1938 Model 48 with a new home

Mark Shaw

Yesterday I trailered home the latest and perhaps final addition to my Buick collection. I bought Pat Jacob's 38 Model 48 two door sedan. The first photo is of me (on the left with the big grin) and Jack Gerstkemper who helped me load and unload the car.

Pat wrote several "Torque Tube" articles about this car over the years, and did a great job maintaining this mostly original unrestored car.

It currently has just over 39,000 original miles and runs and drives like new. Pat installed 37 Century ring & pinion gears to make it cruise nicely at just under 60 mph. It has also been re-painted in original Whistler Grey, but still has the original interior in very good condition. Even the windlass at the base of the driver's door (where your feet usually hit when getting in) is like new.

Last night, I went through all the receipts Pat kept for work done on the car and was amazed at how much he put into this car. Nice job Pat.

I can only hope to take care of this car like Pat did. But I am sure it won't be a low mileage car when I am done with it...

post-41092-143137990658_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143137990664_thumb.jpg

post-41092-14313799067_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

What a way to celebrate the 4th. Congratulations Mark!!! That interior is unbelievable. The car couldn't have gone to a better person and will receive the respect and care it deserves. I'm happy for you.

But does this mean your look for a small bodied 54 is over? :(I hope not. smile.gif

Look forward to seeing more of this classic Buick.

Lamar,

No, I can still look.... I just can't buy until I find a way to make room for another Buick.

I already park my open trailer at my daughter's house, but my enclosed trailer is still here in my side yard & empty for now....

<span style="font-size: 20pt">Great Car, it looks fantastic. Simply Spectacular.</span>

Lamar, let's get those pictures posted.

Mark, if the trailer is empty, it sounds like a good place to store another Buick......'54?

See ya'll in Flint. Time is not going to stand still. Pack your bags, plug in your GPS and hit the road.

Mark, I am still thinking about the PWD dinner, I know I have 2 days yet. I will send you an email, I need a question answered.

Stevo

Guest imported_Thriller

Congrats Mark. It's nice to see you now have a "modern" car cool.gif I hope you have great fun with it. See you next week....

I remember seeing a posting for pet names for cars earlier. I just want to add that upon returning home from lunch with my old car buddies last Friday, I told my wife that the "Grey Glider" would be a good name for our 38 Buick.

She didn't like it because it wasn't a female name. She eventually agreed to call it "Gee Gee". I will never call it "Gee Gee", but it makes her happy.

Guest ZondaC12

Wow. Awesome!!!!! Really love it. Don't see many 2 door sedans either.

Is that whistler grey? Mine's *supposed* to be that anyway...if that's what it should look like then I don't have original paint as I thought.

But it is still a grey nevertheless, and personally I refer to it as the "big ol grey BARGE" haha.

Paul,

I have been lookin for you in Flint! Where are you? Yes, mine is Whistler Grey and I do have the original color chips for 1938. Great color! There is a coupe here in the same color with just over 25,000 miles on it. It has had a repaint like mine, but they added some fine gold metal flake in it. It looks great with the gold highlights. Congratulations on your Hemmings article too!