00083-1.jpg

A little burgundy paint!

DSC00395-1.jpg

WOW! I'm a fan of the big GM cars when they have unusual drivetrains or options - how few of these were built? When was the last year for 3-speeds / 4-speeds in the full-size Buick? Were the manual transmissions available in all body styles?

Cool!

This will be a great car when completed... I envy you!

Guest imported_Thriller

Attaboy Ted...now I'm going to have to go put on a WOT shirt.

That reminds me that I have a bit to do on my 'Cat yet before the long winter sleep...never enough hours.

Yep, I have my WOT shirt on today!

Doug- 65 was the last year for the 4-speed in the big car...second to last for the nailhead/dual quad feature, so that is one of the attractions of this WIldcat.

<span style="font-weight: bold">194</span> Wildcat custom coupes were built w/4-speeds-

<span style="font-weight: bold">65 </span> Custom coupes with dual quad 4-speed

<span style="font-weight: bold">18</span> Custom coupes with dual quad 4-speed <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> A/C

Mine was originally an LW (single 4bbl 425) -

that is one of <span style="font-weight: bold">65</span> LW + 4-speed; <span style="font-weight: bold">11</span> of those were with A/C

From the Daily Car Report/ Buick Motor Division/8-24-65, pp 212, 214, 216

Ted

Ok Doug, as I understand the Buick Wildcat cars...

62 no manual trans option (subject to further research!)

63 column shift 3-speed std, 4-speed optional, auto=last year for the Dynaflo.

64 column shift 3-speed std, 4-speed optional, auto=ST 400 first year- not super clear on SP feature

65 column shift 3-speed std, 4-speed optional, auto=ST 400 first year for switch pitch

66 column shift 3-speed std, ST400 Optional

In 65 and 66 the Electra and Wildcat shared the same wheelbase but the Electra only offered the ST400.

LeSabre were 3" shorter, offered the column shift, ST300 or ST400.

All other year configs would be a guess to me.

I've concentrated my research on the 64, 65, 66 Wildcats, 65 LeSabre, and 65 Electra. And I liked it!

Cheers!

Ted

Sweet, Ted, so damn sweet! Since you broke the poor thing so many times when you first got it, I'll go ahead and take that one off your hands. Cool? Was this a console/bucket seat car, or a bench? I can't remember. Either way, it is flipping cool!

They made Wildcats in 3-speeds? Who in their right mind would want a 3-on-the-tree Wildcat Custom coupe anyway???

Matt

• 2 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 4-Speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They made Wildcats in 3-speeds? Who in their right mind would want a 3-on-the-tree Wildcat Custom coupe anyway???

Matt </div></div>

Ummmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Maybe not a custom.....

Guest imported_Thriller

That's pretty cool. It's interesting how relatively close the '65 and '66 are in body, but the dashes are vastly different...never really noticed that before.

Looks like a very solid car. Wish I had found it! I had a '63 LeSabre 3-speed stick once, with no power steering. You definitely get a work-out if you have to parallel park one of those! They don't have the big, wide steering wheel that you get in earlier (1950s) cars without power steering.

Pete Phillips

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man is this 3-speed fun to drive. I've got to do the exhaust (waldron's) and then its my summer car this year. It runs great...may need a clutch adjustment...I really want paint and interior, but thats not happening this year. The 4-speed is happening! It is painted, now needs assembly. Dang that engine builder! (me)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wildcat65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No power steering. I'm gonna look like popeye if I drive this thong all the time! </div></div>

Well then, you'll just be muscular like the Wildcat wink.gif

• 4 months later...
Guest mopar440

after seeing your pictures of your 65 wildcat and reading about you buying it out of texas, you described it so much like a 1965 wildcat 425 4 speed car that i owned 20 years ago. i put dual carbs with a hand made oval air cleaner, removed all chrome down the sides and around the fender wells. it was the same color with black interior, bucket seats. i also put on buick alum finned valve covers, 15'' buick chrome wheels and most importantly i sold it to a man in texas. what is the chance it's the same car? i still have pictures and am looking for some papers to see if i can find the vin#. if this is the same wildcat its a great car and was bought new in texas and the owner moved to w. va. where years later i bought it. i am very interested to see if this old wildcat still lives. thank you for any information you have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Why were you rejected from concourse? :confused:

Not sure. The restoration shop owner "nominated" the car after being asked to by a nominating committee member to do so. Just got a letter that said thanks for nominating, but no thanks we don't want the car.

"Mongo only pawn... in game of life. " (Blazing Saddles):rolleyes: