Caribbean Engines

alsancle

Does anyone know if the straight 8 in the 53/54 Caribbean is special to that model? Did other models come with the 4 barrel engine? I believe that between 53 and 54 they changed from 7 main bearings to 9 but otherwise the engines were identical.

thanks, A.J.

The 1953 Packard Caribbean (2631 2678) used the 5 main bearing 327CID 180hp engine. The 54 Caribbean (5431 5478) was equipped with the 9 main bearing 359CID 212 HP engine. The 359 was only used in 1954. Both engines came with a 4 barrel carb. There were no 7 main bearing engines.

According to my MoToR Repair Manual, 1954 edition, the Carter WCFB 4 barrel carb was used on 1953 and 54 Packard straight eights.

This would be the 1953 180 HP, 327 cu in, 8:1 compression engine used in Mayfair, Carribean, Convertible, Cavalier, Patrician, and Custom 8 models. Carburetor model 985S or 2084S

Clipper used the 288 cu in 150HP engine, Clipper Deluxe used a 327 160HP 2 barrel carb engine.

In 1954 they had a 212 HP 359 cu in 8.7:1 engine used in Patrician, Custom, Pacific, Caribbean, and Convertible 8 models.Carburetor 2103S or 2112S

Clipper Special used the 288 150HP, Clipper Deluxe, Clipper Super, 327 165HP.

Cavalier had a 327 with 185HP,possibly this engine had a 4 barrel?

Incidentally the variant spelling of "Caribbean" above, was copied directly from the manual.

Proofreader busted after 54 years Ha ha.

• 5 years later...
So the Caribbean engines were distinguishable by engine number?

Yes by year and model of the car. Go to this site:

packardinfo.com

this site has a lot of info.

there were two types of the 327 engine. One with solid lifters and one with hy

The senior Cavalier for '53 used the 5-main 327 as did all the senior commercial cars but I understand that the 9-main engine was optional. I'm not sure about '54 but I think the Cavalier also had the 5-main 327 while the commercial cars got the 359.

Also, the '54 359 engine, which was only 9-main, always had an aluminum head which differs in appearance from the cast iron heads in that it's smoother and has noticeably rounded edges and individual raised bosses under each head hold-down nut rather than the three front to back raised strips that all others had. Through the years, most have gotten switched out to the cast iron head from other models or years.

So the Caribbean engines were distinguishable by engine number?

Not really.

1953:

Engine numbers starting with "L4" were used in the Caribbean, Cavalier, and Mayfair. This was a 5 main bearing engine (327ci).

1954:

Engine numbers starting with "M6" were used in all the Senior models including the Caribbean. This was a 9 main bearing engine (359ci).