Can you tell me - 1931 Chrysler CD8 Engine Rebuild

Guest JDB

For a 1931 Chrysler CD8 Engine Rebuild

I would like to find a Machine shop that is capable of converting

the Babbitted rods to insert bearings. Can you all help with this?

Thanks

JB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rusty_OToole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chrysler was the first company to go to insert bearings in 1934. They invented them.</div></div>

That's interesting since my 1932 and 1933 Franklins both have insert rod bearing.

Steve,

I have sent a inquiry to oddesey restorations. Thanks. The other idea is a good one as to using later rods. I don't know how to approach that one yet.Maybe someone here knows.

I appreciate all help .

JB

What you want to do is certainly possible, but I wonder why. I rebuilt the engine in my daily driver 24 years ago. I rebabbitted the rods and because I could not get any main bearing shells I had them babbetted too. To this time (288,000 miles later) I have had no problem. I drive my car about a thousand miles a month, about fifty fifty city and highway. I like to drive at about 50 to 55 mph but if the traffic is bad, like on the I5 I have no problem driving 60 mph or even 65 for short periods (an half hour or so) and even up to 70 to pass. I change my oil 20 wt every three thousand miles and have never had to add oil between changes.

Just thinking of the extra bother and cost I certainly would not change babbett for insert bearings unless it was a simple case of changing rods.