1939 barn find.....finally a few pictures of my Zephyr

Guest DADDIO65

Guest helmsville

WoW that's a great car! my favorite part of the car, is the shifter and dash. does it have a Columbia axle? and did you score a good deal? can we se pic's of the motor? Chris

Guest DADDIO65

Nope Chris, no Columbia, but I only paid.......$800.00 for it. It has a flathead V-8 in it now, but I got the original V-12 for it. I just finished rebuilding it and am getting ready to put her in.

post-58346-143138016432_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138016433_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138016435_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138016437_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138016439_thumb.jpg

Guest DADDIO65

Could anyone tell me the best way to get the engine out of this and the new engine back in.... I have looked but don't think that the engine will come out, or go in with out being attached to the transmission.. would I be correct with this assumption? Any advise with this project would be most helpful.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Jeff, you can unbolt the tranny from the engine but you will need to remove the center vertical console/extension from the dash and then the center floor board cover over the transmission. You can then separate the engine from the transmission( 8 cap screws). You will have to loosen the exhaust pipe, undo the engine wiring, motor mounts etc. Probably remove the radiator also so you'll be able to get the V12 back in. You need to support the front of the transmission while the engine is being removed and replaced.

Looks like you have a fairly late model flathead engine in it now? You may haved to do some "clean up" around the area where the motor mounts are for the V8. Does your V12 have motor mounts?

WOW! Nice score!

Blair, Nebraska eh? We lived in Fremont in the early 1960's before moving to California for 30+ years, then Texas.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to get the V-12 installed. You might be better off to get the car cleaned up and running first. That way you would know if it would run and drive and you would find out what, if anything else needs work before tearing into it. You would also be able to enjoy the car for a while before disabling it. The V-12 would then be the "icing on the cake".

The car will probably need a complete brake job and some new tires as well as a clean-up of the gas tank and gas lines. It would be depressing to get a fresh V-12 engine in the car only to find out that something else needed repairing before you could drive it. (Been there, done that)!

A Columbia axle would be a very welcome accessory. I would recommend Dan Krehbiel of Temecula, California, the Columbia advisor for the Early Ford V-8 club. Dan is also an LZOC member and has been a personal friend of mine for over 45 years. Dan built a Columbia for my 1939 Zephyr a few years ago.

A Webshots photo album of the Columbia installation in my '39 Zephyr can be viewed at: http://community.webshots.com/album/535592120cTKtFX

There is a copy of an original Columbia Axle parts list at the end of that album.

Good luck with it!

post-32768-143138016507_thumb.jpg

Guest DADDIO65

v12 does have the motor mounts...thank god!! Plus I got almost everything else I needed from Rolf and you. Thanks for the help guys!!!

Guest DADDIO65

Phil,

Before it was parked in 1978, the Lester Tires were brand new..absoultely no cracks on them. I took it into where I work, and had them filled with nitrogen. The brakes were also brand new, I did fully bleed them, and inspect them. This thing with the V8 drives as straight as an arrow!! I love it!! My dad just grins like a cat eating... well what ever!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DADDIO65

Well, I got the V12 in the car with the help of my 11 year son....Got everything hooked up turned her over squirted some gas in the carb and the old girl fired right up!!! From the rebuilt carb to the rebuilt distributor, this thing purrs like a spoiled kitten!!! I want to thank Dee, Rolf, Merv and Jake for all of your help with my "Needs"! You all have been a great source of info and parts!!!I'll add more pictures to this site when I have it together! Thanks again Zephyr fellas!!! You are much appreciated!!

• 1 month later...
Guest DADDIO65

Here are a few updated pictures of "The Barn Find"

Thanks for looking, my son and I are having a blast working on this little project. Out with the V-8, in with the V-12.

post-58346-143138031467_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138031469_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138031471_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138031473_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138031475_thumb.jpg

Guest DADDIO65

Thanks for the complement guys, I have really had a blast working on this with my dad and my son. It's amazing how much care was put into these when they were manufactured. Our "plastic wonders" of today are nothing compared to these beauties. It's nice to be able to actually re-work old parts and actually be taught (by my dad) and teach (my son) the way to work on something.

Thanks to all who have helped me with this project, I have worn out countless people with a ton of questions. You all have been more than helpful, and friendy!

Guest DADDIO65

Thanks Keiser, this is far from a muscle car, but I have enjoyed working on this more than anything else. It is quite impressive to see the work that was put into these back in the day. I work in the car business and the cars of today are nothing to compare. What a blast!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest DADDIO65

Actually it is not as bad as it would seem. It drops right in. My son works the lift while I line everything up...we make a pretty good team. My biggest fear is me forgetting to tell him to stop when lowering it in the car... I'd love to keep my hands a while longer..haha!!

Guest DADDIO65

Here is a few more new pictures of the old Lincoln. I just was installing a new windshield, and rear windows, I also got the dash polished up a bit. I finally go the fender skirts to fit right after a little pursuading. SLOWLY, old Abe is coming together.

post-58346-143138069744_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138069755_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138069764_thumb.jpg

post-58346-143138069775_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest DADDIO65

Finally after months of waiting and working, my V-12 will be in my hands. I am going to pick it up Friday night after work and start assembling it. I'll keep you all updated as to how it goes with pictures, comments and I'm sure plenty of my countless questions. Thanks for the help everyone in advance!!! I'll get pictures listed asap, old Abe has really come a long way since my last posting.

Jeff

I still can't get over the $800.00 price. You could probably pay for the car by selling the V8 that you extricated from the it. It is REALLY looking sweet and shiny.

• 3 months later...
Guest DADDIO65

Ok, all is well with "Old Abe". I have put several hundred miles on the old boy, an it runs really well....

New project... I aquired a radio, and with a little tinkering and such I got it up and running. Everything seems to work properly on it. I would like to install it in my "39" however I really dont want to drill into it until I know exactly where it is supposed to go. I was told that inside the engine compartment there were dimples as to where this was to be drilled? I can't seem to locate them.

Would any of you happen to have any pictures you would be willing to share from both under the dash and in the engine compartment? They would be most helpful. Thanks again for all of the help. Oh, I did get some mounting hardware with this radio one crooked bold with a wing nut on it, another straight bolt with a wing nut on it, 2 triangular type brackets, and 2 pieces of flat stock bolted together?? Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Daddio