1931 8-90 in England

Guest jules greenway

Guest jules greenway

Hi guys,Well, the Buick has finally arrived here in England after a short diversion via Holland! Frame No:2539023 Engine No:2707326 Now for the first of what I'm sure will be many pleas for technical advice!1 The Radiator Shell has four small holes around the filler hole; has something been removed to allow the fitting of a non standard cap?  2 When cleaning all the crud off the Rear Brake Backplates I see there is a hole, above where the Brake lever pivots,which seems to connect in back of the axle/oil seal  Am I right in thinking this is a drain hole so that any excess oil runs down the back rather than getting onto the brakes? is this a warning also not to use too thin an oil?  3 There are internal Door Locks/Latches on three of the doors (2 rear + drivers)is this correct? should there be any external Key/Locks?  4 One of Rope/Grab Handles has a broken fixing if anyone has a spare Ring I could re-make the rope  Finally (for now!) a pic of what I'm sure will soon be considered our Pride and Joy! Thanks in anticipation  Best regards  Jules

post-55807-143137986823_thumb.jpg

post-55807-143137986827_thumb.jpg

post-55807-14313798683_thumb.jpg

Jules,

Congratulations on getting you Buick across the pond safely. The holes on the radiator shell are not (to my knowledge) for anything but to maybe vent heat from under the shell.

I cannot respond with authority to the brake vent, other than it too is probably to vent and drain oil, water, brake dust, etc from another enclosed space on the car.

Only the passenger side door should have an outside key lock. All others lock from the inside.

I think is still have a couple of old grab ropes in my spare stuff. Please send me a separate email if you want one or both.

On the rear backing plate of my '23 there is a tube which is the 'exit / drain' tube for the excess grease which is pumped into the outer hub grease fitting to lube the rear wheel bearings. Do you have a grease fitting on the outer hubs by the hub caps?

Guest jules greenway

hi Brian

no there is no grease nipple on the hubs, but Specification Book mentions oil from axle doing the job after initial packing with grease

regards

Jules

Jules.

My '32 has at least two holes, so no I have to check more carefuly to see if the others got filed along the way in the plating process. This may have been the attachment they used for the original plating.

The comments are corect for the door handle. Likely the previous owner had replaced the original locking one if I understand your comments correctly. I assume you are sticking with left hand drive, do it would be the passanger side door that l;ocked. I think it is quite difficult to find a locking door handle. Mac Blair in PA had some reproductions for '32s, but I am not sure if he has any now. I can check for you if you lioke.

John

Guest jules greenway

John,

Many thanks, that is correct, we are sticking with LHD so Passenger door has no lock. I think I've seen a Locking Handle advertised somewhere- should've kept a note but didn't realise we needed one at the time! I'm sure there will be many other requests/queries

regards

Jules

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Jules:

A quick check of the frame number confirms that the Buick factory records show 2,539,023 was issued to a 1931 90, the 7th car in the 4th batch of frame numbers, which makes it approximately the 3010th model 90 of the 4159 built. Engine number of 2,707,326 is for a 90 series engine and appears to be the original engine. Congrats on a good purchase.

Regard, Dave Corbin

Guest jules greenway

Hi Dave

Thanks for that; it's always nice to know that everything is correct! We are having great fun already finding out all about where things are and how they work-I had never come across a car with a wind up Windscreen-very novel and handy for getting thru our DMV Test because cars with opening screens do not have to have working Wipers/washers! Will let you know how things progress

regards

Jules

• 2 weeks later...

The pipes on the backing plates are drains for excess oil from the differential. Note that if you take off the differential cover, the filler hole goes below the center, not above the center of the differential.

New felt grease seals for the front and rear wheels are available from Bobsautomobilia.com. He has an on line catalogue.

Regarding the grease nipples in the hubs: Packing the wheel bearings regularly with good grease will handle any lubrication problems. Filling the hubs with grease is in my opinion a waste of time and money.

Guest jules greenway

Fred,thanks; have got the seals from Bob's, just waiting for a friend who is making me a hub puller! Meanwhile I am working my way thru the Brakes and then on to the Dampers which I don't think have seen any oil for some time! However I have been pleasantly surprised how well things have come apart considering the 77 years! Also impressive how well these old cars were built

regards

Jules

Guest jules greenway

Hi Mark

I did reply to your emails, did you not receive them? Many thanks for the offer of the Grab Ropes; as the fittings are different I will see if we can track down the correct one (It's a bit like a modern seatbelt fixing which is able to swivel) if not I will get back to you

regards

Jules