1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

Guest cardinal905

Looking at all that rust makes me wanna dig into my 42 sedan, I cant wait but need to get back on my Maxwell this winter or I may never do it---LOVE BUICKS TOO MUCH NOW ! Good luck.

I had the whole day to work on the car...for once.

I started by welding in a patch in the passenger side floor. It turned out ok, but I quickly found out I'll have to cut out a lot more to get to good metal. I kept burning through the existing stuff. I gave up and started over after a couple hours of fighting it.

I took the doors off after I figured out my basement storage situation. Everything on this car is just so bulky...I need a lot of room to store all the parts.

doors_off001.jpg

doors_off002.jpg

doors_off003.jpg

Dave, do you know if this is the same outfit that is selling the floor pans on ebay?

I took my door panels and all the other interior stuff (sans seats) to a friend this afternoon to see what he could do for me. It sounds like he'll be able to get everything done the way it needs to be...at a very reasonable price, too. He's also a member of this forum smile.gif

This rust issue is starting to get to me here. When do you draw the line and just part something like this out?

I could easily make my money back on it if I parted it...but I'm trying to reason to myself that this is a keeper. Factory AC is a pretty rare option...and it's a Limited.

Check out what I found under the rocker trim today...(drivers side here, the passenger side is almost as bad)

rust_holes001.jpg

rust_holes002.jpg

Here is the trunk opening rail...it's like this all the way across the edge. The underside of the lid is completely gone, too.

rust_holes003.jpg

rust_holes004.jpg

Guest imported_Thriller

I don't know what the answer to the question is Adam...I haven't yet purchased a car that was too far gone in my mind. Then again, repairing rust takes a good body guy, time and money...with sufficient quantities of either or both, it can be repaired.

There are folks who told me my Wildcat was too far gone in the rust department...the body work cost me a lot, but so far so good.

Besides, what would you entertain us with if you parted out this car? grin.gif

Guest imported_65gs76limited

Cut your losses and get out now!Part it and recoupe what you have in it.The car is rare yes but it's a money pit.

The answer to your question lies in E bay. Check out what the bids are on the few 58's. Then estimate what it takes to bring your car to the point you can sleep at night if you sold it for that much. Depending on your initial investment the answer may be clear.

BTW, I see Desert Valley Auto Parts has a few 58's around. Unsure how much you could find from them but it looks like some cars were dropped off almost complete.

I'm gonna have to sleep on this...for a few weeks.

I know I can get the metal work done if I'm patient. That's all it's going to take for me, really.

At this point, I just see a big rusted hulk, and not much direction. It does help that I was able to get Crin to do my interior. That should turn out nice. Definitely a step in the right direction. The fact that it still runs and drives makes me feel better, too:D

Adam,

What else do you have to do this winter ?

Seriously though, if the frame and guts of the car are good I would continue down the road you are on. Yes, you can part it out or sell it but then you are just going to have to find a new "something" to work on. And that "something" may be worse. At least with this you know what you have already.

Inspiration may be lacking and I understand that when you get a big job ahead of you. Find a Picture of a 58 all done and hang it in your garage. Keep looking at it and thinking about that. Check out Willies (Old Tank's) restoration of his 55 Century convertible. Drive your other cars and imagine yourself in that 58. Buy parts for it on Ebay. Restore something small and make it pretty so you get a sense of accomplisment. Do something on another car, if your really get sick of this one.

These are some of the tricks I have used over the years to help me keep inspired in the long run.

Hope this helps....

If you really love the car and are planning on keeping it and can afford to restore it, I say "DO IT"! If you are fixing up to resell, I say "STOP NOW"! You will probably never recoup the money if reselling, but if you love the car enough to labor that much on it and want to keep it, it will always be worth it to you.

Super, Roadmaster and Limited had the back up lights in the bumpers, the Special and Century had them at the bottom of the tail lights.

The Super, Roadmaster and Limited had the same reverse piller at the back for the two door coupes and the four door hardtops.

Stevo

Couple little things today..

I (my upholsterer) got fabric samples back from SMS for the interior....everything is exactly correct. Totally floored me to see those swatches of factory fabrics. So, we're off to the races there. Kinda workin' backwards with getting the interior done first smirk.gif but I'm in really good hands with that part.

I tackled another section of floor under the rear seat. This is probably one of the most difficult spots on the floor (minus the front where the body mounts are)

It was tough to get that curve right. (you can see where it doesn't exactly match toward the center of the floor)

floor_rust013.jpg

Guest my3buicks

One step at a time Adam, the journey has begun. In your hands someday the car will once again be the envy of anyone that looks at her, just like when she was new. She was 2nd to none when she was new.

One step at a time, for sure. This is definitely not something I'll be shooting for CO next Summer.

I can say that my welds are looking better. I made a small patch tonight close by the last one, and I worked a little more with wire speed, and found a sweet spot. I didn't have to reweld any holes I missed the first time on this one. grin.gif

I just have to find a chrome guy to buddy up to........hmmmm

I wondered if you could weld. Welders have my full respect and admiration, because any car can be restored if you can weld. Otherwise, you are at someone elses mercy and that's a bad thing.

Now that that question is answered, then you should continue. As for value, I think you are putting in what we call sweat equity (homes/cars) so you should come out OK. You and most of us restore for the interest in the process, as a hobby - it's not a business so I would say keep going. Especially since you have a nice car to drive.

It's tough when your only ride is under the knife (so to speak) for years and years.

Guest my3buicks

Adam, email me direct and I will give you the contact info for a fellow I know that specializes in 58's, especially the Limited's. Dig deep in your pockets for the chrome bill, it will more than likely be more than the total value of the car when finished.

My father had a 1958 Roadmaster 75 2 door coupe. The middle part of the back bumper was stainless. I have seen many that were redone as chrome....wrong. The gas door cover was chrome. It never did look right but that is the way it was.

I may be wrong but I was old enough to remember since I learned to drive with that car and I was the one waxing it every week.

Check it out before you chrome it.

Stevo

I've pretty much had it in my head that this will be a 5+ year project. I just have absolutely no patience grin.gif

We're shipping the upper door panels to SMS this week to have them made. Crin is doing the rest of the interior...even tackling the dash pad! I may end up sending that to SMS, too, after we put our hands on it.

Dug in deep today...lots of cursing and breaking bolts. If I break more than 5 bolts in a day, I must be making progress smirk.gif

Front clip came off today...

front_clip_off001.jpg

Ugh...both sides are like this. I think I can repair this pretty easily, though.

front_clip_off002.jpg

I have always wondered why these cars didn't have much for a wheel house. The biggest reason for the rust in the photo above is for that reason alone! Look at the crapola built up on the headlight housing!

front_clip_off003.jpg

Ta daaaa! Only took me 4 hours. crazy.gif

front_clip_off004.jpg

Parts is parts..

front_clip_off005.jpg

These are the broken fasteners I could actually find in the piles of dirt and rust under the car. This is all from today. I know I broke more than this.

front_clip_off006.jpg

After some more thought, I have tentatively decided to give this car a frame-off job. All I have to do is store the Centurion at my warehouse at work, and I'll have the garage open. If I need extra room after the body comes off, it will go in the backyard behind the garage.

Let the games begin!

BTW, I ordered outer rockers from the "Rocker King" in WI. I will be getting the necessary floor pans from Classic Fabrication. Both sources are significantly cheaper than the competition.

I've been just disassembling things one piece at a time, bagging and photographing everything...

I decided to grab the cutoff wheel and welder this afternoon..

This was one of the areas I was concerned about being able to fix myself:

rust_holes002.jpg

With some patience and a couple hours, it's done!

rust_fixed001.jpg

I took care of another hole that was about 2" wide on the top of the rocker where the sill plate goes:

rust_fixed002.jpg