antique night driving

jarcher442

Just got antique plates on my 1979 jeep truck (with modern lighting)and am getting conflicting stories on night driving. State police say "no way, it's a $108 fine. Penndot says I can, all the notaries say I can. No where does it say you can't drive at night with modern lighting. The one notary who worked for Penndot claims it is not so much what the manual says, it's what it doesn't say. Schedule 67.6 of the pa. vehicle code states "§ 67.6. Use of antique and classic registration plates.

No person may operate a vehicle with antique or classic registration plates for commercial purposes or for general daily transportation. Permitted use is limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar uses, and for occasional transportation. Occasional transportation means no more than 1 day a week'. and MV11 form says "5. Inspection Classic and collectible vehicles are subject to vehicle safety inspection annually. Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, but must have their original lighting equipment. Antique vehicles are not subject to the annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique, classic and collectible vehicles are not subject to emissions inspection." Penndot is supposed to send me paperwork showing I can drive at night. I'm thinking this is what they are going to send me. ANYBODY OUT THERE KNOW FOR SURE? I havn't been stopped yet but want to be prepared.

The "normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code" are contained in 75 PA Code Section 4303. They read as follows:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> § 4303. General lighting requirements.

(a) Head lamps.--Every vehicle, except trailers, operated on a highway shall be equipped with a

head lamp system in conformance with regulations of the department. The regulations shall not

prohibit a bus from being equipped with devices used to carry pedalcycles on the front of the bus.

(B) Rear lighting.--Every vehicle operated on a highway shall be equipped with a rear lighting

system including, but not limited to, rear lamps, rear reflectors, stop lamps and license plate light, in

conformance with regulations of the department. If a vehicle is equipped with a centrally mounted rear

stop light, a decal or overlay may be affixed to the centrally mounted rear stop light if the decal or

overlay meets all applicable State and Federal regulations.

© Turn signals and hazard warning lights.--Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles and

pedalcycles, and every trailer operated on a highway shall be equipped with a system of turn signal

lights and hazard warning lights in conformance with regulations of the department.

(d) Identification, clearance and side marker lights.--Every motor vehicle, trailer and

combination operated on a highway shall be equipped with a system of lights which may include

retroreflective reflectors, identification, clearance and side marker lights in conformance with

regulations of the department.

(e)Equipment exempted by regulation.--Antique motor vehicles, animal-drawn vehicles,

implements of husbandry, commercial implements of husbandry and special mobile equipment, if

operated exclusively between the hours of sunrise and sunset and not during periods of reduced

visibility or insufficient illumination, may be exempted from certain lighting equipment requirements

of this part by regulations of the department.</div></div>

The referenced "<span style="font-style: italic">regulations of the Department</span>" regarding lighting are contained in 67 PA Code Section 175.66. They read as follows:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">§ 175.66. Lighting and electrical systems.

(a) Condition of lamps and switches. Every required lamp or switch shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.80 (relating to inspection procedure).

(B) Lighting standards. A lamp shall comply with vehicle lighting equipment requirements of this title. See Tables II—IV; Chapter 153 and 75 Pa.C.S. § 4301.

© Headlamp system. A vehicle specified under this subchapter which is driven on highway shall have a two- or four-headlamp system. See 75 Pa.C.S. § 4303(a) (relating to general lighting requirements).

(1) Both lamps in the two-headlamp system shall be of Type II construction consisting of high beam and low beam. One lamp shall be located on each side of front of motor vehicle.

(2) In the four-headlamp system, two lamps shall be of Type II construction and two lamps shall be of Type I construction. Type I lamps consist of a high beam only. One of each type shall be located on each side of the front of the motor vehicle.

(3) The headlamp low beam minimum candlepower shall not be less than 7,500.

(4) The headlamp high beam minimum candlepower shall not be less than 10,000.

(5) A headlamp shall be aimed to comply with inspection procedure of this subchapter.

(6) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with manual dimmer switch conveniently located for use by the driver while in normal operating position. An automatic dimming device may be used in addition to the manual switch.

(7) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted whenever the high beam of light from the headlamp is in use and shall not otherwise be lighted. An indicator shall be located so that when lighted it is readily visible without glare to operator of vehicle.

(d) Total candlepower. The total candlepower for headlamps and auxiliary lamps shall not exceed 150,000.

(e) Other required lamps. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have at least one red stop lamp on each side of rear of vehicle, which shall be illuminated immediately upon application of the service brake.

(f) Illumination except headlamps, fog lamps and auxiliary driving lamps. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with parking lamps, stop lamps, tail lamps, turn signal lamps and hazard warning lamps designed for that specific function, which under normal atmospheric conditions shall be capable of being seen and distinguished during nighttime operation at a distance of 500 feet. See 75 Pa.C.S. § 4303(B)—(d).

(1) Stop lamps, turn signals and hazard warning lamps shall be visible at distance of 100 feet during normal sunlight.

(2) Rear lamps shall be lighted whenever headlamps, fog lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are in operation.

(3) A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with hazard warning lamps unless the lamps were not included as original equipment.

(4) The turn signals shall have a frequency of flash between 60—120 flashes per minute.

(g) Condition and position of lamps. Lamps shall be properly fastened; direct light properly; be of a color not contrary to Tables II—IV; and not be so obstructed by a screen, bar, auxiliary equipment or a device as to obscure, change the color of or obstruct beam.

(h) Ornamental lamps. A lamp not enumerated in this section and not located as described in Tables III, IV and V of this chapter, is prohibited unless it is available as original equipment. An illuminated sign is prohibited except on taxicabs, ambulances and trucks. Flashing or revolving lights are not ornamental lamps. Provisions relating to flashing or revolving lights are in Chapters 15 and 173 (relating to authorized vehicles and special operating privileges; and flashing or revolving lights on emergency and authorized vehicles).

(i) [Reserved].

(j) Back-up lamps. Back-up lamps are not permitted to be lighted when the vehicle is in forward motion. Back-up lamps shall turn off automatically when the vehicle goes forward. If the lamps do not turn off automatically, a dash indicator that lights or creates audible warning is required.

(k) Registration plate lamp. If the vehicle was originally so equipped, the registration plate lamp shall emit white light and make the registration plate visible from distance of 50 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(l) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps may be installed on a passenger vehicle or light truck if the lamps comply with the following:

(1) Auxiliary driving lamps shall not be substituted for headlamps. Auxiliary driving lamps may only be used with high headlamp beams.

(2) Fog lamps may not be substituted for headlamps.

(3) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be mounted on the front, spaced at least 20 inches apart from center to center and at height not more than 42 inches above level surface upon which the vehicle stands nor lower than the lowest chassis part. Rear fog lamps, if originally installed or offered as optional equipment, are acceptable.

(4) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be aimed when the vehicle and lamp assembly are in the straight ahead position with the beam not above horizontal centerline of lamp at 25 feet.

(5) A vehicle specified under this subchapter may have only one pair of approved auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.

(6) Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall not be placed in front of a required lamp. </div></div>

Note that while the General Lighing Requirements mentions side lights, they are not mentioned in the referenced section on Lightiong and Electrical Requirements. While it is a general pricnicple that a state cannot require the installation of lights (like side lights pre-1968) that were not Federally mandated, I don't see that spelled out in the regs.

I've been told that the headlamp standard is met by any sealed beam system, even 6V systems. When these regs were adopted (mostly in 1977 with updates), sealed beams were all there was and 6V systems could be a little as 15 years old on some trucks.

Keep a copy of both sets of regs in the car and you shouldn't have any problems. I drove my 1960 Buick at night more than in daylight when I lived in PA with no problems whatsoever. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Is it completely illegal to drive a brass car with carbide and kerosene lamps at night? I live in Wisconsin, and have a 1912 Model T. I have not attempted to fire up the lamps, and probably won't drive at night, but it would be nice to know if I risk a fine if I get the urge to cruise on a full moon eve.

In most states, you just have to have lighting equipment that was required when the car was new.

A search of your state's motor vehicle law website indicates:

"(5) No section of this chapter requires vehicles meeting equipment requirements established by Wisconsin or federal law for the year of original manufacture to update vehicle equipment to meet increased requirements under this chapter unless updating is required by ch. 347, Stats., or sub. (3)."

Which appears to be similar to the law in my state which basically requires whatever lighting equipment that was required when the car was originally manufactured.

I also found this section of Chapter 347 which sounds like you might have to drive at 20mph or less...

"(4) Any motor vehicle may be operated during hours of darkness when equipped with 2 lighted lamps upon the front thereof capable of revealing persons and objects 75 feet ahead in lieu of lamps required by subs. (1) to (3) if such vehicle at no time is operated at a speed in excess of 20 miles per hour. No lighted lamp under this subsection shall have any type of decorative covering that restricts the amount of light emitted when the lighted lamp is

in use. This subsection does not apply to any type of decorative covering originally equipped on the vehicle at the time of manufacture and sale."

Hope this helps. I would call your local police department for clarification.

Hi- you talk about lighting and night driving, but the real question is what driving are you planning to do with your Jeep? Is it a collector car, or are you driving it for regular transportation? Read the first sentence of "No person may operate....." I've driven brass cars with gas lights at night, no problem, you just have to be careful of traffic. Have driven 20's and 30's cars at night, no problem, the right bulbs and correct coating on reflectors and there is light to see and be seen. The thing that both States and insurance companies are cracking down on is the driving itself, is it transportation or is it part of a "collector car" activity? I have seen numerous 70's cars that have antique tags, but are obviously being driven for transportation; poor condition, McDonald's wrappers on the floor, are good tip offs. That said, getting bugs on the windshield, night or day, is a fun thing with a collector car, if that is how it is being used. David Coco Winchester Va.

I think the confusion in Pennsylvania stems from ambigous language on the old PennDot form MV-11 which implied that vehicles registered as antiques could only be operated between sunrise and sunset. This was the third distinction between a classic and an antiqe. The other two distinctions, both of which still remain, are that a classic vehicle is 15 years or older and must go through an annual saftey inspection (no emissions inspection however). A vehicle registered as an antique must be 25 years or older and is not subject to an annual safety inspection or emmissions inspection.

Current Pennsylvania law permits, the operation of vehicles registered as Antiques during the dark hours provided that the vehicle is equipped with the lighting required pursuant to 67 Pa. C.S. Section 175.66. But, 67 Pa. C.S. Section 175.66(m) states that an antique vehicle, if operated exclusively between the hours of sunrise to sunset and not during periods of reduced visibility or insufficient illumination, is exempt from requirements of this section except requirements pertaining to stop lamps.