Tillotson JR5 carburetor

yirgaman

Not that I want to cause trouble, but My January 1932 Motor Annual Show catalog shows the JR-5 as being the carb supplied with the Durant car for that year, which according to my other refernce books say the '32 Durant is a slightly face lifted 1931 carryover into 1932. How different are the two carburetors? Would they interchange?

Larry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yirgaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not that I want to cause trouble, but My January 1932 Motor Annual Show catalog shows the JR-5 as being the carb supplied with the Durant car for that year, which according to my other refernce books say the '32 Durant is a slightly face lifted 1931 carryover into 1932. How different are the two carburetors? Would they interchange?

Larry </div></div>

Larry - absolutely no trouble. Respectful dissention is the biggest promoter of knowledge.

I don't have a Durant Master Parts Book.

However, the original Tillotson Master books show that the J-5B (superceded the J-5A) was sold to Durant for both the 1931 and 1932 model years. The JR (the "R" meant "replacement") is shown in the Tillotson book as having replacement applications only.

Possibly Durant decided to use the JR series as O.E. and didn't tell Tillotson. Maybe someone with a Durant parts book can tell us for certain.

Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

This is all very interesting. My carb is a J4A on the 32 and 33 is a J6A. Only 8 model 633's were built in 1933 and two exist. Couldn't find any info on the J4A or J6A and assumed it was because its Canadian.

Interesting to find out where you got the info Durant made cars after May 4 1931 when it failed. DeVaux was created out of one of the failed Durants plants in 31. Then Continental Motors after that until 1934.

Group of men got together and Dominion Motors was created here in Canada in Leaside, out of the failed plant, to continue the 614 and 618 Durant's to end of 1932 ,using up the US parts. Mine might well be the last 614. They also created the Canadian Frontenac mid 31 - 33 which was sort of a 1931 and a half 619. Few 619's around because of the failure. Not many Dominion cars either. Seems cars noted with other year than manufacture is based on registration date. ie: made 1931 but sold 1932 or 1930 sold 1931. We have a few here like that also. 1930 Durant down east is registered as 1931 but VIN number places it 1930. Both our Durant sites have loads of info inc VIN each year and new info / unknown cars keeps coming out of the woodwork. Durant unlike Ford made what the public wanted, so we have odd ball cars not in brocheurs. Durants motto instead of a Good Car should have been no two Durants the same. Thats what lead it to failure.

Norm

Ah I see the carb man is the same site I pulled Durant, DeVaux and Continental carb info off of two years back and wondered why he didn't list the Frontenac and Canadian Durant's carbs. His list needs tweeking also for models and years. Its still a useful list if one is trying to determine what carb should fit what model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Durant _32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah I see the carb man is the same site I pulled Durant, DeVaux and Continental carb info off of two years back and wondered why he didn't list the Frontenac and Canadian Durant's carbs. His list needs tweeking also for models and years. Its still a useful list if one is trying to determine what carb should fit what model.

</div></div>

Of course the list needs tweaking! And we welcome information to help us tweak it!!!

I started compiling the data in this list in 1967; so it has been a long term project.

A number of types of sources have been used for data. These include:

(A) Carburetor company original documents

(B) Automobile company original documents

© Brabham insurance data

(D) The "Standard Catalog of American Cars"

These sources were chosen as being the most reliable to my knowledge. However, we have found errors, and as much data as we have copied, I am sure we probably made some errors.

As stated in several locations on the website, we WELCOME additions or corrections to the posted data. However, we do request a photocopy of original company documentation (example: if we incorrectly listed a model/year for Durant, then send us a photocopy of the applicable page(S) from a Durant factory parts book, a Durant service manual, or even a sales brochure). We will make the change.

As to why the Canadian models were not listed?? We did not have the data. We would be happy to list them if the required copies are forwarded to us.

Jon (owner of www.thecarburetorshop.com )

Ah so you don't believe what the cars have on them eh ? If you find any brocheurs on the Dominion Motors cars I'm sure we would love to get copies. As for models and years you can get this off both DMAC site and Terrys listing of cars. Like yours Terry's site has errors too. I'm not finding fault with anyone. In the 60 / 70's we had absolutely nothing to go on up here in Ottawa about the Durant's. We had Durant's and Star's in the club and could only look at each others cars for ideas. Of course 1929 to 1930 was like day and night and absolutely nothing fits from one to the other except tires / tubes. 28 looked like 29 and 30 looked similar to 31. Now with internet holy cow there is information out there. Until last year I never knew my orig 1930 614 in the 60's was special issue.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/durant/

http://www.durantcars.com/basics/history.shtml

Both have been a lot of work trying to unravel Billy's empire of cars. To bad most people don't know his name like Henry Ford or Louis Chevrolet. Louis worked under Durant as a manager and Billy created Chevrolet out of the Little Car Co. Billy also created GM and almost had Ford to add to his pile of Co's until Henry backed off at the last second.

Jon .. I saw no where on your site to contact you over email. Sure can't just walk in from Canada. It was 2 years ago I pulled the Durant info hoping to see the after Durant Motors info 1931 to 1933. My 32 614 has a J4A Tillotson and the 1933 633 had a J6A. There are only 2 633's in existance and so far only two 614's for 1932.

The 1935 parts catalogue to customers has W8A Tillotson designed for all 22A motors 1930 to 1933 Durant and Frontenac. Correct 1930 614 is a Stromburg U2 and 407 is a U1. Tillotson's 1931 and after. I assume by 1935 they were flogging one carb to fit all cars in order to get rid of inventory at very reduced prices. ie the W8A was orig $25 but now $13.95. Remember Dominion Motors stopped production of cars 1933. I assume some government thing required Co's to have parts for 2 - 3 years after or they just tried to recoup costs of all the excess stuff they had. Dominion's records seem to have vanished like the cars. Its possible that their are no brocheurs, and owners manuals were left over US stock from 1930.

• 2 months later...

Norm (Durant_32) - I have now found another Tillotson book in my library, and acquired a couple of more Branhams, and have "tweaked" the Durant section of our database. Here is a link to the revised data:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/PkitD.htm#PDURANT

Sources used were Branham Guides 1920 ~ 1935; Tillotson Carburetor manuals; Rayfield Carburetor manuals; Stromberg Carburetor manuals; Schebler Carburetor manuals. In each case of the carburetor manual sources, the listed carburetor is shown as being sold to Durant for use as original equipment.

I would appreciate your comments.

To others reading this thread:

The Tillotson book DEFINATELY lists all of the JR series carburetors (JR-1 through JR-7) as being aftermarket replacement only. That is not to say that some small vehicle manufacturer may have bought the A/M replacement carbs and used them as originals, but Tillotson does not show this.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Jon. I haven't been in here much and this site doesn't send you an email saying someone has replied etc like our DMAC Forum one does.

I note you added 621 and 622 carbs but its not believed these cars were ever made. (Thats like the DE-VO mid 30's DeVaux was going to build. Note you don't have that one either but there's speculation one was made and survives in S.A. Most agree it was never off the drawing board.) Didn't say they weren't as none have come out of the woodwork so far. That's like it was a question mark if the Canadian 1933 633 was ever off the drawing board until a coup and sedan were found and they both use J6A's. Photos of the two cars can be seen in DMAC site under Durant then photos then 1933. Its believed 8 were made. You don't list the 611, Canadian 614 31 / 32, 617, 618 nor any of the Frontenac's 1931 E, 1932 670, 1932 685, 1933 C400 or 1933 C600. I know the pic I have of the only known (so far)C600 has a downdraft carb whatever carb that is, perhaps Marvels the Continental's had. Your books seem to miss our Canadian cars. Durant Motors itself was history by end of 1931 having failed May 4 1931. Hence our Dominion Motors June 1931 and DeVaux US also short lived to become Continental Motors.

Its all very confusing I can tell you. My 1935 parts catalogue just says W8A for all 22A motors which is all the after 1929 Durant's and Frontenac's 6 cyl. I know it has to be a generic thing as the 1930 614 I owned in the 60's has a U2 carb. Ont DMAC director's 1932 670 Fronty has a J4A as has my 1932 614 Durant. He has parts books that list the 1931 Frontenac E as J4A, Another book that lists J7A for the 1932 Fronty 685. He says "Yet other literature from "Durant Frontenac Motors" Jarvis Street, Toronto. This was the offshoot company selling all the stock left over after Dominion Motors folded 1933. W8A Tillotson carburetor for all 22A engines. This was a later carb and supposedly superseded the previous numbers."

Another member here has a 1933 C400 Fronty and he tells me there seems to be a number of these parts catalogues to 1938 all different and some show J4A, J6A and J7A. None show the J5A or parts for the 619 Durant as that was made briefly US only. All our reference books / catalogues are for Leaside (Toronto). I know similar catalogues were floating around the US flogging unsold parts at reduced prices and they would have the 619 and but perhaps not ours ,since Canadian only. You see them on ebay now and then. We know the 633 was built having found two and perhaps a 3rd ,plus the catalogues mentioning parts for the 633's.

Norm