A photo from 1947 of my g-pa's gas station what cars are shown?

Guest 57wagon

Guest 57wagon

Back in 1947, this photo was snapped at my grandfather's Standard/Tankar station in Fairfield Iowa. My mother would love to know all of the cars in the photo. I know my grandfather (second from right in grey coveralls) loved Hudsons, so I think the car behind the men is probably a Hudson, but would love to know what you all can tell me of the history in this photo!

Guest 57wagon

what year??? And the photo was blown up to give you all enough of an image to work with. Sorry for the size of it.

Guest elmo39

the car behind the pumps looks like a 37-38 DODGE but could also be a Plymouth ,Chrysler or Desoto as they all used the same body style

That's a great family photo you got there; imagine pumping gas from the side door of that once-stately home. The car behind your g-father and his friends is a '29-'30 Nash, a large one with sidemounts. Maybe a '29 Super Six on a 121" whb?

<span style="font-style: italic">Great</span> photo!

TG

Guest 57wagon

I really like how you broke that out like that! I have found the original 4 x 5 photo and there is more detail for the car on the far left and a full view of the stake truck on the right.

It is a Tankar Gas Station.

Guest prof pat

I do not think the pickup is a Ford, the cab is not right, and the bed is too long for a 33-34. Also the hood has too many louvers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prof pat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do not think the pickup is a Ford, the cab is not right, and the bed is too long for a 33-34. Also the hood has too many louvers. </div></div>

The pickup has me stumped too, although I'm pretty sure it has a '33-'34 Chevy truck front bumper (missing one bumper guard). I think it may be a homemade job.

Does the Nash have the correct wheels?

From what I see the Ford is a roadster pickup. It seems to be well rugged up!!

On 1932 Ford PU's the grill was vertical as the pass cars were.

But 33/34 PU's the grill was the same but on an angle.

As Elmo said the car behind the bowsers belongs to the Chrysler family from the late 1930's and the truck looks like it could be a Chev.

Manuel in Oz

Guest Bob Call

57W

The pickup at the pumjp is not a Ford. Grill, headlights and fernders are not Ford. My father died in the crash of a 33 Ford delivery. I'm guessing Dodge or Plymouth.

The big truck is hard to tell from the angle but it appears to be a 32 to 35 Chevy or Ford.

The roadster PU is a 1932 or 33 Ford model. But a rather sad one unfortunately [if its not a bitsa].

The headlights appear to have sealed conversions.

I have an identical pic of a beautifully restored one.

The wheels appear to be different sizes from here [or is it the angle?].

Cheers,

Manuel in Oz

• 5 weeks later...

Looks to me like from left to right...1937 Plymouth peeking out, 1929 or 1930 Chrysler two sedan. Car behind pumps is 1937 Dodge Brothers. The trucks are up for grabs. John