new tubes oh boy

no more

I just replaced the 70 year old locktals in my philco made roto selector lincoln zephyr radio..

I replaced the capacitors (condensers if u like) awhile ago, and installed a solid state vibrator from a fla radio shop..tubes had tested ok..but big difference.

I think it's pretty cool to listen to the ball game in the car..riding around....

Our cars use 7 volt lock style short glass tubes...the zeniths and philcos ..7b6, 7a7,7a7,7y4,7b8,7c5,7c5..mostly...try "tubes and more.com" antique electronics out of tempe az..these nos tubes are on sale a couple bucks each..still common but havent been made for years...

anybody here fool with radios??

does your lincoln radio work?? I wish the 40 had the foot button..soooooo cool to switch stations with your foot !!!

Hi many years ago I had FM added to the radio in my '48 Continental. Everything is internal. You just turn on the radio and wait for the static,then turn it off and on again within 2 seconds and you have FM. A little green LED in the dial face lets you know that FM is on. My problem is the speaker. The sound is at times terrible. Can these be reconed or will a modern speaker work? Thanks George.

Guest simplyconnected

The little speakers used in cars aren't worth re-coning, because you can pick up a new one for about $10. Get a four-ohm in a size to match your original. Everyone has them in the automotive dept (K-mart, Wal-mart, eBay). Sometimes they are packaged in two's (for stereo).

no no no..that is so wrong.

yes they can be reconed, no one makes one 8" or so, shallow bowl to fit..this was a high quality unit with good sound, deep bass and clear highs..(for a single speaker set)

google speaker reconing..4" would be very dissapointing...

i used a place in ohio..there is a good place in mi, jackson speaker co or something...

i gotta find an fm converter..nothing hardly on am worth listening too, 'cept sports..and the indians and tigers both are pathetic..mudhens following right behind.

who did your fm thing??

Guest simplyconnected

"Reconing is not cheap, starting at probably $40-50 for a smaller speaker and running to well over $100 for a large one. ...place a call to (or email) two or three speaker reconing services and ask about your particular model. If it will take weeks to get parts (including shipping costs), or if the new cone or voice coil will have to be custom-fabricated (a very expensive proposition), that’s a good indication that your speaker is probably not worth reconing."

http://colomar.com/Shavano/recone.html

I guess, if you want to spend enough money, you can have anything re-done. Recone kits are sold for specific speakers. It is NOT something you want to do at home, and expect success every time. Yes, some guys have done it, but there is a learning curve that usually takes a couple jobs to obtain proficiency.

My advice is, if you have a very unique speaker that cannot be replaced, send it to a professional, then let him guarantee his work.

By the way, Jeff, how much did you pay to have your speaker reconed? What was the total cost?

My recone last year was about 50 bucks..no big deal, it's not an exotic poly dual cone

http://www.thespeakershop.com/home/speakerrepair.html

simple 8" paper cone.....not rocket science, field coil was good..compared to what I read here folks spend big money to jim roll for tops and interior..spagnolo for paint..boos/ herril for anything..moglia 75 bucks for a little knob..or $25 x 24 for hyd lifters...chrome plating....seems a bargain..

"for sale lincoln 75000 invested will sell for 45000"

sorry to offend you. I read this forum, and it seems as though not too many of you are scraping to get by. ....speaker is pretty cheap..

i did try a cobble job radio shack speaker (sorry, Im not a walmart type)..it was a cobble job, if you have the time to do the job..do it right the first time..and be done. I too thought it could work..I am learning as I go, and just offering help to others

Guest simplyconnected

What can I say? I certainly can't fault anyone who's offering to help others for free. There's absolutely no offense taken, either.

Not knowing what automotive speaker this is and generally speaking, there are literally hundreds of 'production' speakers for sale from a host of stores that sell for under $10/ea. Most recone places won't touch a small car speaker for that reason.

Some old speakers need their magnets re-energized, their cones replaced, and/or their frames reworked, etc. In light of having so many inexpensive speakers on the market, I would start there. As a last resort, and out of despiration, I might have someone hand-make my frame into a new speaker.

Being a restorer, I always look to purchase production parts if possible, because they always cost less. If money is no object, anything under a few hundred may seem a bargain, but not to me. This fool hasn't parted company with his money, yet.

Guest imported_V12Bill

I have bought speakers for two of my Lincolns at Radio Shack for about $10. to $12 . each. I may have a tin ear, but they sound alright to me

New subject but relaated. Where does one buy the FM conversion kit to add to AM radio to get FM stations? I know there are a lot of people who will add these to your AM radio, but I have a radio friend who would like to offer this service to his old car friends but has not seen anyone who has the kits to offer.

• 2 weeks later...

I restore old radios from the 30s to the 50s, and do auto radios also. I always have my speakers reconed to keep the radios as original as possible, and many of the older ones have 'field coils' that are part of the power supplies used prior to permanent magnets being used in speakers in the 40s and later. Also speakers have characteristics that make them unique, and no cheap Radio Shack speakers can really deliver the sound originally intended. There are old radio supply houses like Antique Radio Supply in Mesa, Az. that sell speakers and other parts to repair old car radios. (www.tubesandmore.com) There is also a company in Florida that makes retro fit radios for old cars that have new tuners for AM/FM and higher powered audio amplifiers built-in that have the exact look and fit of the original radio. (www.antiqueautomobileradio.com)