Road Trip! ROAD TRIP!! 13,433 Km 8,347 Mile Road Trip!!!

Guest EDBSO

EDBSO is from the "Old School" on the forum and has added a great deal of insight, knowledge, help, fun, and friendship to the forum members. He recently sold his Reatta, but what is to say he won't get another (and most likely will)....but/regardless...Doesn't Matter. His pictures of his 8000 mile trip and vacation were for enjoyment of the members of the forum who know him, and to be honest...they offer what most of us Americans' have not seen (I have not)of some of The More Marvelous, Amazing, and Absolutely Beautiful Parts of the Country we live in. In anything else, his pictures are Positive Education. Robert / EDBSO is ALWAYS welcome here .... with or without his pictures smile.gif (.)

I don't have pictures or graphs,

Starting July 10 drove my pick-up which was towing my Reatta from Georgetown, TX to just north of Indianapolis.

1106 miles.

Then the drove the Reatta from there to Flint and back. 594

Then back to Texas, another 1106

6 days later we drove back to Indiana for a wedding 2212 miles round trip.

5 days later we drove the Reatta to Topeka for the Hartland Regional meet. 1300 round trip

In 52 days we drove over 6,320 miles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great pictures, but am I missing something. Where's the Reatta connection?

TT </div></div>

yes, I would think that you are missing lots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nic walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">EDBSO is from the "Old School" </div></div>

I prefer "Founding Member" but "Old School" is OK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MauiWowee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At what point on the graph did your journey begin? cool.gif </div></div>

August 1st. This might help.

+105 degree temperatures killed mpgs in Palm Springs and to Phoenix.

The 48 mpg was going into CA where they have a "unique" vapour recovery system so I could not possibly top off the tank.

CA formulated gas also cost some mpgs.

g1.jpg

The math;

Ottawa to San Diego and back by a circuitous route. 13,433 KM 8,347 Miles

Over 211 Canadian gallons average 39.4 mpgs

Over 254 US gallons average 32.8 mpgs

over 962.82 Liters average 7.17 Liters per 100 Km.

I exceeded the old and new EPA mpgs for the whole trip!!!! YAHOO!

1250UK.png

So some of my aerodynamic mods have worked because I did not travel at 55mph or 60mpg or 65mph but higher. So even more impressive.

Going up the huge hills and mountains the XRS wouldn't pull itself in 6th, 5th and sometimes not in 4th. Some long 10% grades took the cruise set in 3rd. That hurts mpgs but you do what you have to do.

Hi Barney;

I know that over recent months you have expressed an interest in increasing your mpgs.

The EPA highway rating for my car is 28 MPG (US Gallon) the old EPA rating was 30 MPG (US Gallon) and we all know that he old EPA ratings were almost impossible to achieve.

My 32.8 MPG (US Gallon) is 9.33% better than the old EPA and

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #009900">17.14% Better</span></span></span> than the "NEW" PA ratings.

This describes what I did. Not mentioned was the Amsoil Synthetic Transmission fluid.

Guest CL_Reatta

WOO HOO! for packaging tape!... dont let Billy Mays find out, he will start selling "Enhanced grill blockers to save gas!.... for only $19.95!"

I do like the underbody thing though... much like travel trilers use in a way

Fabulous pictures Robert and thanks for sharing.

Also thanks for the link to your aerodynamics project. Some very interesting concepts on this site. I can’t seem to pull myself away from it. Imagine, yesterday I didn’t even know what a vortex generator was!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CL_Reatta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOO HOO! for packaging tape!... dont let Billy Mays find out, he will start selling "Enhanced grill blockers to save gas!.... for only $19.95!"

I do like the underbody thing though... much like travel trilers use in a way </div></div>

NASCAR uses tape over the grills to reduce air resistance and increase speed.

BMW use the concept on some of their cars.

I would recommend that the Reatta be converted to a bottom breather by completely closing off the grill.

Thanks Brian; We had a great time