Cadillac? LaSalle? What is my grandmother's car?

keiser31

My guess is LaSalle, looking at he headlamps and the cap of the spare wheel. Also the wire wheel Buffalo size I think corresponds to the size used by Stutz rather than the larger size used by Cadillac and J Duesenberg. I used to have the rear body shell from one of these which was a Fleetwood. The car from which it came had been converted to use as a crash tow truck. (I gave the body shell years ago to a friend, Guy Menzies, who had several LaSalles).

Ivan Saxton

I should have specified that it could not be the earliest 1927 LaSalle with the slightly smaller clinder bore, because those had larger profile louvres for a greater length on the bonnet sides. Similarly, cars made in 1929 had bolt-on wire wheels instead of the Buffalo; so it is most likely 1928.

Ivan Saxton

Hi,

Re. the wire wheels - Both Cadillac and LaSalle used wheels from the American Wire Wheel Co., Buffalo, NY (Buffalo wire wheels). Cadillac used the big 6 inch locking caps (like Duesenberg J) and LaSalle used the smaller 4½ inch locking caps (like Stutz). The locking caps look like 6 inch ones to me. Thus, the car is a Cadillac.

The 1929 Cadillac had little wing handles on the splash apron compartments and the 1928 Cadillac did not have the handle with wings. Thus, I believe the is a 1928 Cadillac. See the attached images.

Grandpa

post-52807-143137999797_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143137999799_thumb.jpg

Hi Again (as a continuation of my prior post),

The 1928 Cadillac has the parking lights on the cowl, as shown in vintage pictures posted by Keiser31. The 1929 Cadillac has the parking lights on the front fenders. The attached picture is a 1929 Cadillac of the same body type.

Grandpa

post-52807-143137999833_thumb.jpg