Very Early Coil or ??

hddennis

I just picked this up hoping I could use it on my Maxwell dry cell system. I now find out it's not the proper one and as it's mounted very near the the carburetor I don't think I'll chance the open spark! Does anyone know what this is or what it fits? It measures 6 inches tall and 2 11/16ths across. Stamped on the bottom is 8 1 8. It appears to be made of a cardboard tube embossed with a leatherette pattern and wooden ends and it weighs I'd guess about a pound. Other than the cracked rubber lead wire it seems it was used very little if at all. Anyone need one? Thanks, Howard Dennis

post-33891-143137986049_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143137986064_thumb.jpg

Guest Leonard Shepherd

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hddennis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To whomever monitors this site that little red car above is not on my computer anywhere! I put two pictures of my coil up and this is what shows up. </div></div>

That has happened to me before. If you edit your file manager and delete that picture and post it again, it seems to work for me. I have also reduced the size of your picture.

post-52673-143137986045_thumb.jpg

Probably you should check contiuity and ohms of resistance with your honourable economical oriental multimeter, (which is now almost indispenible for anyone who restores or drives old cars.) Similar check of the ubiquitous T Ford coil will give you an idea of the voltage it should run by the resistance of the primary circuit. Both circuits, primary and secondary, likely have a common ground. There is most likely a capacitor across the points (which might otherwise not long endure); but a capacitor tester is a fairly scarce piece of equipment that you do not use often. (I bought a new coil and capacitor tester about 30 years ago, and even "at cost" through a friend, the price made me whistle though my teeth. I have possibly used it a dozen times since then; but it is indispensable.) Ignition system capacitors are an item that has improved in reliability quite dramatically since the 1960's. They are also much more compact. The practicality of surgery to replace an internal capacitor in that coil I cannot estimate.

Ivan Saxton

Kind of you, but it is not my specialty, but rather general knowledge. I am learning all the time, too. I just try to pass on useful information that I can be sure of. I dont know precisely what it would have been used for, and I really dont have any vehicle that might use it. Most of my cars are in the 1920's, I guess partly because I like to shift the scenery more quickly than the pioneers and primitives. I'll draw David Dryden's attention to it because he may know. (He has just had his restored 1903 2cyl Ford out for its first event. It is superb, starts first turn hot or cold, and does not overheat -- He made his own new finned radiator tubes!!!!)

Regards, Ivan

Thanks again Ivan. I know I could sell it to the stationary engine guys but if it does fit an early car I'd rather it went there as it appears to need very little restoration and would I imagine be a welcome addition to an authentic restoration. Howard

I rang David Dryden, and he had a look. He siad that it is not early Ford. He also had a Curved Dash Oldsmobile until recently, and it is not that either. He suggested to try Cadillac. The bloke to ask first is Steve Hammatt. The quickest way I could think to get onto one of his posts to send him a Private Message is as follows: Click search in the line above, then insert his name in the space then click the submit box. One of his posts' detail came up. I didnot follow any further, but if you click that it should come up, them if you click on his name you get the option to sent him a private message. Because I am not 12 years old I have to blunder around, so that is probably not the most elegant way to do it. Regards, Ivan

It could be an auxiliary ignition coil for a brass era dual ignition system. My 1914 Hudson parts book shows a similar, but slightly smaller coil, housed in a wooden box that was mounted on the side of the engine. The box & coil for mine is long gone.

The primary ignition is an early Delco starter generator system with a regular 6v battery. The manual and wiring diagram also show a secondary ignition system using dry cells and vibrator coil. This was the back up when the Delco wouldn't work or the batter died.

Switch over to dry cell and vibrator coil and use the hand crank to start and your back on the road.

Drive safe.

Thanks for the help fellows. I took your advice and sent Steve an email and pictures and will hope he can shed some light on the subject. I also tried to Google something on 1 & 2 cylinder cars and it seems there isn't a single club or group that covers these early cars only marque specific clubs or did I miss something?

Howard Dennis