Tire/rim tool

Oldsfan

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you very much Paul...maybe i will end the mystery of what i call this tool and exactly what it is used for..

It's a rim spreader. It's mostly used for expanding your profanity vocabulary while trying to mount tires onto split rims as were common in the 20s and early 30s. I have three hanging on the wall of my garage. Two are broken.

This tool is used for changing the tires on cars with artillery wood wheels. To use this tool you remove the rim with the tire from the artillery wheel and then you use the tool to pull the rim ends in until they over lap themselves. This will make the diameter of the rim smaller then the tire allowing you to pull out the tub and remove the tire. I used this tool to change the tires on my 1929 Studebaker. It was hard work to change the tires on those artillery wheel rims. However, this tool made the job much easier then trying to do the job without it.

I no longer have this rim tool, got rid of it when I replaced my 29 Studebaker with artillery wheels for a 29 Studebaker with wire wheels. It is easier to change the tires on a car with wire wheels. Possibly more dangerous, but easier.

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you both for great information ...you have answered all my questions and i can sleep like a baby tonight... been trying to find this out all day.... can this be used on all makes and models that have wooden spoke wheels..? thanks so much again.... liz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldslady liz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">can this be used on all makes and models that have wooden spoke wheels..?</div></div>

Yes, it can be used on any artillery wood wheel rim that does not exceed the maximum diameter reach of the rim tool.

Guest oldslady liz

not only did you supply the answers...but you sure know how to explain it all..thanks very very much.. and thanks Paul for posting for me....

Wonder if anyone has a link or some pictures of this tool in use. Be nice to see how you all go about removing the tires from the rims. Someday I will need to do it so a I can restore my rims.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hddennis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Liz, the one thing everyone forgot to mention is this tool only works on split rims. If the car has one piece rims as on a Model t Ford, the tool is of no use.

Howard Dennis </div></div>

My 1926 Model T that I had as a teenager had split rims. That's when I first learned how to really curse. I think that all split rims fall within the 19-21" range, so this tool should work with all of them.

Guest oldslady liz

Thank you all for ending the mystery about this device... now i know its name and what it is used for.... it always sat around starring at me.. but no clue what i needed it for..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58Mustang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Model "T"s have split rims </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">SOME</span> Model T's have split rims, the earlier ones did not

• 1 month later...
Guest Ed_Joyce

I just used this same tool 2 weeks ago to repalce an old inner tube with a new one in our Graham Bros. Our tool came with the truck when we bought the project. Have used it a number of times. A must have to change tires and tubes on these type of rims.

Originally Posted By: 58Mustang

Model "T"s have split rims

SOME Model T's have split rims, the earlier ones did not

34 Ford Deluxe Tudor

all original, paint, etc

70 Camaro Z28

all stock, M-22

Scottsdale, AZ

All Model "T"s that have rims, have split rims. The early cars have wood felloes and do not have rims

I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO SEND AND REPLY HERE. YES, YOU MAY HAVE HIT THE FENDER SKIRTS CAR AND YEAR- YOUR PHOTO OF 50-53 CAD SURE LOOKS LIKE THE ONES I HAVE. BE GLAD TO SEND THEM TO ANYONE FOR A FEW BUCKS AND THE SHIPPING CHARGES.

HAVE HAD THEM IN MY GARAGE FOR 30 YEARS.

lyn#levens.com