Looking for info on my late Father's 1940 Continental.

Sweepspear

Let me start by saying that my intentions are not to find this car to purchase it. (Maybe some day though I hope!)

I am just curious as to where the car is, if it is still as my Father restored it etc.

Also, I may be able to answer any questions the current owner may have about it.

Here are the particulars.

1940 Continental Cabriolet.

Chassis #103603

Body #06H56-292

Restored by my Father Russell Bjorklund of New Brighton, MN during the early 80's.

Sold to a Dr. Schultz of Buffalo, N.Y. in late 1991 or early 1992.

Car is also featured on page 331 of the book "The Classic Car" published by the CCCA.

Any help would be appreciated. This car has a lot of sentimental value to me as I helped my Father restore it, and I loved driving it. What a road car!

Many tears were shed as it was loaded onto the transport trailer. :(

I have been meaning to post this request for some time now.

Thanks in advance!

Dale Bjorklund

dale.l.bjorklund@gmail.com

Edited by Sweepspear
New email address (see edit history)

Hi Dale,

I remember your dad and the Lincoln. The only 1940 Continental cabriolet that I know of in ALL OF NEW YORK is owned by Lloyd Shulman in Carmel, which is near Connecticut.

I would suggest contacting Lloyd Pearson in Minneapolis. I'm sure he knew your dad, and owning a 1940 cabriolet himself, he may have an idea of what happened to your dad's car.

My 1994-95 LCOC directory has 1940 Continental Cabriolet #103603 registered to Gerard E. Schultz, M.D, P.C. at 351 Girdle Road, East Aurora, NY 14052 (716)652-2252. However, www.switchboard.com has no current listing for Gerard Schultz in East Aurora, NY.

The car is no longer listed in my 1996-98 directory, nor is it listed in the latest LCOC directory.

I would suggest contacting Dave Cole with your inquiry. Dave has tried to keep track of all known 1940 Continental Cabriolets and he might be able to provide more information. (Dave has owned his 1940 Continental since 1954).

Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil Knapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 1994-95 LCOC directory has 1940 Continental Cabriolet #103603 registered to Gerard E. Schultz, M.D, P.C. at 351 Girdle Road, East Aurora, NY 14052 (716)652-2252. However, www.switchboard.com has no current listing for Gerard Schultz in East Aurora, NY.

The car is no longer listed in my 1996-98 directory, nor is it listed in the latest LCOC directory.

I would suggest contacting Dave Cole with your inquiry. Dave has tried to keep track of all known 1940 Continental Cabriolets and he might be able to provide more information. (Dave has owned his 1940 Continental since 1954).

Good Luck! </div></div>

Thanks for looking in the member directories Phil!

How do I contact Dave Cole? Is he a member on the board here?

Since you posted a message on this forum, I assumed that you were a mmber of the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club.

Dave Cole is the editor of the LZOC newsletter "The Way of the Zephyr". Dave is also a contributor to the LCOC "Continental Comments" and to the Early Ford V8 Club "V8 Times".

Dave's mailing address is:

1119 South Speed Street

Santa Maria, California 93454

(805)925-8427

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil Knapp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you posted a message on this forum, I assumed that you were a mmber of the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club.

Dave Cole is the editor of the LZOC newsletter "The Way of the Zephyr". Dave is also a contributor to the LCOC "Continental Comments" and to the Early Ford V8 Club "V8 Times".

Dave's mailing address is:

1119 South Speed Street

Santa Maria, California 93454

(805)925-8427

</div></div>

No, I'm not a member of either club.

I hope I am not stepping out of bounds by posting here.

I can understand why you would assume I was a member.

I appreciate the help Phil. smile.gif

With someone who has experience with this kind of thing, as most on here know, I'll tell you the story in a nutshell. My grandpa owned a 1948 Lincoln Continental, he bought it in '75 and sold it in 1991. I had no idea what happened to it, since I was 3 at the time! So, after he died I was digging through his stuff, and I had forgotten about the car, anyway, I found some pics. and below those pics. I found an old registration! With the vin # this, was from 1958 or so, with a woman's name on it. Anyway, I sent in the info into DMV, and I just got the guy's name and it showed my grandpa as the last owner. So, I put my # on the copy that they were going to send, and one night I got a call! And the rest is history! And the guy I bought it from no longer wanted it, and I practically stole the car! It has the orig. paint, and interior and they are in decent condition considering it has been outside all this time. So, you might find it and it might be setting all these years, and you just might be able to get it for a steal!

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/479089/Wes_1948_Lincoln_1975_1991#Post479089

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/479093/Wes_1948_Lincoln_1991_2007#Post479093

When u find the person dont sound to eager. I waited the guy out, and I got it for 40% cheaper than he originally wanted! He just wanted it gone! My Continental I probably got for cheaper than everyone on here! I just waited the guy out. Also, I let him know that I didnt need another old car, and it helped that he was 2 hours away from where he could even possibly put it up for sale (L.A. County Fair Grounds).

It's interesting how these cars seem to turn up in some strange places. In 1969, a good friend of ours in Fremont, Nebraska sold a 1941 Continental Cabriolet to a doctor in Iowa.

The doctor drove the car rarely. So rarely in fact that the original aluminum heads leaked coolant into the engine and caused it to seize. When the doctor retired, his neighbor bought the car, freed the engine and got it running. He also used the car rarely until he decided to thin out his car collection.

It turns out that the car had spent most of over 30 years covered up in heated garages so it was pretty well preserved. It's a relatively un-molested, mostly original car. The odometer shows only 83,000 miles. We found out about the car in 2006, made a deal in early 2007 and brought the car to Texas where **WE** now drive it only rarely.

Attached are photos of the car at the "Grand Opening" of our son's Chiropractic practice in Lakeville, Minnesota and the snowstorm we encountered on our retrieval trip in February, 2007. I found the 1941 Minnesota license plates on ebay and put them on the car for the display.

A Webshots photo album of the car can be viewed at:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/557478162IZJiRf

Correction: The second photo description has the location as "Lakeview, Minnesota". It should be "Lakeville, Minnesota".

There's a "Lakeview" here in Texas and I'm easily confused!

post-32768-143137989058_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137989061_thumb.jpg

post-32768-143137989062_thumb.jpg

Hey Wes,

If you're still interested in the first 21 issues of the early (1953-55) LCOC bulletins, put a check in the mail for $20 and send me your mailing address.

My mailing address is in the LZOC and LCOC directories.

By the way, if anybody else is interested, I still have the CDs containing PDF files, Microsoft Office files, and .jpg files of these bulletins.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Through his son, I was able to contact Mr. David Cole.

He was gracious enough to send me a letter informing me that he has no further information on the car beyond it being owned by Dr. Schultz. But that he may make mention of my quest in an upcoming issue of the Way of the Zephyr magazine.

What was interesting was he sent me copies of correspondence that he and my father had exchanged back and forth in the late 70's when my father purchased the car.

I'll keep you posted.

Dale

• 4 years later...

Bumping this. My how time flies!

Every now and then I do an image search on Google to see if the car pops up somewhere.

On my last search attempt, I came across this photo. The site this photo came from didn't produce a lead. For all I know this picture (which looks scanned) may go back to when Dr. Schultz owned it.

I believe is the same car, because how many Paradise Green '40 Continental Cabriolets are out there?

Plus, this car appears to have the radio antennae on the passenger side just as my Dad's car had from the factory.

Looks like a passenger side mirror was added.

8535222916_a11acea2af.jpg

:confused:

• 2 months later...
Guest frenchy dehoux

I remember we had a meet back in 1992 or so at Cal Beauregard warehouse in Calif near the 210 Freeway I think on a Sunday a gentelman drove in in his 1940 or 1941 Lincoln Continental beetle green convertible his name was Prentice Bacon.

Thanks Frenchy