1989 service manual needed

Guest Falconman

Guest imported_Falconman

I have been watching ebay but have seen no 89 manuals for sale. There is currently an 88 but was not sure what it might not cover for the 89. I noted in one post someone mentioned a downloadable manual (perhaps to cdr.) Anyone know of a printed manual someone might sell or details about the downloadable type?

Thanks

Guest alex_houston

If you should find an extra copy of the '89 please let me know. I am also interested in one. The CDs available on EBAY are a waste of time to me because they are too hard for me to read. Same with the downloadable version. I guess I am just a dusty old book kind of guy.

I am working on an '89 and the 88 manual I have is mostly wrong. My '90 manual is closest as far as I can tell but still it is not totally correct.

My '91 manual is useless to me but I am keeping it so some day I might have a set of all 4.

I have an extra '89 manual available. It is in my possession but I do not own it. Anyone interested in it please send me an email and I will immediately contact the owner and see how much he wants for it. It is "shop worn" and the outside cover has clear tape on it but all the pages are there and serviceable. If someone wants to make an offer that might also be helpful.

I can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Rawja:

Have you ordered (or anyone else reading this) this manual from Helm? I ask because they show it as available only as a reprint. I take this to mean that it may not be bound, but rather loose and would need a 3 hole binder. Also, is it complete?

I seem to remember they had a disclaimer that some reprint manuals may not include full schematics. This makes no sense at all (they should have the full manual to reprint), but it said it on the order page when I went to order a 91 manual.

I ended up finding an almost new original on ebay, and still paid less than Helm wanted. So, I guess my two big questions are: is the Helm reprint manual complete, and how does it come (bound w/original style covers, loose etc.)?

If it comes just as an original, then the high price isn't too unreasonable in my opinion. If it is done very cheap, 3 hole punched and missing some electrical pages then it is of very little use.

Anyone here know for sure?

KDirk

Guest DAVESWF

Service and Owner Information

> Buick > 1990 > Reatta > Shop/Service Information

Narrow Search: All media types Paper Only CD ROM Only

Is this the one you would want to order from HELM ?

1990 Riviera/Reatta Service Manual

Price: $105.00 In Stock - Reproduction of Original

(English, Paper, 90BUICKE)

Dave,

Yes, that is what I was looking at (except it was for 1991) on Helm's site when I had gone to order it some months back. Like I said, I ended up finding one in near new condition on epay for a fair amount less, and could be assured it was a complete edition.

My question is still this: Is this item listed as "reproduction" a dead-on exact replica including original cover stock and color pages in the transmission section, or is it a cheapened version that is not fully bound, or is perhaps missing some portions (as noted as a possibility by their somewhat vacuous disclaimer).

Really all I want to know is if someone here has ordered a reproduction manual from Helm and can speak to whether or not it is the "real thing".

Would really appreciate any replies to that affect.

KDirk

Guest MauiWowee

I have one from Heln for my '91, and although I don't have an "original" to compare it to, it seems to be complete. It is a soft cover bound edition, no holes. With use, some pages are breaking loose of the binding, but most of my manuals like it do the same. It is still a valuable resource. cool.gif

Daniel,

Nothing wrong at all with Reatta.net. I just seem to work better from a paper manual. Using an online manual is ok sometimes, but I find it awkward, and printing pages (even on my high speed laser printer) takes time, paper and toner. Those with inkjets could spend a fortune in cartridges to do this. Plus, I kinda like having a full shelf full of automotive "bibles".

KDirk

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KDirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just seem to work better from a paper manual. Plus, I kinda like having a full shelf full of automotive "bibles".

KDirk

</div></div>

Ummm.... It may be one of those "generation" things.

(I'm with ya Kev} cool.gif