Boat tail ?

Guest Microautos

I think it is a '27 Essex. Car spotters guide shows the boat tail was available in late '27, and I know it was available in '28. The belt line looks more like the '27 than the '28. When I enlarged the photo, it looks like the rear hubcap is the hex shaped cap of the Essex.

Frank

Guest Microautos

Thank you, I was also leaning towards the Essex, but did not have enough information. Thank you all for your input. Regards from sunny San Jose.

If that is what it is, it should have a funny gearbox. Second gear is direct, which is the normal top gear where you would expect to find that; but where indirect second should be you should find an overdrive. Probably the axle ratio was a little lower. I understand that the English racing driver Raymond Mays used a hotted-up Essex six as tow unit for the trailer that carried his Brescia Bugatti.

About 1963 a fellow in Sydney offered me a good 1929 8 cyl Pierce Arrow sedan, but he would not sell (probably only worth about 20 pounds at the time), but only exchange for one of those overdrive Essex Six speedsters. I have never seen one, and have no idea what happened to the Pierce.

Ivan Saxton