locksmith/key question

Is there anyone on this list who knows about automotive locksmithing? I have lock cylinders on one of my cars for which I have never had keys--they are lost, gone. I recently obtained the original lock numbers from 1956 and since they are Briggs and Stratton keys I am assuming they are also B&S cylinders? (I know, never assume!) Does anyone know of a locksmith that can still cut from those old numbers?

Guest EMF-Owner

My 1912 Rauch & Lang Electric had the controller locked in the OFF position when I got it. I was able to get the lock cylinder out and take it to a lock smith who was able to make a key for it. They had a bit of trouble finding a blank for a cylinder that old, but I had gone through a bucket of keys my dad had and found a couple of keys that would at least go into the cylinder. They told me this helped them find the correct blank to use.

With a cylinder as common as a B&S, I would think you would have no problem having a key made.

Good Luck.

John

In the past I have gone to a locksmith shop that has been in business MANY years in Rochester, NY to get keys made for old gas pumps, cars, etc. They have key blank codes and cutting codes back to almost 1900 it seems. I haven't stumped them yet and I suppose they could rekey the tumblers in the lock cylinder if necessary too.

Try thte oldest locksmith near you and see if they can help you out- Bill

Guest imported_Packards1

Mr. PB, I have several hundred keys that you can try if it is for the car brand I think you are refering to. email me off line.

Just had my locks rekeyed ( 1930 Chrysler )and new keys made by an older man. Did an excellent job at a very resonable price. He has a lot of old car locks too. Call H. Brust at 124 West Light Street, Urbana, Ohio 43078 phone 1-937-652-4682. He was great !

Guest JDHolmes

I had no keys but the original keycode, took it to the locksmith and he looked up the code and cut the keys. $30.00 and 15 minutes. This was on a 53 Pontiac.