'50 Buick 56R

oldwood

I'm new to the Buick forum. I just bought a 1 owner 1950 56R out of a garage. Hasn't been taged since 1977. It has every piece of paper work since new ie.owners manuel, Hydramatic pamplets, the little cards that hangs off of the cig. lighter,a thank you note from Buick Motor Division in Flint 2,Michigan post marked Jan. 27, 10am,1951 with a 3 cent stamp, sales tax receipt, sales invoice that lists options w/ total purchase price ($2400.00). Too many others to describe. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how. I can't wait to here it run.

Got it running today but it has no oil at the rocker arm assy. Its running good oil pressure at the guage. 95K miles on the motor. What kind of problems will I have at this mileage. Chiltons refers to the oiling tubes. Any suggetions?

Only using visual information from a 38, I believe the oil escapes the rocker arm via one or two small holes in the rocker shaft, just above the keepers on the valve springs. If you really have no oil at the valves then I'd pull the rocker arm and take it apart to try to clean it all internally. If you hae no oil at the rocker arm itself then that's a different story and I don't know what to suggest.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Oldwood:

The way the whole thing works is that each rocker arm has a feed hole under it in the long rocker arm shaft. This hole feeds the rocker arm. The rocker arm shaft is fed thru the clearance in the front rocker arm stand, so line up of the shaft in both front to back direction and rotational direction is critical. There is a hole in the cylinder head that feeds the bottom of the front rocker arm stand. In the side of the cylinder head near the front is a small oil line opening that either feeds from the filter (if the car has one) or via a small tube from side of the block. It's easy to check and clean, but be very careful to get everything back together the right way.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Pulled out lifters,cleaned and reprimed.Partially disassembled rocker assy(4-5hrs) 58 yrs of sludge but cleaned and ready. Took oil canister apart and couldn't believe the sludge. Scooped it out with a spoon. Scared to run it so I pulled down the oil pan. Again I pulled out the EXTRA LARGE spoon to clean out the pan. I droped the oil pump(I forgot to set it up on # 1 TDC)so I'll have to pull out my chilton's on how to reinstall to get timing right. Didn't want to look at rod and mains bearings but was surprised at how good they looked for 96K miles. Pondering replacing or not.Almost forgot to mention the rusted holes in the oil pan eaten from the inside out.I'm also worring @ the tranny. I need the softer and easier way to show pics since I'm computor challenged. Dorsey Williamson '47&'48 olds woody and '50 buick 56R

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dorsey:

Be sure you install a new oil filter. NAPA still has the right ones, but if my memory's correct, NAPA will list that filter as being for an old John Deere tractor. DO NOT USE MODERN DETERGENT OIL THE FIRST TIME !!! All of the stuff you loosened up will get in the filter quickly, so you might want to replace it in a couple of hundred miles.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dorsey:

If you post the frame and engine numbers and the paint and trim code numbers from the body plate, I can tell you what the car looked like originally, where and a close when it was built.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave,thanks for your help. Here is the tag info: 1950 mod 56R;style no. 50-4537;body no. BK 1129;trim no. 50;paint no.18. It has been painted once the same color. Update on progress: cleaned all rod bearings and three mains. All looked good.Found another oil pan and waiting on gasket set and gas tank. Starting on brakes while I'm waiting on parts. Still cant figure out how to load pics. Have a friend coming by who is more savvy on loading pics. Do you think the tranny is going to work?????? All this work on the mtr I sure hope it does. Does any one need any extra grease for their hair,it's FREE. HA HA

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Dorsey:

Trim code 50 is for "grey herringbone pattern cloth". Paint code 18 is for "Calvin gray". Optional wheel color is "Dante Red", standard wheel color is Calvin gray. Wheel stripe is "French white". BK is a body code for Kansas City body plant. I have Duco and Dulux numbers if you need them. I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave, Is calvin gray a light green. The spare tire and wheel are original w/the light green color w/ three french white stripes. Very cool looking. The wheels on the car were repainted when the car was. They matched the paint as the door jambs are original. I'm waiting on fr. wheel cyls., fuel pump, new gas tank (250.00) vs old tank being coated(150.00),oil pan,gst set. And who knows what else. I want to post pics but its to much for me to handle. Had a parts man tell me about and old buick and I looked at it today. A clean bodied '54 century 4door thats been sitting under a shed. I should here a price this week. But do I want a 4 door? Clean body but 4 doors just dont bring the money vs 2 doors. Are these cars worth buying vs the work involved to get them running and stopping? I'm still saving for Hershey. Dorsey

• 2 weeks later...

Madien voyage completed since being stored since 1977. I was worried @ the tranny but it pulled. Just drove it to the gas station as customers walked around it asking,"What is it" Didn't want to push my luck yet. I have a lot of fine tuning to do before I really get to enjoy it. A lot of work accomplished but more to go. Dorsey

John, Thanks for the latest pics of a clean '50. After having the radiator boiled and all hoses (40+ feet of 5/8 hose) and 2 radiator hoses,belt replaced I have been driving it in 95+ degree heat without any problems. The tranny is even working right ie with just a very minor drip. I hope its not to hard to fix. I'm just glad it runs after sitting since '77. What do you think about a set of skirts and a visor??????? What were they wanting for the '50 you pictured? I'll try and post some new pics since I've cleaned it. Also, There's something about 58 year old grease that is hard to srub off of skin. Thanks, Dorsey

I don't know what they were asking for the car. I didn't look mostly because that way I was not tempted to buy it.

As for skirts and a visor, my opinion is, if it didn't come with them, then it doesn't need em. Of course I fully respect each individuals taste and preference when it comes to that sort of stuff. I know when I found out my 69 had the wider than stock chrome wheels I was pleased and I kept them on the car. So if these things make your car yours, then I would say just try not to alter the body to install them.

Anxious to see the pics. It looks like the grey car in the pics I posted has the same color green as your car, on the roof.

Dorsey,

Good Choice! The 56R is so beautiful on the road. While my car is two tone, i particularly like these cars in a single colour.

I have attached a link to my web site where you may find useful reference information for your car.

You will see as well that I have copied the original cloth for the seats. I had this made here in Australia and would like to sell the remaining cloth that I have (120 Meters). Email if you would like a sample.

Site has colour charts for you to check your colour combination. Send a message if you would like specific images of the car.

Enjoy Michael M

Thanks Michael for the info. I took off the plastic seat covers today and found the build sheet. I didn't realize how primitive these sheets were. It look like a bunch of useless letters and numbers. I also have a lot of the original paper work that came in the glove and knob hangers. My interior has the same cloth that your selling but I'm not there for that expense. Did you put on the fender spears? thx, dorsey

No I did not put on the spears. I could not make up my mind if I liked them or not.

I have so much that I could put on the car and I think it would be too much to have front and back guard ornaments, as well as bumper ornaments front and back.

I hope to take some more photos this week and add them to my site. If you know anything about the cars that you think may be of intrest to me I would love to know.

Yes the build sheets are somewhat crude. Funny though there were computer punch cards for each card as well. But the build sheets were ment for the assembaly line. Good that you have it for your car, it is a very important piece of proverdance.

As too what the numbers mean I would also love to know.

If you were to tell me what is on your sheet I may be able to work some of them out.

Michael

Michael M

post-35614-143137993888_thumb.jpg

post-35614-14313799389_thumb.jpg

My build sheet was under the rear seat and has factory ink stain that was spilled on it. 1st line-?14., 2nd line ?29.B.R.V.50, 3rd line 4537-18-50 4th line M-H-A-C. The ?marks are where the stain hides some #'s or letters.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/GM_Build_Codes

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com

http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/bingo/bingo.htm

http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/heritage/archive/index.jsp

I am on the lookout for decoding info. I know the links above are not strictly 1950,or Buick, but thought the sites were worth mentioning.

I have also started a thread at http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/527276/Build_sheets_Do_you_have_yours#Post527276

Looking for more clues.

Comparing the two sheets I can see some info in common:

Line1 Dorsey -?14.

Line1 Michael 59

Line2 Dorsey ?29.B.R.V.50

Line2 Michael 1382.B.R V.50

Line3 Dorsey 4537-18-50

Line3 Michael 4537-12-50

Line4 Dorsey M-H-A-C

Line4 Michael M.E.G.H

Line5 Michael C-D-F

The things our cars have in common; (Dorsey please tell me more about your car)

Clock

Dynaflow

Radio

Seat Fabric

Dots and dashes are are per my build sheet (see image)

I will keep looking!

Gary, Thank you I consider myself lucky to have found this car.

I tried to look at your 50 (I do like the four door as well) I drove my 4 door 50 every day for about 7 years. The link to the images on your website did not show me the photos. I will visit again sometime to see if it works, I see you are aware of problems with the site as you lost your blog as well.

Your car has its virtue as well.

Like all four door owners I "aspired to" a two door, and set about looking for one. I LOVE the shapes and the grill on the 50, so a 50 2 door was an obvious choice. The two door came from Canada.

I do not have a garage so could not keep two. It was a very sad day when I had to part with the four door. I did not realise what I had, until it was time for it to go.

My 4 door was black and it really did cut a "Handsome" figure on the road! The car was original including the old paint, roof racks, dings and scratches. Possibly scarey looking!

Interesting. I would always get comments from men about the four door. Never women. I think it was just too imposing.

The blue car is at the other end of the scale all "Pretty" and the ladies do comment.

The two cars are very differnt, I think the first car had four doors so that the THUGS could jump out quickly to rob banks and stuff........... Four door was also far more practical as I could pull the back seats out to carry heavy loads between the front and rear axles rather than in the trunk.

MM

post-35614-143137994893_thumb.jpg