Replacing windshield

Hi All,

Unfortunately, my windshield had a chip that turned into a pretty good spiderweb crack - it's time to get it replaced.

I went to the replacement place and they had some concern over removing the top chrome trim piece - they think it's glued in and they'll have to slowly cut it away from the car and re-use it for installation. As you all know, finding another trim piece is difficult to impossible.

Has anyone been through this, and if so, what was your experience and how did the glass installers remove the top trim piece (without damage!).

Thanks for any help - Bill

Hi Bill, Someone else must answer you with specific information. I will say that our trim pieces are not so different than any other convertible on the road. If that is a good factory approved shop they should have access to manuals specific to them just like a mechanic or body/collision shop has for thier parts. Maybe you should check with a good Collision shop in your area.

Good Luck, Lou

I've taken that top stainless piece off in a J-yard before, it's been a couple years but I do remember it's not glued but there are some hidden screws. IIRC, the plastic recievers for the 'centering pins' for the top have to be taken out because there is one screw holding the stainless on each side. I think I have the header piece somewhere... If I can find it in the shop blush.gif it will show the screw locations better.

Alan

Guest mtworkshop

It comes off real easy - it is getting the #@$%^ back on that is difficult.

I got an after market windshield installed because there were no TC windshields available. For some reason when the wiper comes to a stop it leaves a white streak at the end of travel. I have changed wipers and wiper fluid. I have cleaned the windshield and the wipers. I still have a streak. It wipes off with a micro fiber rag but who wants to run around wiping windows all day. Ideas??

Mike

Try it, It has solved some strange streak & spot problems for me. I ran a trim shop many,many years ago, and we replaced a lot of windshields we always had to clean them with a lot of windex and a sharp razor blade, inside & out, we found all kinds of crazy films on some new windows. Was yours cleaned real good, anyway,before Rainx it must be cleaned real good.

Good luck, Lou

Bill

I had the windshield replaced on my 1991, by a auto glass shop in Pasadena CA, with no problems. THey took out the old and put in the new while I waited. It is not a Maserati replacement, but apparently it is a stock size.

JOE

1989 cab,honey, black: 1991 red Honey, beige