1936 vin # ??

highvolt

There is no VIN in the modern sense on a 1936 Buick. The number on your title is likely either the engine number or a frame number. The engine number is stamped on the passenger side of the block near the front. On mine it is just in front of the push rod cover. The frame number is located on a plate riveted to the frame also on the passenger side just behind the front wheel. Depending on the condition of the car you may have to do some grease scraping to find the numbers.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Highvolt:

Post what you've got and I'll try to help you. If you post the numbers suggested and the paint and trim cods from the body plate, we can decode them.

Regards, Dave Corbin

• 1 month later...
Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Highvolt:

Please excuse my slowness in responding. Body number 471 would be on a Buick built at Flint in September 1936. Trim 300 is Tan Bedford Cord. I can't find my 1937 paint code chart at the moment.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Highvolt:

By the way, the car is a 1937 Buick, not a 1936. Some states, California and Ohio being examples, titled the car by when it was first registered, not by manufacturer's model year. Since your car is a very early 1937, I'm not surprised it may be titled as a 1936.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Hi highvolt,

The range of Motor Numbers for the 1937 Buick Series 40 is

43166225 to 43396936. Find it stamped on on a raised boss on right side of crankcase near pushrod cover near front of engine.

The range of Serial Numbers is 2999497 to 3219847. Find it on a plate attached to the frame under right front fender.

Since DMV's used one or the other for a registration ID, look for a number within these ranges.

Dave Corbin can provide much more info, but first you have to find the number.

TG

Guest Tishabet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveCorbin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dear Highvolt:

By the way, the car is a 1937 Buick, not a 1936. Some states, California and Ohio being examples, titled the car by when it was first registered, not by manufacturer's model year. Since your car is a very early 1937, I'm not surprised it may be titled as a 1936.

Regards, Dave Corbin </div></div>

Interesting... I have a 38 which is titled as a 37, and always wondered what the story was. Guess I have my answer!

• 9 years later...

Is there a Frame Number decoder available that explains what each digit in the frame number represents?  I have a '36 Business Coupe and would like to find out where it was assembled, which month is was assembled, etc.  I have been told that the Frame Number contains this information.

Thanks.

I think the frame number is simply a sequential number as the cars were being produced.

Here are some of my numbers:

1937 Model 48:  2-door "trunkback" sedan:

IMG_8511.thumb.JPG.4180b5394890500b66eea79d0ad374a5.JPG

Firewall data tag  Body # 6889

5a3c0a23d842a_DSC_0581(1).thumb.JPG.1fd228bd2011be0efe61d63ffd655380.JPG

Chassis number plate.  Frame #3105718

5a3c0a2c36816_Scan_20161108(2).thumb.jpg.cade4ee38ef1088a740a543bf3941e3c.jpg

I had to do a pencil tracing for motor vehicles.

IMG_7369.thumb.JPG.cd26d6189aa336041529721324192ad7.JPG

Engine # 4  3279307

DSC_0196.thumb.JPG.2a642e2cbb9ae07a7ad12ef622b20429.JPG

Date of Manufacture:  February 16, 1937

So, I guess my car is considered middle of production for 1937?

Being  the '37 above, titled as a '36, was built in September.

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)

Gary,

Historically the cars for the new model year were starting to be built in the end of July/early August of the year prior to the "model year".  That was done so the new model could be available for purchase on "new car announcement day" in mid September by farmers as they brought in the crops and money from the sale.  Also to get ahead of the approaching winter.  Many states "in the day" would title the car in the calendar year it was purchased unlike today.  Your car is probably one of those cars.  I have a truck that was an early built truck and titled in the year prior to it's actual model year.  I did get it changed to the correct year with the Dept. motor vehicles.  Showed them the documentation, etc.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1