Dixie Flyer "Firefly" speedster photographs.

Bernie,

Larry beat me to it, but....

It was great talking to you and seeing the Dixie Flyer.

I would post the photos that I took of it, but John beat me to that as well.

Can't wait to see what you are up to next!

Hi Y,all

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. We are presently staying with good friends Jim & Christine Williams in Sth Carolina. We move to Long Island and then to New York for a week before flying home on July 30 It has been a real pleasure to meet so many of you. Something that we will never forget.

THANK YOU

Bernie J

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rockpick

I'm upset that I didn't get to meet you, Bernie. I was actually at Kentucky Trailer shortly before you all moved it over to the old manufacturing facility. You had not yet arrived at KYT that morning -- I was there to see Dan & Neal (I do a bit of environmental work for them).

I did, however, get a moment to check out the car. Unbelievable work, sir! I hope you had plenty of towels with you - I drooled on it several times. Beautiful piece of work!! Thanks again for getting it back over to this side of the pond -- it's rightful place is here and I know everyone was happy to see it in Louisville.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

We are now safely home in Australia. The Dixie Flyer is to go to the AACA Museum at Hershey for approx six months while Kentucky Trailer prepare its new home at their Logistics Road complex so this should give more people a chance to see it.

We arrived home on Saturday morning having left New York on Thursday evening. What a trip! We don't know if we even want to think about another journey quite like that again for a while.

Having said that, today (Monday) I have removed the gearbox out of the 1934 Lagonda Rapier in order to attend to an oil leak that has been bugging me for some time. We have two major driving events coming up shortly so want to have the problem rectified before then.

With that out of the way the decks should be clear and I should be just about ready to think about another project.

It was really great to meet so many of you at Louisville and all your comments are much appreciated.

Happy motoring!

Bernie J.

The Photographs that everyone has been hanging out for. The Dixie Flyer right back at its birthplace. The Kentucky Wagon Mfg Company's (1876) works at 3rd Street Louisville.KY.

These historic 1850s industrial buildings are now owned by the University in Louisville and are scheduled to be bulldozed in the near future.

post-51681-143138270515_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138270522_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138270528_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi

Now that we have been back in Australia for just over a week I have started to tidy up in preparation for the next project. I have some items left that are too good (valuable?0 to send to scrap,

First two Herschel-Spillman 4 cylinder engines one dismantled the other as found, These were used in a number of early 1920s American cars Dort probably being the most common.

also

Two Dyneto 6 volt generators Both are dismantled but could be a good source of parts approx 8 inches long and 4 1/2 inches in diameter.

Free to a good home but recipient pays freight.

Bernie J

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

To turn the last page of the final chapter.....

I am reliably informed that the Dixie Flyer was delivered to-day to the AACA Museum at Hershey where it is to go on display for a limited period giving all those people who did not make it to Louisville a chance to see it.

Bernie J.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

For those unfamiliar with my most recent previous Restoration Project may like to have a quick look at some of these pages. At first glance it makes the Packard Coupe look like a piece of cake.

Bernie J.

• 1 month later...

Now almost two years since the Dixie flyer returned to Kentucky and into the care of the Kentucky Trailer Co (previously Kentucky Wagon) the story continues. Dan Murphy a senior executive with KY Trailer has managed to acquire an original Dixie Flyer dashboard clock. Rather than replace the "Roadster" clock I had fitted to the Firefly's dash they would like to display it in the companies collection. KY Trailer's Marketing Administrator MaryBeth Tomes has contacted me asking if I can unearth any details regarding the clocks manufacture etc. I have asked her to forward me some photographs.

Bernie J.

post-51681-143139089808_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139089811_thumb.jpg

Thank you Bernie for your excellent work. It was fun to review this thread and refresh all your challenges and successes.

That is a beautiful clock. Will we be learning more about the procurement story behind this clock? I'm sure there is curiousity about it, other than mine. Do you know HOW they are going "to display it in the companies collection"? Granite, marble, black walnut, old wagon wood or...? Will it be possible to have your son (or was it son-in-law?) the jeweler/clock builder examine the Dixie clock?

Sorry for all the questions, I know you are a busy man,

Chuck

Hi Chuck

Re the procurement of the Clock. My friend Anthony Bryant who lives in a village if Suffolk England sent me, in Melbourne Australia, an e-bay link for the Clock. I then forwarded the link to Dan Murphy my contact with KY Trailer in Louisville Kentucky, Dan then bought the clock off e-bay.

Unfortunately my son lives some two hours drive away at Yarra Junction in the beautiful Yarra Valley here in Victoria which is in the south east of Australia. A long long way from Louisville. I understand they are going to display it in a "shadow box". Perhaps either Dan or MaryBeth can log on and tell us some more. If you go back through the thread to where I acquired the "Roadster" clock which I put into the Dixie Flyers dash you will see that the Dials are very similar.

Bernie j.

• 5 months later...
As up to 120 people have downloaded my photographs there is at least some interest so why no replies? For those who may doubt my ability to restore the dixie Flyer I hope to have some progress photographs soon. In the interim here is one of my Lagonda taken in England in 1957 showing fairly much as it looked when I purchased it in 1979.

Bernie, if anyone had any doubts about your abilities back then , I'm sure they don't have any now.

• Like 1

:):) I know how you all love photographs. Here is one taken just an hour ago. I had just fitted the two front wheels having collected the hub-caps from the platers two hours earlier.

Let me remind you that there is just six weeks before the car has to be ready for shipping to Louisville.

Bernie J.

That wall looks familiar somehow. I seem to remember seeing a Packard Vicky there.

• 2 months later...

I followed this series from when I first started on the forums in 2010. I remember how hard it was to find a picture of a Dixie Flyer. Here are some pics of a 22 touring and its dealer,Potomac Motor sales of Washington DCPosted on HAMB's "Vintage shots from days gone by",pg 2339 by ehdubya. go there for the larger shots.

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: alt2, width: 175][/TD]

[TD=class: alt1]<!-- icon and title -->icon1.gifRe: Vintage shots from days gone by!

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->29100v.jpg

Potomac Sales Co. front

Potomac Sales Co. front

29106v.jpg

Dixie Flier, 1920

Dixie Flier, 1920

29117v.jpg

Dixie Flier

Dixie Flier

30151v.jpg

Potomac Sales Co., wreck

Potomac Sales Co., wreck

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

"the whiff of a beaver lovers noise and burned pistons" - translate.google.com

<!-- / sig -->[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2]user_offline.gif [/TD]

[TD=class: alt1, align: right]<!-- controls -->[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have recently purchased a 1921-3 Studebaker Light Six, this has the same wheels as the Dixie Flyer & I am reminded that I had a wheel wrench to fit the hub caps, This went  with the car back to the Kentucky Trailer Co in Louisville ( previously the 1860s Kentucky Wagon Co). This has reminded me about the car and I cannot help wondering if anyone has seen it since? Last I heard of it it was on display in the companies executive block.  I hope that it is allowed out for some special occasions.

Bernie j

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I hope someone may have interest in this. I am in the process of clearing out a family estate. There is a Herschel Spillman engine, a radiator and a fuel tank available if anyone is interested. My grandfather had a 1919 Dixie Flyer and this is all that remains of the car. The engine and radiator were covered up outside. The radiator was stored inside. I would like to find a good home for these items. The property went up for sale recently and will close in June of 2019. I don't want to see these go to a scrap pile. If anyone is interested, contact me at sierranw@comcast.net. 

Perhaps not a photograph but a heavily re-touched one. Here two of the Firefly Speedster taken in Louisville The first one has to be one of my favourites taken on the actual Kentucky Wagon Co factory floor where the car was first built.

The second one at the AACA Anniversary Show also at Louisville.

This brings me to the point of all this. Does anyone have any up to date info on where the car is now and if it has been driven (ever)?

Bernie j.

Unknown.jpeg.4b54854d94abad46e027b2e163b1dd35.jpegdsc_4275_thumb.jpg.c1fac503908040f3ac1231e8d51806d2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Wayne. My name is George Albright of Ocala,Fla.  I am a longtime AACA and HCCA member and automotive historian. I would like to buy the Dixie Flyer parts to make sure they are preserved. I may end up donating them to a museum. I am on the board of the Garlits drag racing and antique car museum here in Ocala for 30 years. I'd like to offer you $500 for any parts that show up plus I will pay shipping. I can mail you a check Monday. Where are you located? Please contact me on my cell 352 843 1624  or by email  gnalbright@gmail.com   Thanks for you consideration. These parts must be saved. Sincerely George

11 hours ago, George Albright said:

Hi Wayne. My name is George Albright of Ocala,Fla.  I am a longtime AACA and HCCA member and automotive historian. I would like to buy the Dixie Flyer parts to make sure they are preserved. I may end up donating them to a museum. I am on the board of the Garlits drag racing and antique car museum here in Ocala for 30 years. I'd like to offer you $500 for any parts that show up plus I will pay shipping. I can mail you a check Monday. Where are you located? Please contact me on my cell 352 843 1624  or by email  gnalbright@gmail.com   Thanks for you consideration. These parts must be saved. Sincerely George

George, note that Wayne left his email address in his post.  sierranw@comcast.net