Identify year and make of Timkin rear end

just me

If it were me in search of such infomation I would try the good people at Black Canyon City Auto Parts of Black Canyon City Arizona. Do be courtious to offer a fee for his time to serch the many Holander Referances there as it is the largest no crush yard that I do know of. The phone number should be ready available through your phone service. If not leave me a message to fetch it for you.Othrewise I might add that in my 30 + years of working I wood guess it to be late 1930's GM/CHRY.

The chassis is early Cadillac, Mika; and that big bow with the centre hole for a pivot pin tells you immediately that it is either 1913 or 1914. These were the last two of the separate barrell copper jacketed four cylinder models, which had a much longer stroke than the 1912. The sump was aluminium, and the crankcase had limited torsional strength; so the pivot cross bar protected the crankcase from chassis twisting while possibly adding slightly to chassis stiffness. The main difference between 1913 and 1914 is that the latter had a two speed rear end which was so heavy that it is obvious they had limited understanding of the importance of the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight. These long stroke 6 litre fours had great torque down low, but if you look at the Cadillac copper barrel cylinder construction, with head and bore drawn together by a treaded piece with left and right hand threads, and an internal drive hex for assembly, it is obvious that gas flow is progessively very restricted as the revs go up. At a guess, if you put one on a dynomometer the torque would tail off significantly from 1000-1200 rpm. These were the last of their big fours with splash oiling, as typical of practice 10 years earlier. The 1912 with much shorter strong did not run short of breath so dramatically, and was probably a faster car. Cadillacs were always soundly built with exceptional accuracy, but they had to change, and did so dramatically.The 1915 V8 had very very light reciprocating parts and was very efficient for its day. The chassis, front axle and other parts sho deiration from the fours, but the back axle was single speed again but a lower gear ratio because of the high reving engine and because people then liked to do practically all their driving in top gear. Other people might explain this better, because early Cadillacs are not one of my highest obsessional interests. Regards, Ivan