Charging system on 16

bobs1916

Guest oldsmobile1915

starter / generator... does it crank? If so the generator "motors" which means it's most likely not at the starter / generator but the regulator. My suggestion is Dyke's Automotive encyclopedia (which can be downloaded free from google in google books) roughly the 1918 edition. It will have trouble shooting techniques, adjustment how to's, and rebuilding instructions for your starting / charging system. If you can't find it right away, email me at "ritthesis at yahoo dot com" and I can give you the link directly.

Best of luck,

Guest oldodgeboys

I didn't know you can download Dyke's on Google books. I took a quick look this morning but couldn't find how to download it. Does it work for other Dyke's editions also; I'm looking for the 14th edition (1926)? thanks

Guest imported_RAH

Bob,

You did not mention the serial number but generally a '16 should still have the 4 wire N/E model 'D' unit. (up to 90,000). This unit has the cutout relay and vibrating regulator relays built into the unit. Remove the top cover and check the fuse. As a rule the generator function does not 'kick in' 'till around 10 mph and self regulates to max output around 35. As speeds increase past that it will decrease and even go back to nearly zero if travelling very fast. Adjustment on these early units are tricky and not recommended. The Model 'G' or later 'GA' have adjustment screws on the back.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest imported_RAH

Bob,

On the model G (with fuse on rear) the slotted 'adjust' screw is recessed and so marked. The lock is opposite the center bearing plate. On the model GA ( with the fuse in a tub on front) the 'adjust' and lock are 5/16" hex screws adjacent to each other. Rotating clockwise increases output.If these do not make a significant difference it may be time to consider a rebuild. Good Luck.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest imouttahere

"Check out what has been going on in my shop with my Oldsmobiles and tell me what you think!!"

OK, I think this is a Dodge Brothers group and, in all candor, I am not too interested in Oldsmobiles.

Also, there is no need for a Dodge Brother to refer to Dyke's when there is a plethora of D.B.-specific repair information available.

Roger

thanks

that's what I wanted to know. I have a model GA ....BUT if a rebuild is needed would you suggest getting the correct starter generator rebuilt as I do have one... Are these early units (4 wire) as reliable as the GA? Also is there a recommended rebuilder of these units that you are aware of??

thanks again

bob

Guest imported_RAH

Bob,

I presume you are a Dodge Brothers Club member. Send me a personal email (address in DBC News) and I will discuss rebuild of your existing Model 'D' unit off line.

Guest imouttahere

Have it rebuilt locally by a good generator shop. There's nothing magic about it that a good generator repair person can't fix. DB starter-generators are so heavy that shipping them is virtually cost-prohibitive; or at least, shipping both ways will cost you more than the rebuild. Have the local generator shop diagnose the problem; then buy <span style="font-style: italic">only</span> the part you need and have the generator shop install it.

Furthermore, I have found from sad experience that some of the DB parts companies that advertise rebuilt starter-generators do a shoddy job. At least with a local generator shop you have some control over the result, and can take it back and complain if it doesn't work right. If you buy a rebuilt and it doesn't work, it would not be cost effective to return it, so you can't really effectively complain.

Talk to Rodger Hartley in Tacoma 253-752-7901. He is the DB Club Tech. Adviser for 4 cyl cars.

Also he knows a lot ablout the electrical systems.

REmember he is on PST.

Jack