1956 Century from South France..Hello !

Guest Mimie1956

Guest Mimie1956

Hello everybody,

I'm going to do of my best to write correctly in english

My name is Fred and this is my loved Buick, named Mimie!

Here some pictures:

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff307/davestarskyzebra3/

May be someone has already seen this car in America ?

I bought it in last june in Virginia and the car is arrived in France in end august.

This car has been owned by Donald Lorrier who was a business man in VA.

So what else..

I just to redone the rear break, drained the oil engine more new filter, cleaned the master cylinder and replace all the brake fluid, the next step is to replace the water coolant, replace the grommets links and barre stabilizer bushing, rebuilt the steering box, replace the front bearing..so..many hours of work while the winter coming..

I hope I will speak with someone owning the same car..

Sorry for my bad english..

Best regards

Fred

Guest imported_MrEarl

Welcome aboard Fred. and don't worry about your English, your post made more sense than mine generally do. Sounds like you've got a good start on getting Mimie ready for the road. I love your car. It is the same as the 56 I use to own, in fact I am wondering if it may be it. I sold it to someone local and he sold it to someone in North Carolina which isn't far from Virginia.

Hope you'll make this a regular stop for any help you may need or just a good ol' dose of Buick talk and comradery.

Here's a couple shots of "Phiftysix"

post-32987-14313801581_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

Bonjour et bienvenue Fred!

I'll concur that your post makes more sense than many of MrEarl's wink.gifgrin.gif

You have a beautiful car.

Guest Mimie1956

smile.gif...Thank you very much for your welcome about me

Mimie's 2nd owner was Donald Lorrier and he saw this car the first time in a big car show in Iola Wisconsin.

Wow...what very nice car with 2 doors HT..I love it !

Mimie has not the original colors, she was grey and white for the body and red and black in the interior..but I love it like that..

I'm a member of the American Car Club of France, you are welcome if you want to come in the forum :

http://www.accf.com/forum/index.php

Just take a look ! Everyone is welcome !

You can post and write in english too..

I hope to read you again...

Motoring friendly..

Fred

Guest imported_MrEarl

YIKES!!! I did not even notice that your car is a 4 door so no, it can't be my old one. But I bet it's not the first time the excellent design of this period 4 door hard top cars has fooled someone. I love the 56 4 door hard tops.

Thanks for making my day Fred. My 56 Super is a nice car, but it needs a lot of work. Don't misunderstand me. I love my car. I think it will be with me for the rest of my days. We've owned it since 1974, and this summer it's run better than it has in many years. We also have kept it licensed and registered for driving for most of these past 34 years, taking it to Flint Michigan for several Buick Club National Meets. But the car deserves a real restoration and that is just not fiscally possible for me right now. Still, when I drive it my smile is fatter than the whitewalls on your beautiful Century.

Here's one thing you may want to know. Be careful of your rear bumper trim. These are the "J" bars you may hear us talking about from time to time. Your's look to be in perfect condition and they are not available, at a realistic price, anywhere that I know of. The correct exhaust tips are around although they are also very expensive. There are two types of exhaust tips that people sell for the 56, one is a chromed tip that attaches directly to the exhaust pipe. They are Buick authorized accessories but not the correct tip. The correct tip is attached to the bumper by a hangar and then the exhaust pipe lays inside the tip. The correct ones have a stainless steel cover over the metal that forms the tip.

Good luck

Guest ZondaC12

Very nice. Awesome '56!!!! That must stand out so well against the the collection of autos you see on a typical day there. I think a renault clio could fit INSIDE that!!! laugh.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

Hello Fred,

What area of southern France are you from? I tried looking up the area in your profile, but none of the mapping software found it. I only ask because I have an aunt and uncle south of Bordeaux, in Dax (near the Atlantic).

On my father's side, we hail from the northwest - Alsace-Lorraine region...Thionville is where one of my ancestors was born.

Stunning! Good Grief Leif! I could not live in the same house as that car. It is beyond beautiful, and I would say it was gorgous if I knew how to spell the word.

Is that a two tone blue with the light blue steering wheel?

My daughter spent a year at the University of Perpignan which is at the very Southwest part of France on the Mediteranean, I believe it is in that area. It borders Spain.

My wife's uncle lives in Issoudun, which is pretty much in the middle of the country.

Leif, fantastic car.

Stevo

Guest Mimie1956

Hi my friends..thank you very much for your congratulations about Mimie..

I'm living in South France at 25 kilometers from Narbonne and 30 kilometers from Béziers.

Perpignan is from 100 kilometers (60 miles) I think...

I'm born here after workin 6 years in Marseille and 8 years in Paris

I love this area beacause the sun shine 300 days by year, the Mediterarean sea is from 36 kilometers and I like so much to fish..

Zondac12...

A renault Clio...oh my god !!

A really little toy with so much electronics which fail so much often..I hate modern cars !

My daily driver is a Peugeot 205 GR...very solid and economic..and when the week-end come..I drive my 1956 baby love.. wink.gif

Leif Holmberg...

Woww...your Buick convertible is fabulous !!

But I think you should to open a new post to present your car... wink.gif

Thriller..

My girl friend is from Metz in Lorraine and for the next Christmas we will go to see his family with my little Peugeot 205 making a trip for 1000 miles !

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mimie1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zondac12...

A renault Clio...oh my god !!

A really little toy with so much electronics which fail so much often..I hate modern cars !

</div></div>

Nice. I think you'll fit in VERY well here...

I picked that one because when my family and I went to Italy in 2000 on Perillo Tours, I remember seeing quite a few clios. I was fascinated by all of these companies I'd never heard of so I paid very close attention to them all. Sounds like I got a little over-excited about a car that's not really worthy of that hahahaha laugh.gif

Guest Mimie1956

ZondaC12...

The main cars manufacturers in France are Renault, Peugeot and Citroën.

My favourites french cars are Renault 16, Peugeot 404 and of course the famous Citroën DS...

Do you like some models of antique French cars ?

Guest Mimie1956

Hi Leif,

Your welcome, your Buick convertible is fabulous, but like you posted some much pictures about it, the reader could be in confusion about mine and your car...

I hope your are not disappointed about my opinion and that you will open a new post to show your wonderful car.

Regards

Fred

Hi Fred and your Mimie 56.

Fred, I took a real look at your car today and I`m impressed about how straight the body looks like and a what a beautiful painting and how shiny all the chromed parts are.I think one of the most expensiv parts here in Sweden is the crome prices.When I chromed all the parts on my 1956 it cost me about $5000 ,that was 1999 and today the price here in Sweden is more than twice as much.

Fred I`m not disappointed ,I was to much exalted.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mimie1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ZondaC12...

The main cars manufacturers in France are Renault, Peugeot and Citroën.

My favourites french cars are Renault 16, Peugeot 404 and of course the famous Citroën DS...

Do you like some models of antique French cars ?

</div></div>

I don't pay attention to foreign cars at all really...but the Citroen DS has always fascinated me. I actually SAW one around here last winter. It was fairly worn out, with a good amount of rust along the bottom as is expected in this area of the country, but it was moving under it's own power! Really interesting looking vehicle.

The SM as well, rather odd-looking but at the same time interesting if nothing else.

I feel like the Traction Avant is a popular/well-known antique Citroen, I do like the looks of those, that's a handsome vehicle.

Of course bugatti's are nice, the very limited Royale is awesome just for its sheer size, of the car and the straight-8 engine!!!!

Now for the BIG ONE.......this is one I WANT. Honestly. 1957 Facel Vega Excellance. The four-door, not the two-door. I like the people-hauler one better. That rear roofline is ahead of its time, as is the front grille in my opinion. I think it's a REAL sharp vehicle. The ONLY thing I would change were I the owner of one, is the wheels, maybe. I can think of a couple good 60s/70s-vintage hot-rod wheels which would look awesome on that car.

Guest Good Old Days

I don't pay attention to foreign cars at all really...but the Citroen DS has always fascinated me.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Hi ZondaC12,

If you ever decide to go to Europe, you have to pay me a visit and I'll let you see where the fascination comes from!

You can meet me in Holland or France, we love both countries very much.

That's where our love for Citroen comes from, the fascination for the American cars is a bit odd, but nevertheless well in place. Nice to see they have a very active club overthere, the French mostly like their own makes, when I tell them I have Citroen as well as Studebakers cars, they think I've lost it somewhere! grin.gif

But looking at Fred's and Leif's cars I can imagine why they choose these breathtaking models! cool.gif

I must admit that when I have to choose between my Citroen DS 23 Pallas IE 1973 or the Studebaker Golden Hawk 1956, I don't know which one I like most. The comfortable DS or the overpowered Hawk, they are so different but both very special to me.

We have a house in the Dordogne region, near Souillac and I know there's a very active antique car Club in Sarlat as well with quite some american cars also.

So Fred, if you're ever in the region, send me an email!

A la prochaine! smile.gif

Carine</span>

post-56819-143138017557_thumb.jpg

Guest Mimie1956

Carine,

Of course..! Many meetings are organized in the South-west of France..maybe we will see us one day..? I hope it.

Zondac12..

You have a good choice with FACEL-VEGA..a rare and very interesting car..

Bon dimanche à tous ( good sunday to all )

smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Salut Fred,

Can you please let me know if there are any events next year in April and September in your region?

It would be nice to meet and take a look at your Mimie!

Is the French American Car Club very active? How many members are there?

Perhaps there will be some more people around in these months to take a look! France is very popular among tourists.

Bonne chance,

Carine smile.gif</span>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mimie1956

Hello Carine,

Good to read you..

The American Car Club of France is very active, I'm a member of this club since 2004.

See the website here:

http://www.accf.com/

Some members of this club are from Belgium, Spain and Canada.

The members of this club are receiving a magazine made by the club itself...a little gem of literature and that every 2 months.

see here :

http://www.accf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9647

The 1956 Desoto Diplomat is offered by the 2009 ACCF's lotery to the winner, everyone can buy some tickets even if you're living in US or Europe.. wink.gif

The last year it was a 1977 Cadillac Seville and in 2006 it was a 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible...

Every years a car is offered to the winner of this lotery.

See here:

http://www.accf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6039

Many meetings will be organized in France and South of France, you can see here a list:

http://www.accf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9942

An international meeting is organized near from my home every year since 15 years now, it's the US Horse Power Show of Valras (34)

You can see a topic about this meeting here:

http://www.amergence.net/formation/MMC/i...73d9310772abeaa

If you are interesting to come to this meeting I will take care to reserve your place for your car..

I will check for a meeting in april and I will tell it you..

Friendly..

Fred

Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Salut Fred!

Nice websites you mentioned, they really made a lot of work of them. I can recommend the sites!

Hope to see you next year! smile.gif

Carine</span>

• 1 month later...

Bonjour Fred, vous avez une belle Buick 1956. S'il vous plaît visiter mon site où vous avez le temps. Je ne sais pas si cela a un sens ou non, mais je pense essayer "Google Translate" pour voir si ça marche!

Cheers,

Robert Budd