Cats Eye Lighters

Curti

Not to derail your search for the identity of these lighters, but I find it amazing/amusing/dumb that here we have a device that was invented and introduced in the early 30s (may actually date back to the late 20s?), the design and dimensions of which have not changed in 78 years. Now we are in the midst of a technological revolution with cell phones, in-car fax machines, GPS and a host of yet-to-be-invented gizmos, all of which are powered by an ad-hoc psyco-billy tap-off plug invented in the 50s for little accessories like flashlights. A pretty half-a$$ed solution to a problem, and the consumer industry keeps just designing better cigar lighter tap of plugs (the best of which still pull out when you can least afford them to) rather than sitting down and saying "hey, this cigar lighter plug thing is kinda dumb and we could design a power tap no larger than, oh--3/8" and maybe it could have a bayonet mount so it will stay connected.

I say we force the head electrical gurus of GM, Ford, Chrysler, the Japs, der Germans and others, the people from LG, Motorola and Apple and a guy from Radio Shack and tell them they can't come out until the design criteria is met and they are all on board for using it and Radio Shaft will carry the connectors and cords.

Some cars (SUVs mainly) now have multiple cigar lighter recepticals due to the advances in portable devices.

Time to move on!

back to your regularly scheduled dialogue............

John: I would like to respectfully disagree. Unlike most other aspects of the automotive world, we have something here that is nearly universal for all but the oldest vehicles. I subscribe to two philosophies: Keep it Simple, Stupid; and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'll have to disagree also, based on the fact that every time I go in to get a new phone, the previous car charger will not work with it. The plug-in part that goes into the lighter always fit, but they keep changing the darn part on the phone so I'm forced to purchase a new charger.

And they say it's a free phone every two years. NOTHING is free, my friend.