Transferring an antique plate in Pennsylvania

Oldsfan

Has anyone ever bought a previously-titled antique in the state of Pennsylvania and kept the previous owner's plate on it? I've changed cars to antique status already, but never bought one already titled as such, nor kept the owner's plate on it - until now. What is involved? Just a normal MV-4ST title transfer? Must I send pictures like I'm re-applying again? Must I go through one of those special inspection stations now?

Paul

Guest imported_jmarsicano

Paul-

Contact your State Senator, He or She can help you with the appropriate paperwork.

PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

We'll find out. I just sent the paperwork to the state as a normal transfer. Pictures were required with the antique form, but I just did an MV-4 like a regular title and tag transfer using the title and transfer fees from the antique form, and a letter from the previous owner releasing the plate to me. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Paul

Just a note to say that Virginia's not much better. Made two trips to DMV already, still no tags. The wife forgot to sign the old title. A notary wouldn't notarize a form without the wife being present.

The criminal abusers are making me think criminally! mad.gif

Wayne

And Vajenya used to be so old car friendly...

Till a certain 14th House District legislator came along...

"He said if you don't gimme the deed to your ranch, I'll throw you on the railroad tracks" Why did that song come to mind?

I can understand the Notary's position Wayne. They have guidelines to follow too. I believe an antique plate is the only one in the Commonwealth that requires a Notary's stamp.

'Course, being in a border county, we're used to notarizing as NC requires a Notary's stamp on any automobile buy or sale transaction. It took me close to 2 weeks to get everything and everyone together when I bought my F150 out of Roxboro last year, just to get it ready to title in VA. The executor of the estate, who had power of attorney on the NC title, lived an hour and a half away in Wake Forest. And all parties had to sign in the Notary's presence.

• 2 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone ever bought a previously-titled antique in the state of Pennsylvania and kept the previous owner's plate on it? I've changed cars to antique status already, but never bought one already titled as such, nor kept the owner's plate on it - until now. What is involved? Just a normal MV-4ST title transfer? Must I send pictures like I'm re-applying again? Must I go through one of those special inspection stations now?

Paul </div></div>

I also live in Pennsylvania and have found that my local AAA office has more knowledge and experience dealing with questions and situations like this. They deal with this MUCH more often than someone like me. Being a AAA member has it's advantages.

If you are a AAA member visit your local office and pose your questions to them. Chances are, they will know the answers.

• 3 weeks later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oldsfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We'll find out. I just sent the paperwork to the state as a normal transfer. Pictures were required with the antique form, but I just did an MV-4 like a regular title and tag transfer using the title and transfer fees from the antique form, and a letter from the previous owner releasing the plate to me. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Paul </div></div>

My registration card came last week while I was on vacation. I would imagine the title will follow soon. Looks like we got it all right on the first try.

Paul

• 3 months later...

I excerpted this sentence from rocketraiders post:

quote:

The executor of the estate, who had power of attorney on the NC title, lived an hour and a half away in Wake Forest. And all parties had to sign in the Notary's presence.

unquote

Let me tell you of a difficulty back in the 80's and if you ever bump up against an estate sale you may be prepared.

The deceased was known as George X, Geo X Jr, George X III, Geo X III and another I dont remember. His poor widow was totally beside herself trying to sell a car that was NOT registered in the same name as the death certificate. And to top it all off she was trying to sell it in the state where he had worked vs the neighboring state it was registered in.

We were trying to buy the car so we saw all of her troubles.

What a 2 month long nightmare... The stress nearly killed her literally.

Any of you Jr's, IIs or IIIs out there make sure all of the 'authorities' know all of your 'aliases'.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R W Burgess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a note to say that Virginia's not much better. Made two trips to DMV already, still no tags. The wife forgot to sign the old title. A notary wouldn't notarize a form without the wife being present.

The criminal abusers are making me think criminally! mad.gif

Wayne </div></div>

What form are you trying to have notarized? None of the Virginia registration forms require a notary any longer.

AQ and AV antique plate registrations now require a notarized statement that the car is roadworthy and will meet year of manufacture safety standards. Without it, you don't get the plates.

All that crap we went thru and I still see clunkers running around with antique plates. I still say it was about revenue, and I still think Mr. Marshall will be back again and again until he gets antique plates back in personal property tax rolls. And I still think he lied to my face in a church sanctuary last fall when I asked him point blank if that was his ultimate plan.

The man is a consummate politician. Fred Astaire was no better at dancing around issues.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AQ and AV antique plate registrations now require a notarized statement that the car is roadworthy and will meet year of manufacture safety standards. Without it, you don't get the plates.

All that crap we went thru and I still see clunkers running around with antique plates. I still say it was about revenue, and I still think Mr. Marshall will be back again and again until he gets antique plates back in personal property tax rolls. And I still think he lied to my face in a church sanctuary last fall when I asked him point blank if that was his ultimate plan.

The man is a consummate politician. Fred Astaire was no better at dancing around issues. </div></div>

Wrong.

The law was changed for 2008 eliminating the requirement for the form VSA-10B to be notorized. Here is a link to the current antique registration law, 46.2-730 and form VSA-10B.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-730

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/vsa10b.pdf

Then that proves beyond all doubt it was revenue driven. mad.gif

Meanwhile explain section E which is still in 46.2-730 (which I had to invoke on my local County Commissioner of Revenue just last week).

E. Owners of motor vehicles and trailers applying for registration pursuant to subsections A, B and C <span style="font-weight: bold">shall submit</span> to the Department, <span style="font-weight: bold">in the manner prescribed by the Department, certifications that such vehicles or trailers are capable of being safely operated on the highways of the Commonwealth.</span>

Wasn't that the original intent of notarizing the VSA10B?

Don't get me wrong. I won't argue if I don't have to go find and pay a Notary every time I register one of the cars. All I want is a little consistency, and quit changing the rules in the middle of the game.

There is no damn good reason for antique car license plates to have become the political football they have the last few years in Virginia, and it is the same people driving it every time.

Guest Bluesky636

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rocketraider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then that proves beyond all doubt it was revenue driven. mad.gif

Meanwhile explain section E which is still in 46.2-730 (which I had to invoke on my local County Commissioner of Revenue just last week).

E. Owners of motor vehicles and trailers applying for registration pursuant to subsections A, B and C <span style="font-weight: bold">shall submit</span> to the Department, <span style="font-weight: bold">in the manner prescribed by the Department, certifications that such vehicles or trailers are capable of being safely operated on the highways of the Commonwealth.</span>

Wasn't that the original intent of notarizing the VSA10B?

Don't get me wrong. I won't argue if I don't have to go find and pay a Notary every time I register one of the cars. All I want is a little consistency, and quit changing the rules in the middle of the game.

There is no damn good reason for antique car license plates to have become the political football they have the last few years in Virginia, and it is the same people driving it every time. </div></div>

Yes, its all about the "Benjamins."

Here is the link to HB52 that created the current version of 46.2-730. Note the deletions in Section E. Notarizing the form served no real purpose. You are still certifying that your car is safe to drive.

For information on Virginia laws affecting the automotive hobbyest, you should look at the Virginia Association of Car Councils, http://www.vaacc.org/. I am president of The Northern Virginia Car Club Council, http://www.novaccc.org.

• 11 months later...

From a PA resident

This was quite a while back, but I bought my 1933 Chevrolet back in 1971 and got the PA Purple plate on the car from the previous owner.

I don't know how close you live to Harrisburg, but your best bet is to visit the PennDOT building off of I-83 in HBG.

I bought a 2003 BMW Z3 last spring from a woman and her middle initial was wrong on the title. Since the lending bank had the title she did not know of the error until they sent it to her. The notary told her she would have to submit paperwork to have her name corrected prior to notarizing the sale even though the address and everything else was correct.

Instead, her and I met at PennDOT and completed the sale in several minutes. We did not even need to have anything notarized since we were both there and had ID.

When I registered my Triumph TR4 last year no inspection was required, all PennDOT wanted was photos of both sides and the front and back. Again I went to the PennDOT building in HGB.

Bob Beers

AACA, VCCA, VTR, TRA, CPTC

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633CSi

Edited by Vila
Spelling error (see edit history)