Newport Concours d'Elegance

Bill Clark

Guest Skyking

Bill, Great slide show....... I passed you on Route 4 in North Kingstown pulling your Studebaker. You were heading north. The car looked stunning. I wish I had driven my new 1960 Metropolitan to Newport for that day. I had other plans...........Hope to see you again in Macungie

Guest Leonard Shepherd

Thanks Bill, I have never seen a Muntz Jet that looks like that, but the windshield looks familiar.

I was surprised at the collection cars at this show. What are the entrance requirements for an "Concours d'Elegance" show? What type of cars would be refused?

I was delighted to see the original steamer, but would a 73 ford in the same condition be allowed?

The concours web site explains the show.

http://www.newportconcours.org/index.html

AS I understand it, there was a team from the Concours that reviewed cars in shows and collections in the Northeast and sent invitations after selecting cars that fit with the objectives of the show. I was lucky enough to have my car noticed at the Studebaker Zone meet in Sturbridge last summer (where it won its class) and at Hershey last fall where it won a senior tab. The 53-55 Studebaker is considered somewhat significant as the 53 won more than a dozen art awards when it was announced. The Speedster was a 53 whose design was hijacked by marketing people in a futile effort to increase sales. I feel fortunate to have my car selected.

Although, in my opinion, a 73 Ford is quite significant from a design, emissions, marketing, sales and its effect on the long term health of Ford, it was probably not of cutting edge fashion or design. A similar show 60 years from now might search out a running original 73 Ford.

Bill

Not to mention any specific show, but I know of one where a guy shows up every year in his driver. He happen to take a 2nd place last year because lack of competition in the class. The show just seems to accpet any car almost just to fill up the spaces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Walling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was surprised at the collection cars at this show. What are the entrance requirements for an "Concours d'Elegance" show? What type of cars would be refused?

I was delighted to see the original steamer, but would a 73 ford in the same condition be allowed?

</div></div>

The Concours I'm involved with takes applications. We have a small show so we are very selective. The cars must be original in that they are fitted with factory options. The director of our show hates Continental kits and inappropriate skirts. Fuzzy dice are acceptable.

We take applications for all types of cars and trucks of all years. We take preserved cars as well as restored cars. We only modified cars that are either done by or for a manufacturer. That would include professional vehicles done with factory permission.

Where a concours is different from a club showing is that the judges are charged with detecting the wow power of the cars. That can include a number of subjective aspects that some have a problem with. I personally enjoy having people tell me what they like about my car, not what's wrong with it. Concours are simply beauty contests. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you think a '53 Chevy is beautiful, vote for it as People's Choice. You get a say in who gets that award.

Concours are typically held on lush lawns of golf clubs and mansions. The shows started in Paris as a means to get wealthy people from all over together in one place to see the wares of the various fine automobile, furniture, fur, clothing and jewelry makers. It was a lifestyle show of the times.

Today, the shows are all about the cars but offer automotive artwork and other wares. To me, it's an opportunity to play with the rich and famous, without being either.