Anyone in Portland area?

Matt Harwood

I've been searching for a budget hobby car and ran across this while I was dreaming of Packards. I received a reply from the seller this morning. How does this smell to you? I received this E-mail and it smells more than a little funny to me (return shipping at his expense?!?). Anyone in Portland who can go take a look for me just to be sure? I may tell him I'm flying out to see it in person and see what happens. That usually scares away the scammers.

<span style="font-style: italic">The 1930 PACKARD Model 733 is still for sale. Buy it now price is $9,500. I have attached pics.

About the item: it is in immaculate condition and hasn't been involved in any collision. 23947 miles. All original. Clear title. Comes with the owners manual & all records, receipts.

Is located in Portland and I will ship it from here.

The delivery will take within 3-4 working days (with insurance and 30 days return policy).

As soon as the item arrives, you will test and if it does not matches 100% of your expectations, you will return it in max. 30 days since the arrival date. In this case I will pay the return shipping and insurance fees.

ALSO ABOUT PAYMENT AND SHIPPING I WILL USE ONLY EBAY SO WE CAN BOTH BE PROTECTED!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO E-MAIL ME THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

YOUR EBAY USER ID:

FULL NAME:

FULL ADDRESS:

EBAY WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MORE INFO REGARDING SHIPPING AND PAYMENT!

If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible. I have reserved the item for you until I will have your final answer.

Sincerely,</span>

post-31138-143137992322_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143137992323_thumb.jpg

Yup. Reeks to high heaven! I guarantee you that if you try to schedule a visit, there will be some excuse that he wont' be there. "I'm out of the country," "It's at my mother's house, and she doesn't like visitors," I even had one person tell me that they were deaf and would rather discuss via e-mail only as they were uncomfortable in trying to communicate in person.

This one stinks, Matt, although I believe that particular car really is for sale.

Although at quite a bit more than this asking price.

I sent him this E-mail:

<span style="font-style: italic">Thank you for your message and for holding the car for me. I am very, very interested. I would like to fly out to Portland in the next few days to have a look at the car in person and/or have a friend who lives locally take a look for me. If I'm happy with what I see, I'll pay in cash and arrange my own shipping from there. That will make things a lot easier for us both--you get paid immediately and don't have to manage the shipping, and I'm certain that I'm getting the car of my dreams.

Please let me know if it would be possible for you to have someone meet me at the airport and take me to see and drive the car, or to show it to my friend. I'll let you know my flight information as soon as I have it. Can you give me a phone number we can use to contact you if/when my friend comes to have a look?

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you.</span>

We'll see what happens. I'm not getting my hopes up...

Have fun. I did that a couple of months ago. We had at least a half-dozen e-mails back and forth, each one with an excuse why I couldn't go look at it. Of course, I was toying with her, and making fodder for an editorial. Finally, Windows Live Hotmail put an end to the communication for policy reasons: "Reasons for rejection may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain reputation problems."

I'm in the Portlsnd area though I doubt the car exist. If I went to look at it for you, I doubt you would get it if it was truely that price, because I would buy it after seeing it laugh.gif

I also wonder why all of these scams are just under $19K. Does it make it a more serious of a crime if the scam is over $10K?

Guest 1956Packard

I am sure this is a scam.

Do a search for completed auctions in e-bay. That car was auctioned off a month or so ago. I think the bids reached high 20k or low 30k and did not meet reserve.

I'll see if I can find the auction.

Geoff

Matt, Geoff, I looked for the completed auction of the car and couldn't find it. I just looked in my favorites, and low and behold, I'd saved it from the first auction. It brought 24,050 and was a no sale. It was listed in California, not Oregon.... Odd it was on yesterday, but one today... the contact information is:

Jeff Paley at (805) 687-6173 or email at jbpaley@cox.net.

You can always contact the guy and see what's going on. good luck, B

Guest superods

Matt ....call me... I know of a 1932 Packard 902 Coupe for sale in California for 20k ...restored in the 80's. Just traded my 34 no fendered ford to Steve Olsen for his 902 32 rumble seat coupe. He was here the last two days finalizinb the deal. He lives out in Grass Valley Calif. He told me one of the members of his club is selling a 902 and wants the above mentioned number. I can give you his email address and phone number if you are interested. You would have to act fast no doubt at that number. If I did not already own two of the identical car I would buy it sight unseen. Steve Olsen is the man I am speaking of and he says it is a good driver that needs resto or refitted. Ha! refitted ?? He left this morning at 645 from Hopkins and will arrive home 4 his time or 7 ours tonite. Let me know. So for all you doubters out there ....20 K for a decent driver that you can restore is not our of the question ...you just need to network more. Just remember you can do twice as much for half the price.

Mike, thanks for the offer and the heads-up. Right now, that's a little out of my price range. I was looking for a sub-10K "beater" toy, and knew this was just too good to be true. But just in case, I wanted to try. Sometimes you get lucky, right? The search goes on...

Anyway, here is the pathetic non-conclusion to this story. I've had no reply, of course. And yes, the 8 or 16 volt electrical system question was intentional just to see what he'd say. I thought about asking him to provide "proof of life" by taking a picture of the car with today's newspaper on the runningboard. I was 100% positive it was bogus the instant he started referring to the car as "item."

<span style="color: #000099">Garard Fox <garardfox@gmail.com> wrote:

The 1930 PACKARD Model 733 is still for sale. Buy it now price is $9,500. I have attached pics.

About the item: it is in immaculate condition and hasn't been involved in any collision. 23947 miles. All original. Clear title. Comes with the owners manual & all records, receipts.

The delivery will take within 3-4 working days (with insurance and 30 days return policy).

As soon as the item arrives, you will test and if it does not matches 100% of your expectations, you will return it in max. 30 days since the arrival date. In this case I will pay the return shipping and insurance fees.

ALSO ABOUT PAYMENT AND SHIPPING I WILL USE ONLY EBAY SO WE CAN BOTH BE PROTECTED!

YOUR EBAY USER ID:

FULL NAME:

FULL ADDRESS:

If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible. I have reserved the item for you until I will have your final answer.

Sincerely,

Garard</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Matt Harwood wrote:

Thank you for your message and for holding the car for me. I am very, very interested. I would like to fly out to Portland in the next few days to have a look at the car in person and/or have a friend who lives locally take a look for me. If I'm happy with what I see, I'll pay in cash and arrange my own shipping from there. That will make things a lot easier for us both--you get paid immediately and don't have to manage the shipping, and I'm certain that I'm getting the car of my dreams.

Please let me know if it would be possible for you to have someone meet me at the airport and take me to see and drive the car, or to show it to my friend. I'll let you know my flight information as soon as I have it. Can you give me a phone number we can use to contact you if/when my friend comes to have a look?

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing from you.</span>

<span style="color: #000099">Garard Fox <garardfox@gmail.com> wrote:

That would be great, but I already have the item in the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection plan I paid the charges and i have a contract with them, they work only with dasautoshippers. This is why a local pick-up is not available.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Matt Harwood <toolman8@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Is it still possible to come out and see the vehicle or send my friend over to see it? I would like a first-hand inspection before the transaction. If it's right, I'll let eBay handle the shipping according to your contract, that's not a problem. But I would like to make the financial transaction in person.

Thanks.</span>

<span style="color: #3333FF">Garard Fox <garardfox@gmail.com> wrote:

You will get to see and inspect the car before making the final decision. Here's how the process works:

- You provide me your full name and address so i can open the transaction with eBay,

- They'll send you the payment information,

<span style="font-weight: bold">- You have to send the money,</span></span> (my emphasis)<span style="color: #3333FF">

- After they confirm that the payment has been received and secured, i will ship the item to you,

- You receive and inspect the item, there is a 30 days return policy, if from some reason you are not satisfied with the item you can return it.

If this is all agreeable, please provide me your full name and address so i can move forward with the transaction.</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">Matt Harwood wrote:

So you're saying you would rather I didn't come to you and hand you a pile of cash and ship it myself, leaving eBay out of the entire transaction and costing you $0? Are you sure? What if someone local bought it, how would you work it?

I also have a few more questions. How long have you owned the car? When was the last time it was driven? What size tires does it use so I can get a feel for how much I'll have to spend to buy new ones when it arrives? Is it an 8 or 16 volt electrical system?

However, money is not going to change hands until I can see and touch the car in person, regardless of how the transaction is handled and the car is shipped. I'll fly out and have a look at the car and take it for a test drive, then we can use your Ebay process if you want. But without an inspection, this transaction can't go forward, I'm afraid.

Can you send me a link where the eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Plan is detailed so I can get a better feel for what is involved there? I've never used it before.

Also, can you explain this for me:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-1...emZ190232959949

Your help is greatly appreciated. Regards.

-Matt Harwood</span>

Meh.

Guest superods

Matt...As the saying goes...If it is too good to be true most of the time it i not. This back and forth interaction you have supplied here is something that should be gotten around more on this board and anywhere else it could do some good. It is a stark reminder to one and all just how scummy one can be and how low they go to hoodwink honest and forthrite people. Buyer beware always !!! I will keep my eye out for you Matt. Did think that 20k was a reasonable figure for a car of that distinction ( coupe ) I have gotten my 33 Victoria Convertible from Bert Barber...is in far better condition as a driver than the 34 coupe you came to look at. Also bought a 34 5 passenger that runs very well and a 32 convertible coupe that I also "stold" at 30k from a neophyte in New Hampshire who had no clue what he had....and I might add neither did I till i handed him the certified chech and loaded it. All new wood ...every piece including the top...complete engine overhaul (done long ago ) And all the body work completed on the car.....a very very sweet piece. But I do need a driver's side rear fender if you know of anyone or any available let me know. Hope your other business dealings are going your way. Stay well...mike

I have a 1948 Tucker for sale,all original!

YOUR EBAY USER ID:

FULL NAME:

FULL ADDRESS:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Since when can you buy any good looking classic in good condition for $9500? especially a Packard! Did you see that guy hiding behind the tree? Maybe he was the other shooter on the grassy knoll in '63? LOL!

Guest 1956Packard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: superods</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Matt ....call me... I know of a 1932 Packard 902 Coupe for sale in California for 20k ...restored in the 80's. </div></div>

I don't know, that seems like a steal to me. If the economy wasn't swirling in the toilet....

Geoff

Guest superods

Well 56 If I did not already own two identical to it and a dozen in total I would have jumped at it...not recommended someone else to. And yes it is a steal. The best time to buy is when things are swirling. Patience is a virtue. What goes around comes around. Prices in the future will firm back up and climb. They always do.