Help! Pine Tree Sap Removal!

OldsDoug

Anyone know of any way to remove sap from the paint on the car without damaging the paint? There are two pine trees near where I park at home and some blobs of sap have blown onto the Tahoe and the Impala... I'm trying to get the stupid homeowners' corporation to take these trees down... it wasn't a problem when they were small, and silly me, I expected that the homeowners' corp would trim them occasionally, but now they're about 60 feet tall...

Thanks-

Doug

I would try Goo Gone. It is available at Walmart and other similar retailers. I am pretty sure it would work on Pine Sap, but I have not used it on that particular problem, only similar problems. I made sure I did not have any pine trees anywhere on my property many years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donn2390</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> wait a week until the sap dries and wash it off. Been there, done that.... </div></div>

You must have different sap than I do. I've successfully used auto paint precleaner, which is essentially the same thing as GooGone. The precleaner comes in gallon cans and is less expensive by the gallon. Get it at any auto paint store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldsDoug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know of any way to remove sap from the paint on the car without damaging the paint? There are two pine trees near where I park at home and some blobs of sap have blown onto the Tahoe and the Impala... I'm trying to get the stupid homeowners' corporation to take these trees down... it wasn't a problem when they were small, and silly me, I expected that the homeowners' corp would trim them occasionally, but now they're about 60 feet tall...

Thanks-

Doug </div></div>

Find the cheapest, brightest, ugliest colored car carcovers you can find and cover the Tahoe and Impala.

Guarenteed, that will get the attention of the "Homeowner Corp" officers. grin.gif

Then, when they get all riled up, talk with them about removing the trees.

Point out to them the damage the trees could cause and the legal issues that will come up if the trees come down

on a house, cart or people.

Guest Tarheel

Mineral Spirits, also sold as "Paint Thinner", and Turpentine are derived from the Pine tree and either is a solvent that would soften and remove the sap, also tar.

• 3 years later...

I've had good luck with McGuires detail spray on dried stuff. Let it soak for a few seconds then lightly buff. Sounds like a variety of treatments would work though. I used to carry a small bottle of bug and tree sap remover that i got at an auto parts store. Need to replace it so will go looking tomorrow when I buy new brake pads for the van (another weekend project!)

Pine trees are no friend of antique cars!

Pecans aren't much better... This time of year I have to be careful when I park the wagon on the street not to get too close to the pecan tree 2 houses up. If pecan goo gets on it, I generally run down the street to a magic wand car wash and let hot water and soap take care of it.

When I lived at home, due to having many siblings, parking was limited and my vehicles would get maple sap on them. It doesn't come off easy either. Came up against something new last summer. The nursing home where I volunteer has several Bradford Pear trees and last year they had a banner crop of useless fruit. Came out of the nursing one afternoon and my van was covered up with gooey spots. The pears had fallen on the van and squashed when they hit. What a mess! It washed off but it was so nasty I don't wish to see a repeat.