Restoring a 1941 Chrysler Royal 4 door

Guest Nick_DeSimone

Guest Nick_DeSimone

As a reference, I live in Diamond Bar, CA which is in the most eastern portion of LA County.

In September 2008, my plans are to begin the restoration process. My thoughts are to convert to a V8 automatic with power steering, power brakes and A/C so my wife can drive it with the grandkids. My 1940 Plymouth Business Coupe limits the number of passengers to only 2. I enjoy driving my 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring and so does my wife, grandkids love it too.

Has anyone done this type of conversion? I would like to explore the simplest most straight forward approach within reasonable cost guidelines. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum.

It is your car and do whatever you want to do with it.

I don't want to sound harsh....but...

What you are talking about is not "Restoring". Since this is the Discussion Forum for the Antique Automobile Club of America, most of the folks on this board, are more interested in Restoration of Antique Cars.

There are other places that people are more interested and perhaps more knowledgable about modfying or street rodding an Antique Car.

A 1941 Chrysler is not hard to drive, when they were new many women drove them.

However there have been improvements in cars in the last 65 years. So your wife would have to be a good sport about enjoying a "vintage" driving experience.

If not, may I suggest you sell the car and buy something from the mid 50s or newer? Chrysler corporation in particular, made tremendous strides. By 1955 you could buy a car with V8 engine, Torqueflite automatic, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning, power windows etc.

I assume you are talking about short pleasure trips to the beach, out for ice cream etc.

If you want something totally modern and practical for all driving, may I suggest a PT Cruiser?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Nick_DeSimone

I just joined the forum and didn't realize the purpose was mostly for discussions about restoring antique cars.

I didn't look at my project as "street rodding" so with that thought in mind I offer my apologies.

Thanks for your reply.

In case I didn't mention it in my earlier message, I have restored a 1940 Plymouth Deluxe Business Coupe (stock).

Guest Nick_DeSimone

To each his own.

My thought was to have a antique car that my wife could use as a daily driver to "tool around" with the grandkids. Since I own a 1941 Chrysler Royal with a transmission that the previous owner started to dismantle and lost parts and a motor that doen't turn over, along with brakes that don't work, it seems like an option.

Did not mean to offend anyone.

Guest simplyconnected

Nick, don't let these old coots get to you. The truth is, many of them have already changed to more modern methods on their own classic cars. Would you get on the ten without seatbelts? Neither will they. Many have upgraded headlights, wiper motors, radial tires, etc. Another truth is, many members here are NOT restorers, but pay to have their cars restored. I personally believe, if you didn't put your car together, it isn't your car; therein lies the true passion of this hobby, because given enough money, anyone can buy anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum.

It is your car and do whatever you want to do with it.</div></div> That's the REAL bottom line.

I get tickled when I see a 1941 (anything) driving down E. Arrow Hwy, or the San Bernardino Freeway. It sure beats watching crotch rockets and rice burners (which is 99% of CA traffic).

Obviously, you aren't building your car to sell it, so make your car what you want it to be. You live in an excellent location for finding all the parts you will need, and building it.

When your grandkids grow up, they will talk about Grandma's car, and I guarantee none of them will question your car's components. When you're done and on the road, make sure the little old lady takes them out the 210 to Pasadena. Above all, enjoy your car. - Dave Dare

"I get tickled when I see a 1941 (anything) driving down E. Arrow Hwy"

Are you talking about Glendora, because, if so, I drive my 1941 Dodge there all the time!

"Would you get on the ten without seatbelts? "

Yup! I do! LOL!

Look, if the motor is shot (I just sold an early Chrysler 6 cyl that you could have bought from me! I still have a Fluid Drive Driveshaft if interested and some other mech parts) Just replace it. But, you could have it rebuilt, There is a place called Engine Dynamics in Baldwin Park that a couple of older gentleman run and they can rebuild that engine for you and they dont charge you an arm and a leg, and are honest and actually know what they are doing, talk to John or Neil, it might be worth having them see what they can do with it, before you get rid of it, because it might be a problem they can fix, and egge machining has alot of motor parts for that chrysler engine. My 1941 Dodge Engine is the orig. and it is quieter than a rice burner and it had sat for 20+ years. They are good and resilient engines.

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1941 Dodge Engine is the orig. and it is quieter than a rice burner and it had sat for 20+ years. They are good and resilient engines. </div></div> Yep! They don't build them like they used to.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Detroit and, well, let's just say we're well endowed with lots of great engine builders, too.

• 1 year later...
Guest Juan Martinez

Hello, I have a problem, I start to restore a Plymouth 1940 sedan 4 door. Have anyone a picture to show me the aceleration systems between the pedal in the floor and the carburation?, In my car looks like some part was missed because its not working good.

Thanks for help

Bye

Guest Juan Martinez

Hello, I have a problem, I start to restore a Plymouth 1940 sedan 4 door. Have anyone a picture to show me the aceleration systems between the pedal in the floor and the carburation?, In my car looks like some part was missed because its not working good.

Thanks for help

Bye

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,just an update on my 41 royal,its been siting for 20 years,got it running,had to clean the gas tank and install a new coil (not stock),it needs a carb kit (know where to get one?)working on the brakes,bleeders are frozen .

Thanks handyman57 

20160802_204240.jpg

20160816_193641.jpg

Carburetor kit is no problem.

You will need the letters and numbers STAMPED (not raised) on the vertical strengthening vane of the carburetor, located just behind the electrical solenoid  in your picture, when you call.

573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon.