Removing 77 Master brake cylinder

Guest abh3usn

Guest abh3usn

I'm in the process of removing the master brake cylinder. I've got the three lines off, two nuts off the housing and can't seem to remove the brake cylinder from the power brake booster. How does this come off? The manual just says, "remove brake cylinder" I assume there's some connection with the booster but can't make out what it is from the manual. Help!

From either 1976 or 1974 on Girling used a non-return valve that I believe screwed into the booster ("servo" in Brit-speak). I'm fairly certain that it's supposed to slip out of the master cylinder when you pull the 2 apart. It may be stuck with a dried out o-ring sticking it in place, or something similar.

Try soaking the connection between the 2 in silicon lubricant or something else that won't harm rubber (just in case). If there's a bad ring in there you'll probably want to replace it anyway, however.

(BTW, if you're having trouble finding online help for this try googling "servo" and not "booster". You'll likely do better.)

The good news is if you wind up hammering on the unit to seperate the 2 and break the valve it's available from The Roadster Factory for about $35. (See the link for a picture of what this thing looks like.)

Good luck!