1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

My goal is to get the Roadmaster to South Bend. I think it is a realistic goal. It's the vacation time I need to make sure I can get!

Thanks for the kind words on the Limited everyone. I never saw myself selling it, but you can't see into the future. I now know that it's a much better venture to find a car that is in solid shape to start with next time. My late friend Hank always told me the way to buy a car is to make sure that 2 of the 3 major components of the car are in good condition (Body, interior, engine). Otherwise, you guarantee you'll be upside down on it...unless, of course, you stole it.

As you have found over the course of time, priorities do change and its wise to not become attached to material items. Thats one of my biggest fears on my current restoration since its dragging out longer than expected. I keep praying nothing happens to chnage my course until its done. Based on everything you mentioned its sounds like you made a sound decision that you won't regret especially with the Roadmaster in the garage. Fortunately you have the wisdom to objectively list out the facts and make a decision based on them. Some things are just meant to be. That Roadmaster is one beautiful car. Good Luck with it and all the best to you and your new fiance.

Adam:

Your progress with your Limited gave me a great deal of inspiration. You may recall that I had a Limited convertible for the last 10 years that was quite rough. I had great dreams for that car but never got around to starting on it. When I read your story I truly believed a hobbyist could gain the skills necessary to make my dream Limited a reality. I, too, then found that the financial price tag was so high that it would have prevented my completion of several other near and dear projects of mine. Those other projects, like your Roadmaster, could be completed, used and enjoyed today. As they say, I realized I was not getting any younger and had to make the decision to sell the Limited. The party that bought my Limited has the means and the ability to bring the dream to a reality. In the end we are but caretakers of these vehicles. I am confident I made the right decision about my Limited. I think you did as well. One sad reality of both sales though is that these beautiful American icons are both leaving the USA and will likely never return. Good luck with the Roadmaster!

Guest Rob McDonald

Good for you, on making a solid, well-thought decision. Now, if I could just get some overseas saviour to take my basket case off my hands...