Top Pull Down Help

Hi Tony I would start with all the electrical connections back there I think they thought that would be a dry area, and it really is not.. I find lots of corroded connections and bad wires.. Keep us informed.. Good Luck, Lou

Hey Tony,

You're not alone in your frustration with the pulldown motor. I rebuilt mine last year and it was working fine. Then this spring my battery kept getting drained and I noticed the silver relay on the pulldown assembly was warm and the whole thing worked sporadically. So to keep my battery charge I unplugged the relay....and now the pulldown motor and assembly works perfect every time!! What's up with that??!? I do have to hold the top switch the entire time until it finishes it's cycle....but if it works like that...ok by me....

Hey guys, any ideas why I am getting the results I am???

That silver relay is an "fix" add-on from the original design.

There was some problems with a continious running motor. That silver relay is the same one that turns off your lights a short time after you shut the car. So what it does is cutt off the electricity to the top pull-down motor after a calculated time so there is no runn on; but it doesn't work that way when it gets corroded and shorts out.. Again it is an interior electrical component and does not survive well in an almost exterior area. The original design did not have it, so there is nothing weong with you holding down the switch untill you hear the final tell-tale click that lets you know the motor reached the end of it's cycle and has reversed itself... Good Luck, Lou

• 2 years later...
Guest Dan Boody

I am in need of help with the pull down motor on my TC. When I activate the power button there is absolutely no sound from the motor. This weekend I will attempt to trouble shoot the wiring to confirm there is 12-volts at the one motor lead, and a solid ground at the other lead. Tell me more about this silver relay referred to on the pull down motor. Also, if I do need to replace the motor, please tell me a motor that will fit without modification. I keep hearing of the cadillac pull down motor. Would I look for trunk pull down or only the allante top pull down? Thanks for the help.