Lincoln V12 engine modifying

Martein

Hello,

I've recently bought a V12 engine.

That needs a rebuilt / rebore.

Can anyone tell me what the maximum bore will be ? And what to buy the headgaskets from ?

I'm fairly new into this scene, so don't know all adresses yet wink.gif

Are there popular modifications to this engine ? Or do most people keep it all standard (apart from different intake manifold etc ?

Thanks a lot.

Martein

The Netherlands

Guest imported_V12Bill

What year V12 are you rebuilding? I don't know the maximum that a V12 can be bored, but I would hesitate to go more than it needs in order to allow more rebuilds in the future. The blocks on the V12s were very hard and did not wear down much. It seems that most factory authorized rebuilds that I have seen were bored .020. I am sure that they can be bored to .040 and maybe .060. I would sonic test the bores to see if the material is there first before I got into any large bore rebuilds.

Egge in California has pistons, rings, valve springs, small end rod busings and the 49 to 53 Ford valves and solid guides that should be used. Job lot in Queens NY also has the valve sets and offers them as a kit at reasonable prices from time to time. Earle Brown and Alan Whelihan have gasket sets as well as other items that may be needed such as high volume oil pumps. Lifters can be rebuilt, so don't discard them and use solid lifters. The cam shaft should be reground to use solid lifters, otherwise the cam lobes will take on excessive wear. Good luck and let us know how you make out with your project.

Thank you for the fast reply!

The engine is from 1947.

it is seized, and there is little rust in the bores.

I haven't take the engine apart just yet.

So it might be not all that bad.

But I want to take it apart for inspection. It has been stored for years. in a dry garage, but still.

Are there any specific itmes to look for ? Apart from the obvious wear and tear ?

Martein

Guest imported_V12Bill

Check the cam lobes for excess wear. Check the lifter bodys for rust and/or pitting. Forgot to mention before that Egge also has rod main and cam bearings.

I agree with Peecher except for one item which are the

valves,The Flat head ford valves for some years are not rotaetable, meaning they are keyed in one position

and do not rotate like the orginal Lincoln valve assmblies.

If you could stay with the V 12 type E Brown has them.Possibly the valves in your engine maybe salvageable.

Zman

Zman, made no mention about valves? The valve assemblies for all flathead Fords and Lincoln V12's up to 1951-52 were never designed to freely "rotate". They were not keyed but the spring tension on the retainers was such that the spinning lifter didn't exert enough pressure to reliably rotate the valve.

In '52-'53 Ford modified the valve spring retainer to reduce the friction which allowed the valve to freely rotate. If you choose to use this type valve arrangement you must use the '52-'53 valve ( keeper grooves in different position) along with the spring ( it's shorter) and the special 2 piece spring retainer. These parts are hard to find and most have been replaced with the regular valve set-ups used in the '49 to '51 Flathead V8 engines.

• 2 weeks later...

OK thanks a lot for all the information.

I'll have to receive the motor first though frown.gif

It's still in the USA now, hopefully get it late december. Depends on the shippingagent...

I'd alos like to know what gearbox / bellhousing will fit?

I'd like to put a 3spd toploard g/b on it. But unsure about the bellhousing...

Thanks

Martein

Martein, the bell housing on the V12 is the same as all flathead V8 Fords/Mercs up to '48 so any Ford/Merc/Lincoln transmission used on these engines will bolt up to the V12. Your only "bolt-up" choices for a top-loader would be a Ford up to '39, Lincoln Zephyr '36-'37 or a Ford pickup transmission. The pickup transmissions after '42 have the added advantage of an out put shaft designed for open drive but have high ratios in 1st and 2nd gear. I believe you could exchange the gear sets in them with more car-like ratios. If you plan to use an open drive you may want to consider a '49 to '50 Mercury transmission? They will also bolt up to your V12 bell housing.