wheel bearings

Guest daveagain909

Guest weewilly

Is there anything special about reatta wheel bearings? or are they just normal (any car). Are they hard to install? I believe I need new passenger side rear. Should I replace both rears? Should I replace all 4?

Guest CL_Reatta

If your going to replace 1, then you replace all 4, its like brakes, if one side is getting bad you replace all 4.... Never done them on a Reatta so I dont know if there is anything special.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL_Reatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your going to replace 1, then you replace all 4, its like brakes, if one side is getting bad you replace all 4.... Never done them on a Reatta so I dont know if there is anything special. </div></div>

That is absolutely nonsense. Replace one if it is bad. You may not have another go bad for 100,000 miles. There is nothing special about them.

Guest crazytrain2

Just installed new front wheel hub bearings about 3 weeks ago, not to sound argumentative but I didn't change rears and actually have never had to change rear wheel bearings. No big deal to change, you will need a large ( Ithink it's 36mm) socket for hub nut, a (again I think it's a No. 45) torx head socket wrench for bearing bolts, and a torque wrench capable of 260Nm (195 Ft Lbs). For the record I also didn't bother changing the inside seal as the rubber looked fine and saved me from having to pull appart the ball joint and sway bar. I just used some heavy duty marine grease and lubed the rubber real well.

Oh and BTW - best price on a quality (Timkin) wheel bearing that I could find was at RockAuto $62.00 each

Guest CL_Reatta

Okay, so you change one that is bad... and the others might not go bad for another 100k.... I always hated the idea of having ONE item out of FOUR that is new... It's not like its hard, or that expensive... and its preventative maintanance. I mean okay, the chances are then that in 30k miles you will need to replace another one, and then 40k more replace another.. and it becomes a cycle of always doing work.... just replace all 4 at the same time and your set.... simple logic, If a windshield wiper is bad do you replace just one, and leave the other one that will fail eventually on there?

Guest steakneggs

I always only change the bad one using the logic that the vehicle could be totaled, stolen, sold or I might need the $ for something else. Look at the thread where someone has to sell their Reatta but is losing $2K. That will never happen to me. Steak

Guest weewilly

Thanks I will give this a try when I recieve the bearings hub assys in 4 or 5 days , I ordered from the parts bin and got 2 for the back for $149 for both which included shipping. I hope this is not to hard. I will change the brake pads at the same time. (then if I can do the back ones I will do the fronts. (the fronts seem a bit more complicated?)

Guest Bobby Valines

I would think that if you replace everything that might go wrong with the car you would spend a lot of money, and time, and your wife would probably strangle you in your sleep.

Guest CL_Reatta

I'm not saying reaplce EVERYTHING that might go wrong, but just saying that simply reaplcing wheel bearings all at once is a good idea.... Or atleast re-pack them (for non sealed bearings that is) Lets not argue... I'm done, I dont want to fight with the people I have so much respect for.