Dixie Flyer "Firefly" speedster photographs.

Hi

This my first time on this part of the forum. I have been an AACA member for two years now. I joined when I first acquired the Dixie. The restoration is progressing well with much of the chassis work and suspension completed. The engine total rebuild is currently nearing completion and the gearbox is in the process of having new gears cut. Five Budd wire wheels have been rebuilt with new 23 inch rims and new double butted spokes I hope to have it up to rolling/running chassis stage by the end of this year. which brings me to the body. I have the sheet metal for the four mudguards the scuttle and hood but will need to build a new timber frame and panels for the tail. What I am really looking for is any photographs of the 1922 "Firefly" speedster body. I have a copy of the original sales brochure showing the 3/4 rear view but really need some more detail. I am hoping to have the car completed in time to ship to Louisville for the AACA 75 celebrations in July 2010. Yes from Australia!

My other car is a 1934 Lagonda Rapier that I have owned since 1979. It has taken my wife and I on four tours to the U.K., France, Spain, Switzerland and Northern Italy. We are in the middle of planning our next visit next year (3 months) when we hope to catch up with friends in England for a tour of The Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and France then back to the UK for a couple of events there. All in the now 74 year old Lagonda. I turn 72 in November and my wife turns 70 slightly later in the same month.

Now what about some assistance on those Dixie Flyer photographs.

oldcar.

e-mail <hel_bern@21century,com.au>

Regarding the bottom photo of Helen and the Lagonda Rapier at the summit of the Stelvio Pass. The gold label in the centre bottom of the windscreen is for participants in the "Drivers Parade" at the LeMans 24hour race. the little one on the right hand bottom corner is for entrants in the Grand Prix de Tours (Tours France) both events attended during our 2004 European Holiday. For those interested in "what makes them tick", the Rapier has a 4 cylinder 2 OHC 1500cc engine fitted with 2 x 1 1/2 inch SU Carbs. It runs on premium unleaded having a 9.5 : 1 compression ratio. It drives through a 4 speed ENV preselector gearbox. It cruises comfortably at 60 mph and has a maximum speed of 95+ mph. The body is a style called an Eagle 2 seater. Over the 6 years of manufacture less than 400 Rapiers were built with a wide variety of body types. This particular car was rebuild after I bought it in 1979 . It was then a broken down racing car having been raced in the UK between 1950 and 1978.

The Lagonda factory did not build any bodies on Rapier Chassis opting to send the chassis out to individual coachbuilders.

• 2 weeks later...

As up to 120 people have downloaded my photographs there is at least some interest so why no replies? For those who may doubt my ability to restore the dixie Flyer I hope to have some progress photographs soon. In the interim here is one of my Lagonda taken in England in 1957 showing fairly much as it looked when I purchased it in 1979.

post-51681-143138013202_thumb.jpg

Where was the Dixie Flyer manufactured? I never heard of this brand before your posting. Sounds like a worthy project. I imagine you will have a tough time finding parts. By the way, the Lagonda is a very fine automobile, and a real beauty. I think there is one in River Hills, WI. (Just next to Milwaukee...) Yes, please post some of the shots of your work in progress.

You are probably now aware you are looking for a very rare item. I just browsed Google looking to find some place for you to inquire but found nothing new after reading the "Prewar Car" account of how few are known to exist.

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/k/kentucky/kentucky.htm

has a short history about the Louisville, KY builder and page 438 of the Standard Catalog Of American Cars 1805-1942 has better details of the company history but no photos of a "Firefly" speedster.

Perhaps you could inquire at a Louisville, Kentucky library in case any photos survive in a collection.

Try this link to Louisville Free Public Library:

http://www.lfpl.org/branches/main.htm

Stude8

Hi Stude8

The AACA Library staff have been a huge help supplying a mountain of printed material. I can't thank them enough. I have been searching every available corner of the world but to date have only discovered one complete and running Dixie Flyer (1918) in Iceland (yes that is ICELAND) and another early car in a dismantled and possibly incomplete state right in its birth place, Louisville. Sadly its owner is not interested in either restoring the car or selling it. It was his fathers car and feels that he should keep it.

As far as I have been able to establish after more than two years of intensive searching my car is the only example of the HS 70 still in existence. Judging from its serial (chassis) number it must be one of the last cars to leave the factory. I have managed to track down and spoken with the families of several of the original owners here in Australia. This includes discovering two engines (one just 4 numbers different to my engine) on a farm still belonging to the grandson of the sales agent in a North-east hill country town here in Victoria Australia. Both had been used to power various pieces of farm machinery. Both left out in the open fro between 50 and 60 years.

Bernie J. (oldcar)

I can't get the attachment picture to open?

On my screen it shows as a small white check box with a red "X" inside. When I right click on it I get the drop down menu for "show picture", left click on it and it just reverts back to the original screen??

Have you followed the web site photo attachments process carefully?

Stude8

Hello Oldcar,

I can't help but make a comment about your Lagonda! What a pretty speed car. I do not care to spoil your Dixie Flyer dialog but could you please post a couple of more pictures or start a new discussion about your Lagonda? I would really like to see a rear shot and have you add, if you will a few more specs. on your car. I am in process of building an Alvis TA-14 special, so now you know my interest. It would be nice for you to post a few of your "in progress" images of the Lagonda as you completed your restoration. What wheel base is the car, what size wheels did you go with, etc? I apologize for my questions but hope you will appreciate my interest in your beautiful car. Not much British here in the western US State of Utah.

Regards, Alan

A book I have shows that the Dixie Flyer was made from 1916 to 1924 or so. Why are there no photos of any for all of those years made? I have never even heard of them until this forum and believe me....I have seen a LOT of older cars in a lot of places and books. Just an observation.

Hello Stude8 Sorry about the "no show" of my pics, I followed the instructions precisely but for some reason( perhaps because I have an Apple) they have not come up. I will try reducing the file size even further and see what happens. I now have a heap more (Dixie Flyer progress) photos to post so may have to send them e-mail to Peter for him to post. I will try one more time here.

post-51681-143138013619_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138013621_thumb.jpg

Hello Alan. Attached are some more Lagonda Pics taken just today. 1. shows the "office", note full instrumentation inc 100 mph speedo and 6000 rpm tacho.

2&3 show the engine from either side. Engine is 1500cc 4 cylinder 2 OHCam.

The Lagonda is definitely not a show car but a much used "driver". We have just returned from a VSCC of Aust interstate rally. This involved a total of 1750+ miles in 5 days. As mentioned earlier it trundles along comfortably at a steady 60-70 mph all day. Oil pressure 70 psi, radiator water temp 70 degrees C.

at 3250-3600 rpm. For passing modern traffic 70+ mph in third gear at 4600-5000 rpm. Note floor mounted "pre-selector" quadrant gear lever. Instant changes!

post-51681-143138013622_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143138013623_thumb.jpg

Hello Alan

If you e-mail me I can introduce you to the President of the Alvis CC of Australia. (a personal friend). The Lagonda was restored in 1979-80 so it may take a little while to sort out progress photos. It is a "Rapier". Wheel base is 8 ft 4 inches. Track is 4 ft. The English"Automobile" magazine had a good article about Lagonda Rapiers in the April & May 2008 editions. I will try to find a couple of rear view shots for you. 19 inch wheels are standard, my car has 17 inch with 500 tyres

e-mail Bernie J.<hel_bern@21century.co.au>

oldcar

you have probably already know this but anyway , one of the books i have say's that the dixie flyer was absorbed by the national motor car and vehicle corp in 1922 which in turn also ceased to exsist in 1924

One last Dixie Flyer pic. The cylinder block fresh out of the chemical "hot tank"

The porting arrangement is interesting! The three bottom ports are inlet, the center is from the other side of the block and feeds into a pre-heating chamber below the exhaust.

post-51681-143138013629_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan

You may be confusing a hyphen and an underscore.

the address is <hel_bern@21century.com.au>

for the "underscore" you go to the hyphen key and select uppercase (shift) What you are probably doing is just hitting the hyphen (dash) so it comes out<hel-bern this will then bounce.

Hope this helps, if not if you give me your address I will e-mail to you then you will have the correct address.

Bernie J.

Hello Bernie,

I don't know what was wrong with email. I had tried earlier to post you a message, to your email address, by copying your address and then to paste in the address bar. But the third try doing it the same way must have went to you as I didn't get a reject message. Hope to hear from you. I have several other questions on your Lagonda that I will ask on email. Have a nice day.

Regards, Alan

Hello All,

Here is the latest development in the Dixie Flyer saga. My jeweler/instrument maker son has been doing some work to recover the original magneto switch for the Dixie Flyer. This was seized solid with the key solidly in place with little chance of recovering it. He has managed to dismantle the switch and has made new insulation collars after freeing up the works. It is now ready to go back together and another "box" can be ticked. One thing I am having trouble finding is a Sessions car dashboard clock ( silver face) from the late teens or early twenties. anyone got one (in any condition) on their shelf.

I think I see your photo posting problems. the filenames need to be simpler.

Example:

BAD: Dixie Mag Switch 1 jpg

GOOD: Dixie_Mag_switch_1.jpg

BAD: H & KG at REIMS.jpg

GOOD: h_kg_at_reims.jpg

Spaces and non-standard punctuation in a filename is bad.

Hope that helps.

Peter

post-31494-143138015641_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan

Had not forgotten you. I will check with him and send you his e-mail address. I have been busy on the Dixie Flyer and can't be in the garage and at my computer at the same time. I have to keep plugging away at it or it will become another of those "Gunner" cars. something that I don't believe in!

Bernie J.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bernie

Sorry, no speedster photos but I did find this item in a re-printed publication called CARBOOKS, Volume 21, 1922 which lists all? cars avalible in 1922 as listed in the English Autocar magazine. It also lists the English agent as North Western Motors Limited, Mersey Chambers, Liverpool.

Not sure how clear it will be or if it will even come out as I haven't tried to post photos on this forum before

David

1923 Metallurgique

1931 Rolls Royce Phantom 2 Continental

IMG_4724.JPG

Hello Bernie,

What a nice shot of Alvis auto's, with a skiff of snow. What is the Alvis on the right, in your last posted picture. Do live very close to an area that has much snow? Here in Utah, we sure have season changes, snow and COLD weather in the winter. I live about 150 miles from the area of Utah that hosted the Winter Olympics.

Regards From Utah,

Alan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alsfarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Bernie,

What a nice shot of Alvis auto's, with a skiff of snow. What is the Alvis on the right, in your last posted picture.

Alan </div></div>

That one caught my attention, too. Beautiful!!!

Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">I thinks that's a Speed 20.

Beautiful picture from the hares, I've never seen so many at one time!

Thanks for posting it, Bernie</span> cool.gif