Packard plant facade up for auction

mrpushbutton

Guest imported_Speedster

Hey, Just what we need to go over the garage door! grin.gif

Nothin' last forever, but i hope someone can find it a good home. wink.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

Anyone know who owns it now? (who is selling it?)

Is it city property now or is it privately owned?

Do the Packard museums have the financial backing to purchase something like that?

I hope so, too.

Whoever buys it will probably have to pay for it being removed from building, moved to new location and reassembled, which will cost a fortune just for that. Of course, the whole process would need to be insured also.

Rick,

The Packard Plant is a privately held site presently. The city of Detroit has tried unsuccessfully to condemn it and began tearing it down, but was forced to stop. It is not policed, and it is deplorable, beyond repair condition as an industrial site. Therefore, IF this story is true an dI believe it is, they are taking a good step in preserving this shrine.

What West brought up is a valid idea with sound merit. I am just starting to read this post on a specific Detroit area forum and popped over here to add it, when I see mrpushbutton beat me to it.

I wish the Packard clubs and museums would get together on raise a collection - so that it could go to an agreed well attended and neutral site.

I would put in at least $100 NOW to an aorganized effort, but believe the clubs and museums should step up with a plan. And post it here for those of us wanting to put in, but not necessarily Packard club members, just automotive historians.

Some museum's have "friends" with deep pockets and can make somethng like this happen with the simple raise of the hand.

I should have said it belongs in one of the THREE Packard museums, as I completely forgot about the Packard Proving Ground. In fact, that is probably the best place for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some museums have "friends" with deep pockets and can make somethng like this happen with the simple raise of the hand.

</div></div>

Round up the usual suspects!

• 1 year later...

Only the "1907" doorway will end up in Dayton. The much-more-famous executive doorway (on the east side of E. Grand Blvd., near the bridge over Concord) was purchased by the Packard Motor Car Foundation, and will be displayed at the Packard Proving Grounds in Shelby Township.

For a complete history of the Packard Factory from 1903 through 2009, please read the Winter 2009 issue of The Packard Cormorant magazine (issue #137), published by The Packard Club Packard Automobile Classics, Inc. - The Packard Club