1931 90 series cabriolet worth?

Janousek

Hello, I'm interested in buying a 31' cabriolet but it's hard to find information about the value. Old car price guide puts it around 50k but doesn't even seem in the ball park. Car was restored tip top in the mid 80's. Seems like it was around 99 points at the time and has a ccca first prize badge. Laquer paint is starting to craze a little, needs a new top to look good again, and some of the chrome will need redone. Underneath is very nice. Frame and bottom of the fenders were done in emron without any pits and looks great. Just laquer crazing here and there. I think it needs tires also to be a safe driver as they are flat spotted and 25+years old. I'm not looking to make money on the car but I don't want to start in the hole either. Any opinions or experiences would be great. Thanks, Brad

Thanks Mark,

I haven't seen that site yet. Seems more in the ball park than the old car price guide. It's a family sale so I want a fair deal for both parties. I still think it's hard to go by these book prices because of the rarity of the car. Auction prices have the values of most old cars screwed up also. If it was a camaro it would be pretty cut and dry but I also wouldn't want it if it was.

Hello Brad,

I did a 5000+ hour concours restoration of my father's 1931 96C and I can give you input on what the car you are looking at is worth. I can also tell you about some recent sales of 31 90 series convertibles as I have been watching the market for several years now.

A 1932 96C sold at Meadowbrook last year for $215K A 1931 Buick 94 roadster bid to $148K and was a no sale. A 1931 Buick 96C sold off Vaultcars.com a year or so ago for $143K.

If I was looking at a car ready to drive and enjoy, I would consider 50K a really good deal based on the fact that there are only a handful of these cars left in existence.

My father is the technical advisor for 1931 80/90 series Buicks for the BCA.

Regards,

John

post-41766-143138006253_thumb.jpg

John,

Thanks for the input. Were the chrome spokes an option or just something you wanted? I've seen your car online before and always wondered why they are chrome. Very nice color combination. I saw the two cars at the RM meadowbrook auction last year. I can't remember the 31' but the 32' was a perfect car. The car I'm looking at was always a good car. It wasn't a rotten mess that was restored. Just a good old car that was done right. Well let me say that I wish it was 50k but unfortunately it's not. I did see a red 31' cabriolet for sale at the 2003 flint national for 110k I believe. Might have been 100 but I don't remember for sure. I think I'm paying to much for the car but it's sentimental to my wife. If I had plans to freshen it up with a strip and paint,top, tires, and some plating then I think I'm OK based on the auction values but I'd be going backwards if I go on book prices. It's a fun car to drive that always puts a smile on my face but the brakes stink. I was gonna go over the system and if I can't get them to a satisfactory level then I'll probably design a hydraulic system that isn't to obvious. Cars are meant to be driven but safety first for the people involved and the investment. THanks again for the help.

Hello Brad,

The chrome spokes were a legitimate accessory in 1931, though very few cars ended up with them.

There are only two legitimate colors for the 31 96C: black body and fenders or two tone blue, martinique blue light and martinique blue deep with black fenders. My father's car is the latter. We had several sets of original paint chips and I must have made 15 trips to the paint store to get our colors to match the original chips.

Regarding the brakes, they will work fine if you get them properly adjusted. This assumes the linings are in satisfactory condition. One other option to consider is relining all wheels with kevlar linings. Will reduce stopping distance by at least 20%. Again assuming everything is adjusted according to the service manual.

Regards,

John

Also, I have a line on another 1931 96C, a very original car, he would like 75K, but would likely sell it for 65K for quick sale. I photographed it on several occasions 15 years ago for reference while restoring our car.

Heres a pic of the car when it was at meadowbrook a few years ago. I'd be interested in some pics of the original car. Only thing is an original car can gobble up money in exponential amounts. Where would you send the shoes for kevlar lining? That is a good idea. I've also heard that the drums are steel instead of cast iron. This makes them get hot quicker and isn't as porous as cast so their is probably less friction. Is anybody casting them out of cast iron?

post-57481-143138006466_thumb.jpg

Hi Brad,

Here is contact info. on Kevlar brake linings:

KEVLAR BRAKE AND CLUTCH LININGS

KEVLAR, THE same fiber used in bulletproof vests, is now available to the agricultural market to line brakes and clutches in farm machinery. “We are the inventors and manufacturer of the world's only 100% Kevlar fiber composite brake and clutch lining,” says Nick Bade, marketing director of Tribco, a company that has been selling the linings for 25 years to industries outside of ag. “You'll find us on UPS trucks and in smaller applications like wheelchairs. Now we are selling to the ag market because farmers are wanting it for their tractors and harvesters.”

Tribco says Braketex brake linings and Clutchtex clutch linings last three to five times longer than traditional linings made from asbestos, sintered bronze, and molded graphite to help reduce downtime and maintenance cost. The material is designed to work in wet or dry conditions and in heavy-duty farming applications without scratching or scoring rotors and drums. The company stocks replacement brake pads, brake plates, brake bands and clutch plates for most brands of farm equipment. For parts not in stock, the company will reline a used part or fabricate a new replacement part. Price depends on the specific part.

Contact Tribco Inc., Dept. FIN, 1700 London Rd., Cleveland, OH 44112, 216/486-2000, visit www.tribco.com