79 4 speed cutlass

tryinnmikey

All the 1978-79 4-speed Cutlasses were 305 Chevy powered. 4-speed wasn't emissions certified with any other engine. A 260 or V6 could have a 5-speed, but it was a weak unit and designed more for gas mileage than performance.

I can't find a production breakout. Total 1979 Calais production was 43780 cars. All my books say the four-speed floorshift was standard with the 305 engine, TurboHydraMatic optional, and I'd be willing to bet most had an automatic. I know of a few 4-speed cars, mostly Salon-based slantback 442s.

Bottom line: it's rare enough to be interesting, but not rare enough to be especially valuable. The Chevrolet engine turns off hardcore Olds people, and most of the interest in this era car is Hurst/Olds.

I ran into an OCA judge once who claimed they never built a Cutlass Calais before 1985, when a 78 was sitting there in front of him complete with K47 VIN. Asked him to explain Calais-based 83/84 Hurst/Olds? and he said those were Supremes. Not in this lifetime baby...

Try www.oldspower.com . That site is oriented to 78-88 Cutlasses and someone there may have a better idea of production and value.