'22 Paterson Touring?

Guest Paterson Chris

Guest Paterson Chris

I'm curious as to exactly what year this car was made and if anyone else has ever seen one close in year to it? The rancher I bought it from drove it home from Milwaukee sometime after the end of WWII to the family ranch in western South Dakota. It was then used around the ranch for a few years before going to sleep in an outbuilding for the next 50 or so when I came along. The former Ward's battery under the seat was date stamped 1953 so his story had credence. Anyway, it's registered as a '22 but others tell me the flathead 6 under the hood -- a Continental 8R -- was only made from '23 to '24. Could it have been made in late '22 but was really a '23 model? Sort of like my Ford truck which is a '97 model but the specs on the door threshold state October, 1996? From the internet, I know Paterson folded in '23.

Some other info --

The maker's plate on the firewall says; W.A.Paterson Co., Flint, Michigan. Serial# 16269.

Other than a parts catalog for my motor and a '22 sales flyer, I've never been able to source any other literature for it.

Thanks --

Chris

post-52760-143137994842_thumb.jpg

Many states register autos as of the year in which they first sold with no reference to style year model. Thus a 1922 model built late in 1921 that had been used as a demonstrator and driven around quite a bit but first sold in 1923 would be titled as a 1923. A brand new 1924 model built in September of 1923 and quickly sold would also be titled as a 1923. The great depression really skewed titles as some cars and trucks sat years before being sold.

Your car probably is as you think, a 1923 model built later in 1922 and sold in 1922. Just like your Ford truck!

Guest brockway

Very nice and rare car you have. I know one unrestored Paterson car in Brussels AutoWorld museum in Belgium and recently there was another for sale in the Netherlands. I think quite a many Paterson cars were exported.

Guest Paterson Chris

Thanks for the input so far, guys. Much of your comments mirror my own thoughts. I was kind of hoping that someone would chime in with an, "I know a guy who has one" or "There were a few at ______ event recently" but no such luck now or at any time in the past. I know some people like the bragging rights that come from owning a rarer car but for me I'm thinking, "Wow, I'd better not ever screw this thing up or wreck it because what if it's the last one?" I'm still going to drive it every chance I can though because simply because it's so much fun! Yeah, that fun factor with old 20's cars -- its way up there smile.gif

• 13 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...