1950 Silverstreak

Guest 50silverstreak

Hey christopher I have a silver streak business man coupe I am restoring I am in the process of switching over to 12 volt system I found a guy who is converting my generator to a altinator honestly he explained the whole process and now I am eliminating unnecessary wires. The guy is actually taking the generator core out using the same casing and exterior parts and stuffing an altinator inside so it looks like a generator but is really running a12 v system now I can add other electrical components if need or want

Just remember restoring means back to original, 12 volts and a alternator makes your car a modified car. That will change your antique insurance ( if you have that type of insurance ), and will if you ever show your car put you in with all the modified cars.

• 1 year later...
Guest Hosehund

New to this site, am looking for some information on my Canadian Pontiac Streamliner 4 door, appears to be originally green.

Many parts are missing and not too sure on restoring or putting modern rolling chassis and power in it.

Model 22-08

Serial 0220828707

Engine W137154

Body Serial 2430

Trim 431

Paint 55

I also have a  1950 Pontiac Chieftain 4 door that is all original

• 4 years later...
On 6/29/2008 at 2:24 PM, Lukey said:

Hi Christopher, my name is Lukey and I drive a 1950 Pontiac Chieftain. Glad to see you here. My car is a 4 door delux. What is the style number of your car (mine would be 50-2569D)? There should be a tag on the firewall. If you include the paint and trim codes I can tell you even more about your car. Sure, the car will discharge at idle with the headlights on. That is no big deal. I still have all the original 6 volt stuff in my car and I have no problems at all. I look forward to hearing more from you... Lukey

Can you tell me more about my 1950 pontiac silver streak. It has straight 8 and 4 door

20210325_183350.jpg

On 6/8/2016 at 9:53 PM, Hosehund said:

New to this site, am looking for some information on my Canadian Pontiac Streamliner 4 door, appears to be originally green.

Many parts are missing and not too sure on restoring or putting modern rolling chassis and power in it.

Model 22-08

Serial 0220828707

Engine W137154

Body Serial 2430

Trim 431

Paint 55

no chieftains were built in canada, they were either a fleetleader or a pathfinder.

On 6/8/2016 at 9:53 PM, Hosehund said:

Model 22-08

Serial 0220828707

Engine W137154

Body Serial 2430

Trim 431

Paint 55

no streamliners built in canada, either a fleetleader or a pathfinder. no chieftains built in canada also.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 4:49 PM, Pauline said:

Can you tell me more about my 1950 pontiac silver streak. It has straight 8 and 4 door

20210325_183350.jpg

I've been researching our '48 we're picking up tomorrow. From what I can gather, it was actually the inline 8 engine that determined the silver streak badging.  The waterfall trim seems to be the source of the nickname.  From what I've seen so far, in '48 there were only Torpedo and Streamliner models, with several sub-models, but only the 8-cylinder cars got the silver streak badges on the sides. I believe the Torpedo then went away in favor of the Chieftain. 

Posts above were correct that "Silver Streak" was not a model.  However, the posting that claimed that GM never used the term in marketing wasn't quite correct.  In addition to the badging, there were some publications referencing the silver streak design theme. There's some history here:

http://www.oldcaradvertising.com/Pontiac%20&%20Oakland/1935/1935%20Pontiac%20Ad-01.html

https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/the-pontiac-silver-streak-story/

Edited by pvfjr (see edit history)