1958 Limited Four Door Riviera

Smartin

I had to grab this one...I'll scratch it off my "dream car" list cool.gif

Factory AC, Air Poise suspension (was converted to regular shocks), 4 note horns, power windows, brakes, steering, and some other stuff I'm sure I don't understand yet.

What a project car!! laugh.gif

I could hardly sleep last night...

new001.jpg

new002.jpg

new008.jpg

new011.jpg

new012.jpg

Those are NOS drums there...

new013.jpg

new019.jpg

It is actually supposed to be a Silver Mist car...it has had one repaint in a slightly darker color. The underside of the trunk lid has the original paint on it:

new021.jpg

new022.jpg

new023.jpg

Adam, congratulations on this find!

This model is most certainly one of the great 1950's era "dream machines", and I'm thrilled that you picked this one up.

I look forward to your updates during the months and years ahead, as you enjoy this spectacular Buick!

Very interesting, Adam. Trexler's trunk lid looks almost like it was an extended Roadmaster or Super trunklid. I wonder if the date of manufacture or the assembly plant dictated the difference. It would be interesting to contact other owners of the 4-door Rivieras to see what you can learn.

Wow! Looks like you'll be scratching spare money off your dream list too. Don't get me wrong, that car looks like it would be awesome refinished. And we've seen the quality of your work and know you can do it. But it does look like an intensive project. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing the pics as you go along.

By the way, I noticed it was your birthday recently ( courtesy of the v8 board) and would like to say Happy B day! This is a fine present you bought yourself...

Guest imported_Thriller

Congratulations Adam. That looks like a very solid car, not to mention the fact of what it is model-wise.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures with the car.

I understood the money issue when I was told about this car. I had actually seen this particular car 2 years ago when I was looking at another one in the same building. My friend Hank Deglman was with me when I saw it, and we checked it out for a few minutes. He told me, "You're not ready for a 58, yet." He then proceeded to tell me how much his chrome and stainless bill was for his 58 Roadmaster convertible.

Well, I don't plan on handing over the entire pile of chrome to the shop at once, so I won't be sweating that all at one time.

I need a project like this. I need a challenge! This fits the bill nicely smile.gif

Adam

Nice find!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now here's a question: I was looking through Kris Trexler's site, and noticed the underside of the trunk lids are different:</div></div>

Possibly if the 58's are like 55's the trunk of a 2dr is longer than a 4dr.

Willie

Guest wk's_olds

WOW! Those are monsterous cars! They were a foot longer than a Cadillac of the same year! I had one back in the 60's; it was silver mist, too. Now the bad news.......not that I wish to be the bearer of such, but I discovered that the '58 Limiteds were somewhat of an experimental car. The original suspensions were rubber air bags that didn't last long, and soon, the car would become a "lowboy." The automatic transmission was the Flight Pitch type which also didn't pan out. There were a couple more issues which slip my memory just now, but beware, unless those issues have been remedied befor you purchased it. I DID love the looks of it, and it had room galore inside, and it was comfy, too.

Adam, you may already know this, but if not, when you look under the car at the transmission pan, if it is a perfect square, that is the Flite-Pitch. If the trans was changed in the past, sometimes they also changed the gear indicator on the dash to the Dynaflow indicator, but I've seen several where they left the Flite-Pitch indicator in and just had to use memory as to where the gears were.

Flite-Pitches can be a pain, but when they work, they are great. If the LTD still has it, and it needs work, there are a couple people I know that specialize in rebuilding them, so there'll be no need to go the Dynaflow route.

Sweet machine, Adam!

Matt

Adam,

You already have an excellent restored driver in your formal coupe, so taking on a long term project such as this is not so disheartening. You can always hop in the Centurion and take a break from the Limited.

Got the car home..

It is a dynaflow - not a triple turbine.

The brakes work...sometimes. I had to keep one foot on the E-brake when I moved it around. It was like driving a stick laugh.gif

Interior is absolutely rotten. I ripped the carpet out (what was left of it) and vacuumed out the rust and nut shells. sick.gif

It runs well, though!

home001.jpg

home002.jpg

home003.jpg

home004.jpg

home005.jpg

home006.jpg

Guest ZondaC12

Wow from the pictures she don't look half bad!!!! I'd sure as hell cruise around town in that with a huge smile on my face as it sits!

Love the picture of it next to the centurion. Wow what a boat. I'm sorry I just love the BIG ass-end and the chrome and stainless everywhere. Gaudy? Perrrrrrhaps. Still looks good? I think so.

Let us know how the A/C is when you get it working. Anyone chime in on how good '50s era A/C was? The closest example I know of first hand is circa 1970s.....a '71 Lincoln Mark III 2dr at a cruise last summer the owner was letting me check out and sit in and move the steering wheel with my LITTLE finger. The A/C in that car was dreadfully freezing LOL.

Guest imported_MrEarl

Adam, I am beginnig to believe that size does matter to you. grin.gif Congratulations and I look forward to following the restoration of it as I always have the detailing of your previouos cars. Factory air, man that is gonna be nice. She's gonna be beautiful!!! smile.gif

I was stumped by the appearance of the heater line. I had never seen or heard of one prior to seeing that. That was the only thing that made sense, though.

Now I REALLY need more room. This is going to be a tough job in a 2-car garage, having to share space with another beastie. I may have to figure something else out about the storage situation.

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to report..

This is the pile of dirt and crapola that came out of the inside of the door.

door_dirt.jpg

I have half of the dash apart, but it looks like I'll be waiting until I can pull the steering column to remove the rest of the pieces.

dash_apart.jpg

Every door panel looks as bad as this one. Ugh.

door_panel.jpg

• 3 weeks later...