Reconditioning Lever-action Shocks?

LennyDaVinci

Let me reiterate, I went and looked to see what it was exactely I had, first is a 4 page article looks like a factory bulletin written on the delco lovejoy shock, it clearly gives a description and a very good parts breakdown and all sorts of other info in those 4 pages that I cannot read as it is written in French, ah I just see that Stevie G is from Montreal, maybe you can decipher what it says if you are interested, by the pictures it clearly looks as if they are explaining how they work and maybe adjustments ect. It is not a DA shock but nearly identical, my guess would be 1931-1932, internally looks nearly identical biggest difference being that the shock uses a metal arm to attach to spring versus the cloth strap that the DA uses. I was just going to have it translated when I needed it. Next article is only a two page that I believe must have been in the D.B. newsletter and it is callled changing seals on lovejoy shock absorbers, written by a Ben Bereza of Thompston Conn. that had a DA and was tired of the bumps, it is what I used to rebuild mine, I say rebuild but technically they are not rebuilt as there was no machining involved. Dissasembly, cleaning, resealing the bores and final assy, it goes into good deatail of every aspect of operation and is what I believe could be considered as close as can be got to rebuilding the shocks without owning your own machine shop. If anyone is still interested than I will scan both articles and e-mail them to anyone interested tonight, I know how to post pictures here but I also know there are sizing regulations and I dont know how to make it just big enough to be readable but not oversize. Let me know...Jason

I will try it here first, see what happens, if not than I will send it to any e-mail address that is given or has been given, only allowed 5 pictures so here first is the 4 pages in French in case anyone can read it, and if you can how about telling me what it says

post-48869-143138001272_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138001274_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138001276_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138001277_thumb.jpg

Hello Dan, I am assuming that you have parts books for a 29 Chrysler, would you tell me if the part# 115897 or 117542 appear in your books, I am still searching out carpet snaps for my car, I have been able to secure 8 of the 10 males but still have yet to see firsthand a female which is the second # I had given. I believe these must have been used in other makes and years of cars and it would help to know which ones, thanks in advance

Have you tried filling them with hydraulic shock oil? If you can't get that, hydraulic jack oil is a good substitute.

Maybe that's all they need. They may well start to work until the oil leaks out. Leaks can be stanched by winding string around the shaft, at least that's how they did it in the old days.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just joined this board I was reading some of the more recent posts, and this one caught my eye.

Skinned Knuckles did an article earlier this year on shocks, and at the end of the article they referenced an earlier article about rebuiling the Lovejoy shocks that could be ordered. I ordered the article and was very pleased with it. It was very detailed, well written and laid out all of the steps needed to either clean/service or completly rebuild the shock. If you are in need of help on how to rebuild a Lovejoy shock I highly reccomend this article. The only thing from the article I do not reccomend doing is clamping the shock body in the vise. A piece of scrap steel plate with two 1/2 inch holes, three inches on center, for the mounting bolts works much, much better.

• 2 years later...
I have good literature on rebuilding the shocks yourself if you like a copy let me know.

I've just joined the club and am very interested in info on rebuilding the Delco Lovejoy lever-action shocks on my 1949 Cadillac. They leak from the shaft end; I the arms off the shaft and see that the rubber seals are badly worn. Any info you may have would be greatly appreciated. EdK

Hey guys,

If your looking for someone to recondition lever style shocks I'd recommend S.G. Leslie and Sons in Heidelberg West. They did mine and are know for their excellent work. In fact their is factory is so close I reckon I could hit with a rock if I was a good shot as it just up the road from where I work. You could call them and ask for a quote and if you wanted to you can send them to me and I'll hand deliver them for you.

Hope this helps

Ian

• 1 year later...

I dont know it it would help but I have instruction book for the 65. I may have one for 75 but I would have to spend more time digging